Edge Beats Chrome Again in Battery Life, Brags Microsoft

I use it...to install Firefox or Chrome. I can't say I give a shit what they say about battery life as I don't give a crap about battery life on a laptop. All of mine run long enough that getting to a power source is never a question. Sorry I'm unwilling to tolerate internet explorer (I don't give a crap what they rebrand it as) on my machine.

Just download the corporate/full version of FF or Chrome to a flash drive and you'll never have to worry about using it ever again :)

Since Linux can't run a lot of stuff, it would be logical not to waste time on Linux. Is that your point? If so it is a good one.

Sure, but some folks love to scream bias when someone points out things that Windows can do or supports, especially Windows 10. With Edge, don't like it don't use it. That doesn't mean it doesn't do some things well.

Just download the corporate/full version of FF or Chrome to a flash drive and you'll never have to worry about using it ever again :)
True, but usually by the time I need to install it again I've lost said thumb drive.

Lots of generalized, unsubstantiated Edge hate in here - as expected! It's actually decent, though I still prefer Chrome, Edge IS more efficient these days in quite a few ways. Bing does suck, but that doesn't stop you from using Google in Edge.

Also, LOL @ FF. Now THAT is a shit browser! It beats no one in anything, uses resources like mad, renders most sites incorrectly (or many), and is about as efficient as a hamster wheel for a power station. I have to use all three regularly at work, and troubleshoot them for 50 other users... guess which one is ALWAYS the worst? Hint: It's not Edge, by far.

Lots of generalized, unsubstantiated Edge hate in here - as expected! It's actually decent, though I still prefer Chrome, Edge IS more efficient these days in quite a few ways. Bing does suck, but that doesn't stop you from using Google in Edge.

Also, LOL @ FF. Now THAT is a shit browser! It beats no one in anything, uses resources like mad, renders most sites incorrectly (or many), and is about as efficient as a hamster wheel for a power station. I have to use all three regularly at work, and troubleshoot them for 50 other users... guess which one is ALWAYS the worst? Hint: It's not Edge, by far.

This... All this blind W10/Edge hate on the forum is a bit ridiculous. Most of the common complaints about 10 can be disabled with a single pre-written PS script available multiple places online. Edge took some time getting to where it's at, but it's surprisingly good. It also follows web standards better than most browsers, so it's much easier for web developers compared to chrome/ff/safari and especially *shudders* IE. I was surprised when I found that out from our development team.

And FF has been garbage since they changed to short major releases after v4 that started breaking addons and causing performance issues. Chrome is ok, but spies on you more than w10 and wants ALL THE RAM....

Chrome is ok, but spies on you more than w10 and wants ALL THE RAM....

Eh, no. OS level spying in 10 with thousands of datapoints being collected in Basic mode, is far worse than browser level spying in Chrome. Pretty blatant difference to anyone kool-aid free.

I can close Chrome or never even install it, and install FF or any number of browsers and continue to work/play. I can't close Windows 10 and continue to work/play.

Eh, no. OS level spying in 10 with thousands of datapoints being collected in Basic mode, is far worse than browser level spying in Chrome. It does not require complex brain function to understand the difference.

I can close Chrome or never even install it, and install FF or anything else and continue to work/play. I can't close Windows 10 and continue to work/play.

You also have to consider that Edge is bundled with Windows 10, there is no need for MS to keep promoting it over ever other browser as they gain nothing by doing so - Or do they?

The only logical reason MS would promote Edge so forcefully (and they do promote it forcefully with every Windows update) is due to the fact that Edge harvests even more data for MS to sell to third parties, there's no other logical reason for MS to even care about promoting their browser when the consumer has no choice but to have it installed by default.

Well, I pretty much use Edge exclusively now and do not really notice any difference between it and Firefox. (Firefox on an Android phone does seem slower than Edge though.) I rarely use Chrome because I do not like a barren landscape to do my browsing on. (Been that way for me since the early Chrome release days and I used Firefox most often then.)

I am in the USA so at least here, Bing works extremely well and I use it most of the time. I use the same on my Essential Phone. Yes, there is a lot of blind hatred or just plain bandwagoning about anything Microsoft related but hey, whatever, enjoy being part of that sheep mentality, I guess. As far as I am concerned though, I do not consider any of the browsers as "crap", just prefer to use some more than others. :)

You also have to consider that Edge is bundled with Windows 10, there is no need for MS to keep promoting it over ever other browser as they gain nothing by doing so - Or do they?

