Edge vs: Chrome

Just got a 15" Surface Book 2 512GB the other day and have been going through the routine of installing stuff on a new machine. I actually use voice with Cortana and I download and install a lot of stuff by just asking Cortana to download it. "Hey Cortana, download Chrome". Brings up the web site to install in the Cortana search results, click that link, click download, go through the install, done. I use Edge as the default but have Chrome and FF installed as well. With FF Cortana took me to a Bing results page highlighting Edge at the top but there's a Download button just below those results, download, install and done. On latest build of Fall Creators Update.

Wouldn't it be a BIT easier to just type the search instead? Cortana is great for handicaps, I'm sure.

after using it for a few days I'm officially on board with Edge over Chrome...I wish both would allow more customization of the button layout...I want to be able to re-arrange and move the icons to my preference...even Internet Explorer used to allow this...Chrome is a bit faster but other then that I like Edge better overall...why does Edge need 2 'Favorites' icons?...one for actually adding a favorite/bookmark and a separate one to actually view them (called the Hub)...they should combine that into one...I also wish they would allow users to remove the Reading View and Add Notes icons...too much clutter

after using it for a few days I'm officially on board with Edge over Chrome...I wish both would allow more customization of the button layout...I want to be able to re-arrange and move the icons to my preference...even Internet Explorer used to allow this...Chrome is a bit faster but other then that I like Edge better overall...why does Edge need 2 'Favorites' icons?...one for actually adding a favorite/bookmark and a separate one to actually view them (called the Hub)...they should combine that into one...I also wish they would allow users to remove the Reading View and Add Notes icons...too much clutter

So you actually got Edge to work with sites. Does it even have a script/ad block feature or addon?

So you actually got Edge to work with sites. Does it even have a script/ad block feature or addon?

there's an AdBlock add-on but it gets mixed reviews...I haven't run into any issues with websites...this is the first time I've ever used Edge for an extensive period of time so maybe it was much worse in earlier versions...Chrome is faster but has some annoying UI quirks...in benchmarks Edge is right there with Chrome for the most part

there's an AdBlock add-on but it gets mixed reviews...I haven't run into any issues with websites...this is the first time I've ever used Edge for an extensive period of time so maybe it was much worse in earlier versions...Chrome is faster but has some annoying UI quirks...in benchmarks Edge is right there with Chrome for the most part

I tried edge a couple of times but the minimalist UI alone is a complete turnoff. Then when it was buggy with sites also I never looked again.

I tried edge a couple of times but the minimalist UI alone is a complete turnoff. Then when it was buggy with sites also I never looked again.

the minimalist UI is actually what I like...I wish I could remove even more of the icons such as Reading View etc...

Edge is meant to run on touch devices but that doesn't really have any impact on how it works with a keyboard and mouse.

It has a lot of impact with missing gui elements and it's incredibly annoying. I would never use it. Especially knowing the track record of built in browsers in MS products - the prime weakness for targeting attacks.

It has a lot of impact with missing gui elements and it's incredibly annoying. I would never use it. Especially knowing the track record of built in browsers in MS products - the prime weakness for targeting attacks.

This 100%.

I find the 'well spaced' and simplistic UI of Edge very annoying - It's definitely a tablet browser for the desktop and if I was running the mobile version of Chrome or Firefox on the desktop I'd be saying the same thing.

Just run FF Quantum and customize until your hearts content, most definitely the best browser available at the moment with the most flexibility.

This 100%.

I find the 'well spaced' and simplistic UI of Edge very annoying - It's definitely a tablet browser for the desktop and if I was running the mobile version of Chrome or Firefox on the desktop I'd be saying the same thing.

Just run FF Quantum and customize until your hearts content, most definitely the best browser available at the moment with the most flexibility.

While Edge is my primary browser I use Chrome quite a bit and Quantum now and then as well. All three to varying extents are tablet browsers even in Windows. Edge uses flat element design principles common in mobile development while Chrome and FF use more traditional Windows desktop battleship gray menus. Not really sure how one is more simplistic than the other, flat design is just becoming more common, even desktop apps are using it like Spotify.

