Ecco Dolphin DEVS on Kickstarter want donations for new game Big Blue.

Cube

[H]ard|Gawd
A new ecco game will not happen because segas suits are clueless tuckwads that are to busy getting taken for a ride by gearbox for 6 years funding there own duke nukem forever.

spencer neilson returns to make more music like the sega CD version. (And no the sega CD soundtrack was nothing like the Genesis it was way better.)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/annunziata/the-next-ecco-the-dolphin-adventure-game

If you want a game it's this game or nothing sega wont let a real Ecco game happen.

http://www.polygon.com/features/201...-tide-the-struggle-to-revive-ecco-the-dolphin

Oh and it will be on PC.

Last edited:
The concept sounds very interesting and I loved Ecco, I will keep my eye on this one. Thanks for the info OP.

Thanks for posting this, backed it.

I looooved Ecco the dolphin and the whole "underwater" setting is VERY untapped int today's gamemarket.

I hate to say it but Ecco wasn't really a very good game. Kind of an interesting idea, not very fun to play. Am I the only one here?

I hate to say it but Ecco wasn't really a very good game. Kind of an interesting idea, not very fun to play. Am I the only one here?

I found it tough to play but I like the music & underwater game concepts. Aquaria took these ideas & executed them well. I hope that the Ecco devs can pull off a very immersive game, too. :)

impressive team here, I hope they make it... the original ecco was AMAZING... and has held up pretty well over the years... I loved the challenge personally, but it's easy to see why others didn't like it so much

Good God please let this happen and me find some acid...
Dreamcast Ecco was so beautiful. PUT IT IN MY VEINS!!!!!

Agreed. It was an odd game but the thing that makes it stand out over time was that it was unlike ANY game during that time or before it.

Even though I wasn't a big fan I love to support concepts that push the envelope outside the usual third person this or first person that.

Donated.

i found the orca and then i died cause i couldnt breathe. damn you ecco

ecco was one of the few games i had on my Sega Game Gear was really fun back in the day i enjoyed it.

The magazine article was funny:

"Who wants to be a fucking fish?"

Especially since dolphins aren't fish lol.

Still though, it appeals to me EXACTLY because it's not a human. Video games have teh ability to let people see things from the perspective of different beings/creatures, outside of humans or o"humanoid" beings, and that's something that they did back in the older days in the 90's, there were quite a few games that let you play as animals or other things, these days though it's pretty much human's all around.

because main stream console noobs that sit around playing call of duty only want to play as be fucking line backer male humans and wont play female human characters either.

Game devs want to make stuff other than humans and try hard to get it in but the suits don't let them. when it gets run by them they almost always bitch about the character not being human and have it changed.

http://www.destructoid.com/mass-effect-2-player-choice-statistics-are-surprising-188362.phtml

Seriously considering backing this. Thanks OP. I really loved the Ecco Genesis games. I also played the Dreamcast game too. Spencer Nielsen working on the game is fantastic. Though, I'll admit - I liked the cartridge music better in the Tides of Time. Nielsen obviously came in and scored the new score AFTER the game was produced. So it'll be nice to see what Nielsen and Annunziata can do when they work together from the ground up.

Last edited:
cmon people long way to go to that goal, pull out your CC and max dat shit.

I wonder why gamespot hasn't posted anything about this or camelot unchained?

They had Torment and Shroud of the Avatar up asap once their kickstarters went up and even had update news stories when torment hit a million bucks in a day (and CU is at 500k+ already).

The Big blue really needs the help, it seems that outside of word of mouth it's not getting enough press/exposure.

I wonder why gamespot hasn't posted anything about this or camelot unchained?

They had Torment and Shroud of the Avatar up asap once their kickstarters went up and even had update news stories when torment hit a million bucks in a day (and CU is at 500k+ already).

The Big blue really needs the help, it seems that outside of word of mouth it's not getting enough press/exposure.

"Who the fuck would want to play as a fish?" Seriously, in college - most people, if they went by my dorm while I had Ecco on, would be like "WTF - a dolphin?!!"

Asides from the few who have played and loved the games, I doubt anyone cares. Most think it's silly (in my experience anyway).

"Who the fuck would want to play as a fish?" Seriously, in college - most people, if they went by my dorm while I had Ecco on, would be like "WTF - a dolphin?!!"

Asides from the few who have played and loved the games, I doubt anyone cares. Most think it's silly (in my experience anyway).

I loved these games and getting another amazing soundtrack from Spencer Nilsen is worth it's weight in gold right off the bat. Having Bear McCreary come in with him makes it even more interesting.