The only logical reason MS would promote Edge so forcefully (and they do promote it forcefully with every Windows update) is due to the fact that Edge harvests even more data for MS to sell to third parties, there's no other logical reason for MS to even care about promoting their browser when the consumer has no choice but to have it installed by default.

Hope that tinfoil hat is not cutting into your forehead to much, considering how tight you have it on.

Well, I pretty much use Edge exclusively now and do not really notice any difference between it and Firefox. (Firefox on an Android phone does seem slower than Edge though.) I rarely use Chrome because I do not like a barren landscape to do my browsing on. (Been that way for me since the early Chrome release days and I used Firefox most often then.)

I am in the USA so at least here, Bing works extremely well and I use it most of the time. I use the same on my Essential Phone. Yes, there is a lot of blind hatred or just plain bandwagoning about anything Microsoft related but hey, whatever, enjoy being part of that sheep mentality, I guess. As far as I am concerned though, I do not consider any of the browsers as "crap", just prefer to use some more than others. :)

Hope that tinfoil hat is not cutting into your forehead to much, considering how tight you have it on.
I would not have guessed......

Tinfoil hat? I would say he is 99.9999999% right. But there is always the small chance he is not.

Damn, what is all this Edge hate? Was very barebones in Windows 10 1507, but now is pretty full fledged.

Eh, no. OS level spying in 10 with thousands of datapoints being collected in Basic mode, is far worse than browser level spying in Chrome. Pretty blatant difference to anyone kool-aid free.

I can close Chrome or never even install it, and install FF or any number of browsers and continue to work/play. I can't close Windows 10 and continue to work/play.

Seems you own an Android phone. Maybe you should stfu about Windows 10 telemetry "spying".

Damn, what is all this Edge hate? Was very barebones in Windows 10 1507, but now is pretty full fledged.

Seems you own an Android phone. Maybe you should stfu about Windows 10 telemetry "spying".
Probably because it has enhanced spyware/data collection/etc most likely. Also chrome works fine so not a big deal. Android or Apple, no difference in the spying department.

Probably because it has enhanced spyware/data collection/etc most likely. Also chrome works fine so not a big deal. Android or Apple, no difference in the spying department.

I'm sorry, but I have to call out you out for being a Google apologist. All three companies collect telemetry data, but what they choose to do with them is telling. How do we know? Just following the money trail.

Apple and Microsoft combined is about 1/10 of Google in terms of ad revenue. Google is actively selling your user data to anyone with money. The money trail does not lie.

Facebook, ironically, was the #2 in advertising revenue. And they're not even an OS. So this whole argument that being an application/service automatically makes it less suspect than the OS is full oh shit.

Android as an OS is open source, check the code, it's not the component doing the spying.

I'm sorry, but I have to call out you out for being a Google apologist. All three companies collect telemetry data, but what they choose to do with them is telling. How do we know? Just following the money trail.

Apple and Microsoft combined is about 1/10 of Google in terms of ad revenue. Google is actively selling your user data to anyone with money. The money trail does not lie.

Facebook, ironically, was the #2 in advertising revenue. And they're not even an OS. So this whole argument that being an application automatically makes it less suspect than the OS is full oh shit.
They all do yeah, not sure your point? Google apologist? Apologize for what exactly?

They all do yeah, not sure your point? Google apologist? Apologize for what exactly?

In your previous argument, you are attempting to equate Google/Apple/Microsoft 'spying' as the same.

When only one of them literally makes 10x the money of the other two combined. So no, they are an order of magnitude off.

In your previous argument, you are attempting to equate Google/Apple/Microsoft 'spying' as the same.

When only one of them literally makes 10x the money of the other two combined. So no, they are an order of magnitude off.
No, I am sure MS has extra spying since it is their OS, and chrome works great. I put in an address, it goes to it. Pretty simple. I wish Linux would get off their ass and make all games work on it and the Rift.

No, I am sure MS has extra spying since it is their OS, and chrome works great. I put in an address, it goes to it. Pretty simple. I wish Linux would get off their ass and make all games work on it and the Rift.