A Windows browser these days has to accommodate touch and tablets considering how many of those devices exist now and increasingly due to mobile devices web sites are becoming more touch friendly. Edge is probably the best. Chrome is pretty good these days with touch but some of those "complex desktop" UI elements can be a little clunky. FF Quantum actually does a descent job on the UI front, elements will display larger when being accessed through touch than a mouse. However FF still doesn't have some basic stuff like fluid pinch-zooming.

While Edge is my primary browser I use Chrome quite a bit and Quantum now and then as well. All three to varying extents are tablet browsers even in Windows. Edge uses flat element design principles common in mobile development while Chrome and FF use more traditional Windows desktop battleship gray menus. Not really sure how one is more simplistic than the other, flat design is just becoming more common, even desktop apps are using it like Spotify.

A Windows browser these days has to accommodate touch and tablets considering how many of those devices exist now and increasingly due to mobile devices web sites are becoming more touch friendly. Edge is probably the best. Chrome is pretty good these days with touch but some of those "complex desktop" UI elements can be a little clunky. FF Quantum actually does a descent job on the UI front, elements will display larger when being accessed through touch than a mouse. However FF still doesn't have some basic stuff like fluid pinch-zooming.

Touch is for the elderly and generation whatever who err to think a mobile phone is for browsing.

Which is one of the biggest problems with Windows 10, it has to accommodate touch as well as desktop devices. I use a desktop, I want a purely desktop experience with a desktop UI and the density that comes with a desktop UI. I use my desktop as it allows for a complexity that makes life easier when performing complex tasks via a keyboard and mouse that a touch UI hinders.

Quantum can be configured for touch density.

Which is one of the biggest problems with Windows 10, it has to accommodate touch as well as desktop devices. I use a desktop, I want a purely desktop experience with a desktop UI and the density that comes with a desktop UI. I use my desktop as it allows for a complexity that makes life easier when performing complex tasks via a keyboard and mouse that a touch UI hinders.

I think this gets overstated. How much different is it really to use Windows 10 versus Windows 7 or even a Linux distro with a keyboard and mouse? Most of those interactions in typical day to day use are driven applications. Chrome or Quantum work pretty much the same with keyboard and mouse across desktop OSes and versions. Yes there are some aesthetic differences, things like Control Panel versus Settings, but those are things that a matter of preference and familiarity, not so much inherent efficiency.

Quantum can be configured for touch density.

As I said earlier, Quantum does some of this stuff automatically, menus are sized larger when activated via touch. Pinch-zoom doesn't work well, at least not out of the box like Chrome or Edge.

I think this gets overstated. How much different is it really to use Windows 10 versus Windows 7 or even a Linux distro with a keyboard and mouse? Most of those interactions in typical day to day use are driven applications. Chrome or Quantum work pretty much the same with keyboard and mouse across desktop OSes and versions. Yes there are some aesthetic differences, things like Control Panel versus Settings, but those are things that a matter of preference and familiarity, not so much inherent efficiency.

I don't know about that.

PC = keyboard and mouse as it's more efficient on a desktop platform. There's a reason why the iPad is no good for typing up essay's.

Touch = simplicity for the average person interested in Facebook, web browsing and checking emails. Even Windows 10 Mail is one of the worst mail clients ever created, a client that's obviously geared more towards touch devices just like Edge.

I don't know about that.

PC = keyboard and mouse as it's more efficient on a desktop platform. There's a reason why the iPad is no good for typing up essay's.

Touch = simplicity for the average person interested in Facebook, web browsing and checking emails. Even Windows 10 Mail is one of the worst mail clients ever created, a client that's obviously geared more towards touch devices just like Edge.
Agreed. Touch is a compromise, pure and simple. It has it's place, but it's not to replace kb&m, but rather to supplement it when the usage profile is more consuming, less producing.

Even Windows 10 Mail is one of the worst mail clients ever created, a client that's obviously geared more towards touch devices just like Edge.

