edimax repeater won't get internet

knoximator

n00b
a friend of mine just got a new edimax modem+router and an edimax AP/repeater to extend the range (big house)

modem router:AR-7265WnA

http://www.edimax.com/en/produce_detail.php?pd_id=264&pl1_id=1&pl2_id=3

AP/repeater: EW-7416APn http://www.edimax.com/en/support_detail.php?pd_id=253&pl1_id=1

both support wifi-n standart.

i got the router configured normally and everything fine there.
got to configuring the repeater.manual asked me to set a static ip to the pc, connect the repeater to that pc (repeater default ip is 192.168.2.1 same as router....)
did that and managed to get to the web configure page, set the AP to be repeater and put the main network from the router as the network the repeater should work with.
ssid and channel are the same as main network.
finally i changed the repeater ip to 192.168.2.254 (checked, DHCP is off in the repeater)

disconnected the repeater from the pc, and reset the ip of that pc.
connected to the repeater wifi network, got a normal ip address on the pc.
tried to get google.com, but nothing.

i've tried many thing, updated the firmware of the repeater, removed the wifi security....
nothing. the repeater will not get an internet connection

at my house, also got a repeater configure (dlink dap1150) works great.

please help me.....

I've had terrible experiences with repeaters. Not that I can't get them to work...but that I can't get them to work reliably.

Here's what I'd recommend.

Buy a EoPL (ethernet over power line) adapter. Plug one side in by your current router, and another in a far away spot in the house.

Then buy a wireless AP. Plug the new AP in the far away part of the house.

If all your gear is pretty current, you can set both AP's to the same SSID and your clients will just roam. If some gear is old, then set two SSIDs and the clients will hop over (with some delay).

But that'd be a ton cleaner setup. Repeaters suck.

well i've actually just taken the repeater to try in my house and my network.

configured it, changed the settings (my netowrk isn't wifi-n), different security.

got it working in under 5 minutes.

i'm starting to think it might be the main router of my friend that's causing the problems or the fact that it's in N network.

i'll try some other stuff to check

The repeaters are finicky. They only like to repeat certain routers. I've tried repeating some routers and changed it to b,g WEP64,WEP128, WPA/TKIP, etc etc and only very certain combinations work and only with the right hardware.

Best of luck, but this repeater stuff is definitely for hobbyists...just takes too much monkeying around.

Back