Eco mode on 5900X reduces my idle at-the-wall power by 30W - how can I do the same without eco mode?

I don't really understand how eco mode reduces my at-the-wall power from 78W to 48W at idle, when at idle the processor is using far less than the limits of eco mode anyway?

I tried eco mode and found my single-core boost improved to a rock-solid 4950MHz, but understandably dropped all-core down to 3850.

Looking at Ryzen master during idle in both modes, they look identical except for the limits, and the "average core voltage". In eco mode that's just 0.22V vs 1.02V in stock mode.

So can I somehow do the same in otherwise stock mode, without affecting upper limits when I want it?

There isn't an easy "turn this option on" solution. You can tweak voltage and undervolt the cpu to use less power, at some point creating instability. 5000 series I believe allow for per core or per ccx undervolting. Of course, that would be a bit time consuming.

There isn't an easy "turn this option on" solution. You can tweak voltage and undervolt the cpu to use less power, at some point creating instability. 5000 series I believe allow for per core or per ccx undervolting. Of course, that would be a bit time consuming.
Thanks for the reply - do you know what eco mode is doing, other than just reducing PPT/TDC/EDC?

Because it seems to be doing something else to reduce idle at the wall power somehow.

The most significant thing that Eco Mode does is reduce TDP, which obviously affects the speed of your CPU (especially multi-core loads). But it will also result in more aggressive core parking. Core parking has been around for a while now but in previous years with quad-core chips the savings were minimal and people often disabled it on purpose for increased performance. With 12+ cores however (5900X, etc), it really comes into play and more aggressive core parking will absolutely make a noticeable difference at idle.

I'm using eco mode 95w as summer here are getting into the 100s. I noticed it made a pretty noticeable diff compared to stock. However I notice my CPUs are still boosting to 4800mhz? I'm wondering is there a way to manually put pbo limits and a curve opt to get best speed but still have lower temps than stock?

I'm using eco mode 95w as summer here are getting into the 100s. I noticed it made a pretty noticeable diff compared to stock. However I notice my CPUs are still boosting to 4800mhz? I'm wondering is there a way to manually put pbo limits and a curve opt to get best speed but still have lower temps than stock?

The 5900X is a 12-core CPU. Even with a reduced TDP due to Eco Mode, you're unlikely to hit that TDP with just one or a even couple cores boosting. Eco Mode shouldn't have any effect on your boost clocks until you hit the reduced TDP.

The 5900X is a 12-core CPU. Even with a reduced TDP due to Eco Mode, you're unlikely to hit that TDP with just one or a even couple cores boosting. Eco Mode shouldn't have any effect on your boost clocks until you hit the reduced TDP.
Sorry I didn't clarify this but I'm using a 5800x. I've been looking into doing the pbo and curve optimizer tweaks in order to keep same performance as stock but reduce temps. It just seemed like there is alot of testing to do for stability so instead I just set the 95w eco mode and noticed temps drop by a minimum of 5 to 10 degrees and cpu still boosts to 4800. I guess what I'm saying is by me manually changing the pbo and curve optimizer settings how much lower can I get temps and how much higher can I get performance vs just doing a simple click of the eco 95w setting??

Back