Even if this is true, I disagree, I use the 10 mail client everyday with a keyboard and mouse, it's fine with a keyboard and mouse for basic stuff. But if one thinks not, use Outlook, Thunderbird, etc. Writing that essay, programming in an IDE, video editing, etc. there's simply no different between Windows 10 compared to 7 on anything else. Those applications ALL work the same with mouse keyboard. Indeed out of the box, Windows 10 has some nice additions for desktop users the better task bar, task view and multiple desktops. On a laptop with a trackpad, you can navigate programs with swipes with the trackpad.

I've been using Windows 10 everyday for three years now and I to this day just don't see that much difference from Windows 7 on the desktop for day to day operation of desktop applications.

Even if this is true, I disagree, I use the 10 mail client everyday with a keyboard and mouse, it's fine with a keyboard and mouse for basic stuff. But if one thinks not, use Outlook, Thunderbird, etc. Writing that essay, programming in an IDE, video editing, etc. there's simply no different between Windows 10 compared to 7 on anything else. Those applications ALL work the same with mouse keyboard. Indeed out of the box, Windows 10 has some nice additions for desktop users the better task bar, task view and multiple desktops. On a laptop with a trackpad, you can navigate programs with swipes with the trackpad.

I've been using Windows 10 everyday for three years now and I to this day just don't see that much difference from Windows 7 on the desktop for day to day operation of desktop applications.

The Windows 10 mail client is terrible.

From problems with attachments to no way to effectively edit auto complete fields to problems with contacts and a distinct lack of control - It's far too stripped out to be an effective desktop mail client.

If you like it, good for you. It's still terrible.

The Windows 10 mail client is terrible.

From problems with attachments to no way to effectively edit auto complete fields to problems with contacts and a distinct lack of control - It's far too stripped out to be an effective desktop mail client.

If you like it, good for you. It's still terrible.

Well my point was that Windows 10 for day to day use when it comes to productivity works just as well as anything else with a keyboard and mouse since the applications are the same. Ok, you think Windows 10 mail is terrible, all I said is that it works fine with a mouse and keyboard for basic mail use. I also use Outlook personally but mostly for work.

I get hatting on Windows 10 but something I just don't buy because after this amount of time having used it I'd get obvious problems with using it a keyboard and mouse. The issues with Windows 8.x in that regard I said much about, the full screen elements were the huge problem there and that's not the case with 10.

Windows 10's UI has a lot of inconsistencies in the shell, it's obvious. The touch stuff adds to that but no where near the point 8.x did. But when it comes to typing up that essay, writing code, using Chrome or Outlook or whatever, Windows 10 is no different from any other desktop OS. All of that is driven by the programs. Libre Office I assure you works just fine with a keyboard and mouse in Windows 10. Toally sucks with touch and pen though.

Windows 10 developers may think they made improvements but what happened in reality is that with every new revision of the OS, GUI elements have been moved and hidden in order to achieve a flat simplisti look. Yeah looks pretty but it's an infuriating hunt trying to find settings and functions.

Add that to largely malfunctioning search... not fun.

I'm so thankful I haven't had to use Windows for much anything for years.

Well my point was that Windows 10 for day to day use when it comes to productivity works just as well as anything else with a keyboard and mouse since the applications are the same. Ok, you think Windows 10 mail is terrible, all I said is that it works fine with a mouse and keyboard for basic mail use. I also use Outlook personally but mostly for work.

The point is, that as a desktop mail client it's stripped out, overly simplistic and unreliable - It's the equivalent of using the Gmail app for your iPhone as your desktop mail client, you wouldn't do such a thing. Make it a touch OS or make it a desktop OS, forget about making it both.

The point is, that as a desktop mail client it's stripped out, overly simplistic and unreliable - It's the equivalent of using the Gmail app for your iPhone as your desktop mail client, you wouldn't do such a thing. Make it a touch OS or make it a desktop OS, forget about making it both.

What do most people do with email day to day that requires a complex mail client? If someone needs more then there's plenty of other options. And it's not like you can't have multiple email clients.

And from my perspective it's also showing for you - you're stuck to windows and fail to see its flaws.

Some make claims about things like the hybrid UI being a problem for keyboard and mouse use in Windows 10 when in day to day use Windows 10 works pretty much the same as Windows 7 because so much of that interaction is driven by the applications. Chrome, Libre Office, pick whatever classic desktop application you want, it'll work just as it has always with a keyboard and mouse in Windows 10.

