Echo dot and home music collection on a NAS

Begemot

n00b
My wife bought an Echo Dot for my kids and I was hoping to usurp it a little by accessing my media server music collection. Has anyone successfully done this. I know there's a plex app option but I thought that was a pay service. I also have a roku. Any of you enterprising, "frugal" people have some advise in this arena? Thanks in advance!
-B

The Echo can pair with any Bluetooth audio device, so if you want, you can just use your phone as a remote control. Just tell Echo to open Bluetooth connections, then once it's on the Whitelist, just say "Echo pair devicename"

You can also use voice commands to change tracks/channels, but I would end-up throwing the wife's at a wall after each session! Don't forget to unpair your phone after you are done (unless your wife like hearing your game music from the shitter)

Because it's your phone, you can use whatever is on Google Play/App Store to access your music collection. Even YouTube Music Free Uploads (what I am using)

You can play uploaded songs in the background, ad-free and offline - even if you are not currently a YouTube Music Premium subscriber.

https://support.google.com/youtubemusic/answer/9716522?hl=en

Last edited:
I hadn't thought of back ending it via a phone cast. Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Back