Edit Only?

hAppy

Gawd
Hey guys, I have 3 comps on a network, one acts as a server, the other 2 comps have their "My Documents" mapped to the server's My Documents. Is it possible that I only allow the other 2 comps to read and edit documents, but not delete it? It's very important that no one deletes it on accident or anything.

The reason I asked this is cus someone told me when you delete someone's documetns from another computer, it's just gone. I got that info here in H. Thanks.

I'm assuming that you're using XP Pro or Windows 2003 for the server - in that case the answer is yes. Go into the folder's properties and click the security tab. In there, you can fine-tune the permissions so that a user is incapable of deleting files.

However, if this is a user's "My Docs" folder that you're removing delete privs from, that seems rather odd. A better solution in my idea would be to get backup software so that everything in those folders is backed up either to another folder or to offsite/removable media on a nightly basis so that if a file is deleted, it can be recovered.

Umm that sounds right what you told me, I will try it later. We have 3 computers that share one My Documents folder from the "main" computer, we don't want other people accidentally deleting stuff off the main computer. So that'd be fit for the scenario right? Thanks.

I second the backup plan, in addition to the permission plan.

I found Argentum Backup to be absolutley fabulous and very cheap. Archives and stacks your stuff into zip files on schedules. :(y):

I will look into the backup thing as well thanks! How do I go about doing NTFS permission, I can't find it, I don't really know where to start. Thanks! Looks like we're on the right track.

How would I get to this window guys??

ntfs_p5.gif

Right click on a volume, folder or file, then click properties. As long as your partitions are formatted NTFS and you are not using Simple file sharing you will have a security tab. Those are NTFS permissions.

When I right click properties on say... My Documents, it doesn't show Security. How do I turn off simple sharing? THanks!

Go to 'My Computer'
''Tools>Folder Options>view'

unclick simple file sharing

If I deny "Modify" then it won't let me delete, BUT it also won't let me add files into the folder from client computers. Is there a way around this? I know I'm a comp newbie, help me. Thanks!

How would I set it to not allow deleting, but allow adding files to the folder?

you don't have permission for some reason. make sure you're logged in as administrator. if you still don't then you might not have ownership. take ownership and try again.

Back