I use Windows 10 daily on various devices, both touch and non-touch. I get the problems with Windows 10 telemetry, updates, etc. and there are legitimate issues here, I've never denied that. But the hybrid UI approach I think works pretty well. It allows Windows 10 to be used on various form factors much better than previous attempts to do this with Windows going back to Windows XP Tablet PC Edition.

Some make claims about things like the hybrid UI being a problem for keyboard and mouse use in Windows 10 when in day to day use Windows 10 works pretty much the same as Windows 7 because so much of that interaction is driven by the applications. Chrome, Libre Office, pick whatever classic desktop application you want, it'll work just as it has always with a keyboard and mouse in Windows 10.

I use Windows 10 daily on various devices, both touch and non-touch. I get the problems with Windows 10 telemetry, updates, etc. and there are legitimate issues here, I've never denied that. But the hybrid UI approach I think works pretty well. It allows Windows 10 to be used on various form factors much better than previous attempts to do this with Windows going back to Windows XP Tablet PC Edition.

The hybrid UI is not the main issue. It's hiding settings and elements from user, or moving them to other places. It's exremely annoying and useless.

The hybrid UI is not the main issue. It's hiding settings and elements from user, or moving them to other places. It's exremely annoying and useless.

I do agree with you on some of this. When you change things that are decades old it can be problematic. However the Control Panel was never really organized and there are things all over the place. And i get having things split between Settings and the Control Panel. But I think it's at the point where the average user won't spend much time dealing with the Control Panel. Most of the major day to day settings are now in Settings.

Actually, it's not a case of making a desktop version or touch version of the OS. All the OS needs is two distinct UIs. It shouldn't be anywhere near difficult to do so. Linux has shittons of different Window Managers and Desktop Environments. I simply do not believe that MS doesn't have the resources to do two UIs which you could choose from. I also do not believe it would be all that difficult.

Win2k probably had my favorite UI design and setup. It was simple, easy to use and you didn't have to go through 20 different screens/panels to find most settings. There's a reason I always used that skin for XP. It's also why I preferred Gnome2 back in the day. It had a very similar look and feel.

Actually, it's not a case of making a desktop version or touch version of the OS. All the OS needs is two distinct UIs. It shouldn't be anywhere near difficult to do so. Linux has shittons of different Window Managers and Desktop Environments. I simply do not believe that MS doesn't have the resources to do two UIs which you could choose from. I also do not believe it would be all that difficult.

Win2k probably had my favorite UI design and setup. It was simple, easy to use and you didn't have to go through 20 different screens/panels to find most settings. There's a reason I always used that skin for XP. It's also why I preferred Gnome2 back in the day. It had a very similar look and feel.

100% agreed. Do one thing and do it well. Windows 2000 did that one thing and it did it very well.

Actually, it's not a case of making a desktop version or touch version of the OS. All the OS needs is two distinct UIs.

Windows 10 has a tablet mode that does adapt the UI to be more touch friendly and elements of the shell size themselves larger when activated by touch.

Windows 10 has a tablet mode that does adapt the UI to be more touch friendly and elements of the shell size themselves larger when activated by touch.

Which isn't the issue.

Where's the 'desktop mode' that does away with any touch UI elements of the OS altogether leaving an experience like every other desktop OS out there.

[Note the lack of a question mark, there's no absolute need to reply as no question mark indicates a statement and statements don't require justification].

Which only proves the point that the UI doesn't need to be a mess of touch inspired junk for the desktop version and there's no reason they can't handle two UIs. As we already know, MS has had plenty of experience with successful desktop mouse/keyboard UIs over the years. Everything they need is basically already there.

Which only proves the point that the UI doesn't need to be a mess of touch inspired junk for the desktop version and there's no reason they can't handle two UIs. As we already know, MS has had plenty of experience with successful desktop mouse/keyboard UIs over the years. Everything they need is basically already there.

I'm just trying to identify specific cases where 10 is much different than 7 in day to day use with a keyboard and mouse.

Back