Ed Crisler on Sappher's RX 480 power draw

Daniel_Chang

[H]ard|Gawd
i'm starting the video at the appropriate spot.

He hammers exactly what I've been saying. The Reference card has base/boost clocks of 1120/1266, but it hovers below 1200. In The Witcher 3 it's usually 1120-1150. The reference card has a TDP of 150W but hovers around 165W.

Sapphire's clocks on this card are 1208/1342, and it hovers OVER 1300 almost all the time. It has a 225W TDP and hovers around 210W. So while the overclock seems light (6% boost OC), the sustained clocks are about 13% higher (and more in extreme cases), which is why the card performs as well as it does. A recent review showed the Sapphire card with a 25% performance lead in RotTR over the reference card!

I actually love the bios feature. I wish everycard and every manufacturer had it. Flip the switch and up the power envelope up and clocks up. Just so damn easy lol, lazy man's best friend.

Very nice card, smart design with the fan change out ability. Yes the bios switch is great, especially if you flash cards, you don't have to worry about losing your card from a bad flash. I hope HardOCP gets to review one of these in the near future.

The 225w Power Draw is why I want to see a 480 with 2 power connectors.

Some people don't care about power/heat, and care more about price/performance... 970s had 2 power connectors (although standard) and 3 fan models, so I don't understand why no one would want to make a 480 of such type in order to engulf the enthusiast AMD crowd until Vega comes out. It would certainly be the choice of anyone utilizing water cooling.

With 25% performance increase on the Saphire already, the extra heat/power could be worth it.

How far can the 480 chip be pushed?!

The 225w Power Draw is why I want to see a 480 with 2 power connectors.

Some people don't care about power/heat, and care more about price/performance... 970s had 2 power connectors (although standard) and 3 fan models, so I don't understand why no one would want to make a 480 of such type in order to engulf the enthusiast AMD crowd until Vega comes out. It would certainly be the choice of anyone utilizing water cooling.

With 25% performance increase on the Saphire already, the extra heat/power could be worth it.

How far can the 480 chip be pushed?!

Reference RX480 support - Page 2 - HWBOT forum You can try this bios... :D seriously though.. I recommend this bios AMD Radeon RX 480 Unlocked Air BIOS - Overclocking.Guide its a little safer....

Shows its pushed to 1700 on the core..... obviously not 24/7 usage...

i'm starting the video at the appropriate spot.

He hammers exactly what I've been saying. The Reference card has base/boost clocks of 1120/1266, but it hovers below 1200. In The Witcher 3 it's usually 1120-1150. The reference card has a TDP of 150W but hovers around 165W.

Sapphire's clocks on this card are 1208/1342, and it hovers OVER 1300 almost all the time. It has a 225W TDP and hovers around 210W. So while the overclock seems light (6% boost OC), the sustained clocks are about 13% higher (and more in extreme cases), which is why the card performs as well as it does. A recent review showed the Sapphire card with a 25% performance lead in RotTR over the reference card!

The recent increase in RoTR was due to the 16.7.3 drivers.

Review: Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro 4GB and 8GB OC - Graphics - HEXUS.net - Page 10

The Rx 480 Nitro OC in OC mode is 8% faster than ref Rx 480 but at a significant power increase. The GF 14LPP process is holding back Polaris and a second revision is desperately needed to fix the clock/power issues. Hopefully we will see a Rx 485 in Q1 2017. The Rx 400 series naming scheme already hints at a second revision.

Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC im Test (Seite 3)
AMD Radeon RX 400 series naming scheme explained | VideoCardz.com

So AMD Boost Clocks are "up to" numbers, and the competition Boost Clocks are minimum clocks? Someone screwed up naming these.

Nice video. Good few words about Vulkan. The discussion at the end about what ended up being RX 480 was good as well ;) .

The hardware design (options with switch) of the RX 480 nitro+ is pretty cool.

Regarding waiting for midrange vs high end. The ideal is for the entire line from midrange all the way to the top to be released at the same time.

Back