ECS P45T-A 775 pcie problems

Pylor

Limp Gawd
I have an old ECS P45T-A mobo that absolutely refuses to boot an nvidia 650Ti past the windows logo once drivers are installed (and it will instantly freeze the display when drivers are installed if you're installing them w/o any installed). I know the card is good because it works fine in the even older asus p5ne-sli mobo I have that hard locks constantly. It also worked in the mobo in my sig as well as with my asus socket 1336 mobo.

Also, the ECS P45T-A will boot perfectly fine with drivers installed for an older nvidia 430GT. The only difference I can think of between these two cards that would cause an issue is that one is pci-express 3 and one is 2. Is there a way to force a pci-express link state for nvidia cards or motherboards? ECS is garbage (I bought it locally in a pinch years ago) and there's no bios option to force pci-express 1 or anything that I can see.

Yeah, ECS is garbage. Would never use one willingly.

I think you might be out of luck. Newer PCIe support on older motherboards will usually work, but it's always a crap-shoot. I usually only recommend video card updates in the first 5 years of the system, and then stop (because you never know, and by that time BIOS updates won't be fixing anything). If you really love the rest of your system, you're going to have to go on Ebay for a better board.

At least PCIe is less finicky than AGP was :D

I had a different Intel P45 motherboard, but it too would not accept a PCIe 3.0 video card. It was on the latest BIOS as well. For whatever reason, the GTX 750 Ti seems to work in most of the older Core 2 era motherboards that I have tried it in, but even it wouldn't work with that P45 motherboard.

No newer bios available unfortunately, all I got the last time I sent in a support ticket (which I knew would come to nothing) was a bunch of broken english.

I know ECS is garbage, believe me :( I bought this a few years ago when there really wasn't anything decent left to buy new, as it had a decent chipset. The old nvidia chipset motherboard has always had hard crashing issues. I'm not really attached to the system, but I don't have cash for a new one at the moment and was hoping to find a way to jerry-rig the old stuff I had laying around. It's just an HTPC for my workout room, but I wanted to run madVR.

Thanks for all the info and the wise words everyone!

Back