Wow, great misdirection. You fail to answer my point on the advertising revenue. If all 3 'are they same' in terms of spying, why the fuck is one of the 3 making 10x more money in ad revenue (e.g. peddling user info)? So if the great and all powerful Microsoft has extra spying on their own OS. Why the fuck are they making shit for advertising revenue? Or are they collecting all the telemetry and storing it just because they are /r/datahoarder? Or, tinfoil hat on, they actually use most of it for technical purposes? Like how my Nvidia drivers on my laptop crashes every other week for no reason and trying to resolve compatibility issues.

Also, are you sure you know what a browser is supposed to do? 20 years ago, I used Netscape v2 or IE vWhatever and you put in an address and it goes to it.

Wow, great misdirection. You fail to answer my point on the advertising revenue. If all 3 'are they same' in terms of spying, why the fuck is one of the 3 making 10x more money in ad revenue (e.g. peddling user info)? So if the great and all powerful Microsoft has extra spying on their own OS. Why the fuck are they making shit for advertising revenue? Or are they collecting all the telemetry and storing it just because they are /r/datahoarder? Or, tinfoil hat on, they actually use most of it for technical purposes? Like how my Nvidia drivers on my laptop crashes every other week for no reason and trying to resolve compatibility issues.

Also, are you sure you know what a browser is supposed to do? 20 years ago, I used Netscape v2 or IE vWhatever and you put in an address and it goes to it.
I think you like to see yourself type. Not sure all the content but I am sure it is good, just like chrome is good. Sorry I don't worship all that is MS. I use what I like and works.
It's pretty simple.

Android as an OS is open source, check the code, it's not the component doing the spying.

Partially correct.

The completely open-source ASOP is literally unusable in a modern phone. Google has long since abandoned development of the open-source apps in favor of closed source replacements. Any phone company would have to spend a ton of resources to replace the Google services. Thus, phone makers in the US and most of the world do not ship the fully open sourced version.

I've actually tried to find a phone completely void of Google services, but it's actually quite an endeavor. Of course, most phones in China are void of it, but then you're stuck with a Chinese ecosystem of apps.

Partially correct.

The completely open-source ASOP is literally unusable in a modern phone. Google has long since abandoned development of the open-source apps in favor of closed source replacements. Any phone company would have to spend a ton of resources to replace the Google services. Thus, phone makers in the US and most of the world do not ship the fully open sourced version.

I've actually tried to find a phone completely void of Google services, but it's actually quite an endeavor. Of course, most phones in China are void of it, but then you're stuck with a Chinese ecosystem of apps.

Android is based on Linux, the OS is open source according to the GPL.

The closed source component is Google Apps and Android can run quite comfortably without Google Apps. I did it quite easily.

Android is based on Linux, the OS is open source according to the GPL.

The closed source component is Google Apps and Android can run quite comfortably without Google Apps. I did it quite easily.

Yes, I compiled ASOP and ran it on a Nexus 5X. It runs.

Then when you want to do something with the phone, you're pretty f'ked. Many Android apps, even sideloaded, do not work properly without Google Services. So unless you want to use a modern phone as a glorified phone book, usefulness goes down quite a bit. Can it be done? Yes. Is it practical? No.

Edit: I'm currently in China now, and its surprising the amount of US websites that are broken due to use of Google for services. Can't imagine running any Android phone here.

Last edited:
Yes, I compiled ASOP and ran it on a Nexus 5X. It runs.

Then when you want to do something with the phone, you're pretty f'ked. Many Android apps, even sideloaded, do not work properly. So unless you want to use a modern phone as a glorified phone book, usefulness goes down quite a bit.

The fact is, your wrong.

Android is not spying at OS level like Windows 10. You can opt out of the spying if you want, just like Facebook and Google you have options. When it comes to Windows 10 however, the Connected User Experience is enabled no matter what unless you're lucky enough to run Windows 10 Enterprise.

No one should be stating that what Microsoft is doing is acceptable. Not interested in some drawn out argument on the topic, use whatever you think is more suitable for yourself, I couldn't care less. ;)

So, back to our regularly scheduled topic or as Kyle would say, Keep Calm and Stay on Topic. :D Anyways, prior versions of Edge did not quite do it for me, script's would hang or some sites would take off to the races on how much memory could be used. This latest version is actually quite good and I will stick with it. Otherwise, I will use Firefox since I do have it installed.