This project deserves it, folks. These were awesome games and a new version of it now really could be something amazing all the way around. Could even tax your hardware. ;)

I loved these games and getting another amazing soundtrack from Spencer Nilsen is worth it's weight in gold right off the bat. Having Bear McCreary come in with him makes it even more interesting.

This project deserves it, folks. These were awesome games and a new version of it now really could be something amazing all the way around. Could even tax your hardware. ;)

Agreed 100x. I've always wondered throughout the years how an Ecco game would translate to modern hardware. Then I thought about how well the game looked on the Dreamcast and then got to thinking what they could do with shaders.... Drool... That, and I thought the games were a good noggin scratcher. I like them that way. :)

Agreed 100x. I've always wondered throughout the years how an Ecco game would translate to modern hardware. Then I thought about how well the game looked on the Dreamcast and then got to thinking what they could do with shaders.... Drool... That, and I thought the games were a good noggin scratcher. I like them that way. :)

Imagining a new version cranking away on my PC makes me giddy. :)

The only part I really liked about the game was the whales. Having whales as the ancient seers of the oceans was really interesting.

I just don't understand why they don't sell him the license. Hell, I'd even back that if it was on Kickstarter. Sega apparently ain't gonna do anything with Ecco any time soon. You might as well give the license to someone who will...

Ecco the dolphin was one of the freakiest games I played on the Genisis. The giant chromosome, Atlantis ruins, freaky aliens, that game was easily the most badass dolphin game ever.

I just don't understand why they don't sell him the license. Hell, I'd even back that if it was on Kickstarter. Sega apparently ain't gonna do anything with Ecco any time soon. You might as well give the license to someone who will...

Its like a patent, you just hold on to it because its the only value your shitty company has. Eventually when you get hard up for cash for some other project or your very survival is on the line that's when you sell the IP.

But there is a flip side too, maybe they are willing to sell the IP but the problem is that no one will give them what they are asking, and certainly not someone needing to do a kickstarter.

Personally I played Ecco but I can hardly remember it, guess it wasn't that memorable or good. I think a lot of games we remember weren't really that good we just had nothing to compare them too. This game would be better served as a tech demo for some company trying to pitch an open world engine.

The problem with Ecco the GAME was that it started REALLY slow. For most it was boring and difficult. Once you get about halfway, the game starts heating up, you talk to a giant chromosome who sends you back on time to kill himself, you get picked up by pterodactyl dinosaurs, you go foreword in time and you discover the lost city of Atlantis, you fight some sharks, board a giant, H. R. Gieger esque alien space slaughterhouse and decapitate a giant alien queen insect thing...
ecco-the-dolphin-pic3.jpg

Yeah, that game was pretty screwed up...

Holy shit that thing's scary. Sadly, I never played much of the first one. The Tides of Time, however, I have played and beaten. It took a bit to get into as well, but about the fifth level in (where Ecco goes into the future), it picks up pace and just doesn't relent. Amazing game.

The genesis music was kind of weak

its 20 times more scary on sega CD with big ass speakers because of the spencer nelison soundtrack. it also had extra content on sega Had early CGI videos that told the story better so the game made slighty more sense. I think it was one of the first with CGI cutscenes on consoles before the saturn and ps1 made them all the rage.

you fight it to music that sounds like this though it is a boss version this is the machine version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIkzOSEykaE

Last edited:
Ecco is also in some CGI music videos done by the same studio as the sega CD CGI. but the music video came out in 1996 so it looks much better because of software and hardware improvements. it was a test animation and leftovers for sega. He wears the a version of the harness from the dreamcast game in it. probabley for a saturn or the 32x CD game that never came out

The music video is almost as trippy as the game. if yo want to watch it you can watch a really bad copy from a VHS tape i think here. If you like this stuff you can get it on DVD or laserdisc the way it should be seen.

http://youtu.be/M2KrZSEXbgE?t=3m17s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHQAJyPinyY

f3tx1.jpg

Last edited:
If you want to watch the sega CD FMV CGI you can here the PC version is just a port of the sega CD like sonic CD on the PC was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sgJHkXxIac

this has the 3d CGI giant chromosome AKA Asterite Atlantis ruins, in it.

Last edited:
huh, I had no idea they were going to release Star Control 2 for 32x...I had a 3do with that game, loved it so much. Now that is a kickstarter I would support the shit out of, a true Star Control 2 successor.

Hell yea!

Ecco the dolphin and sewer shark were the first sega cd games I had.

Back