So, back to our regularly scheduled topic or as Kyle would say, Keep Calm and Stay on Topic. :D Anyways, prior versions of Edge did not quite do it for me, script's would hang or some sites would take off to the races on how much memory could be used. This latest version is actually quite good and I will stick with it. Otherwise, I will use Firefox since I do have it installed.
So it is kind of up to both sides to make sure of compatibility? (browser and site?) I have not even tempted to make a website in a decade or 2. :)

What does Microsoft mean by "again"? The last time they claimed this they were debunked by independent testing, which showed that Chrome and Opera both have better battery life than Edge:

Maybe a bit off-topic, but the screencap for this vid just moved LInus above Ajit Pai on my "Most punchable faces" list.

Yet I still would rather stick my dick in a blender than use Edge.

Oh gee, look, I am using Edge and do not even notice that I am. Good thing that a browser does is that it does what you need and gets out of the way. Edge does that...…. :)

Oh gee, look, I am using Edge and do not even notice that I am. Good thing that a browser does is that it does what you need and gets out of the way. Edge does that...…. :)
As do others. Not a big deal.

The test is crap, and its something its can be specifically optimized for a lot.. thay being said Mozilla should optimize video playback in their browser if its true across other tests that huge gap.

Edge is a pretty good browser. I still use Firefox most the time but Edge is not far behind. Edge has little a few little annoyances like browser focus is never in the place it should be but they seem to be silently fixing these issues over time.

Typical of people on here, they love to opine about something they have never used.

Every time I've tried it over the years, it would still freeze doing simple things like opening a new tab. Eventually I stopped bothering to try. But mostly there was literally no reason to use it over Chrome or Firefox, it did nothing better and most things worse. Look no further than the best thing MS can come up is this debunked nonsense about better battery life.

Maybe things have improved, but first impressions matter and that's its biggest problem. Most users will try something once or twice and bail - not keep coming back to see if MS finally got it right this time. Tying Edge updates to the biannual windows updates has also held it back.

Last edited:
The fact is, your wrong.

Android is not spying at OS level like Windows 10. You can opt out of the spying if you want, just like Facebook and Google you have options. When it comes to Windows 10 however, the Connected User Experience is enabled no matter what unless you're lucky enough to run Windows 10 Enterprise.

No one should be stating that what Microsoft is doing is acceptable. Not interested in some drawn out argument on the topic, use whatever you think is more suitable for yourself, I couldn't care less. ;)

Opt out of spying on Android? Are you joking? Try opting out of 'spying' on gmail. Then make some email conversations (has to be realistic) between you and a friend discussing certain housing renovations. Watch as rather specific ads magically come about.

Google is an advertising company, using tech to achieve significant results. Over 3/4 of their revenue is ad based. Their ad business is bar none, as advertisers pay them top $. Why? Because they have TONS of information on people who use their services. Thus, they can have extremely targeted and effective ads. Every single Google service is built for one purpose, to gather information on the user for their purpose of advertising. If you think flipping some button will disable Google's data gathering (their bread and butter), then I also have some seaside property to sell you in Arizona.

https://www.digitalcommerce360.com/2018/02/01/googles-ad-revenue-jumps-nearly-25-in-2017/
https://www.recode.net/2017/7/24/16...obile-ad-revenue-world-leader-facebook-growth

For FY 2017, Alphabet took in $95 Billion in ad revenues. They are 1/3 of *global* ad revenue. Tell me again why some of the same people complaining about MS telemetry data is snug with their Google Services. Other people just like to rationalize themselves by equating corporations as "equals" even though the $ does not lie.

I've personally never used G-Suite, so I can't test whether or not what they're saying is true. I know for Gmail, there was supposedly an opt-out, but that was just a placebo (tested this personally) that worked whenever Google felt like it. Regardless, G-Suite is a small subset of Google Services on Android. There are other ways to datamine.

If you use a free service like Gmail, what do you expect?

I use Outlook and Protonmail (they don't even have ads, but the most limited). I've never seen ads directly tailored to me. IMO, it's a good sign that I'm seeing random ads that I don't give a shit about. It implies that that particular service doesn't datamine on me.

Back