EC Ruling: Statement by Intel President and CEO Paul Otellini

HardOCP News

[H] News
Paul Otellini, Intel Corporation president and CEO today issued the following statement regarding the European Commission decision on Intel's business practices: "Intel takes strong exception to this decision. We believe the decision is wrong and ignores the reality of a highly competitive microprocessor marketplace – characterized by constant innovation, improved product performance and lower prices. There has been absolutely zero harm to consumers. Intel will appeal."

Zero harm to consumers? True, as long as they're ready to pay Intel prices because the competition has gotten financially screwed over by their illegal practices so they can't beat them technology-wise and can't perform!

Its their right to appeal and good luck with them
They will be punished, the exact figure intel pays it yet to be determined

And in the end, the consumer will end up paying more when the CPU prices for Intel chips go up. AMD will follow the price hikes.

Where does the punishment money go? To the harmed consumers? To the harmed AMD? To the EU court system?

What I don't understand is, if the tactics are illegal, why don't they get reported by the stores that get asked to participate? Should they not also get fined? So if person A ask person B to do something illegal, should they not both go to jail? Which companies are complicit in this illegal EU practice, and what is their punishment?

Of course there was zero harm to consumers. Intel was still in the process of trying to destroy AMD which requires low or negative margins.

The jacking up of margins comes AFTER they're done illegally destroying their competition.

I love how the crooks go out and buy advertisments to try to undo the damage after they get caught.

Its their right to appeal and good luck with them
They will be punished, the exact figure intel pays it yet to be determined

$1.44 billion is the punitive fine, but they are now encouraging compensatory damages too which could double this number.

And in the end, the consumer will end up paying more when the CPU prices for Intel chips go up. AMD will follow the price hikes.

Where does the punishment money go? To the harmed consumers? To the harmed AMD? To the EU court system?

You are correct.

The money goes to the EU budget, so the tax payers of the EU will receive lower taxes. So everyone including people who never had a computer and never will will receive this break. So really, the victims (AMD) does not get it, the consumer who was buying a processor or computer does not really benefit from it, everyone in general and their dog benefits from it... the biggest beneficiary is the EU as they get to balance their budget for the next year.

The jacking up of margins comes AFTER they're done illegally destroying their competition.

This is simply not true and is historically hard to prove. In fact, this is impossible. Intel needs AMD, without AMD Intel will be split into pieces. Perhaps this is what Intel wants, I don't know.

But to simply say that Intel wants to be the lone wolf is not accurate as it's not possible under the current monopoly laws.

Please take out emotion out of your posts and look at it from a historical perspective. Similar to MS and Apple, they need each other. They may be aggressive and nearly kill each other but on the end they need to stick around. Intel simply got too aggressive.

Lower prices? What drugs is he on? The price of an Intel Extreme CPU is higher than a low end computer with monitor , keyboard and mouse. So he is saying lower prices? He needs to check himself there. Most Intel CPU's are much more expensive than a good AMD CPU.I could almost bet they are making a $900 profit on each Extreme CPU. Also AMD is catching up with their BE CPU's at a quarter the price. Guess which type I will be buying next?

Lower prices? What drugs is he on? The price of an Intel Extreme CPU is higher than a low end computer with monitor , keyboard and mouse. So he is saying lower prices? He needs to check himself there. Most Intel CPU's are much more expensive than a good AMD CPU.I could almost bet they are making a $900 profit on each Extreme CPU. Also AMD is catching up with their BE CPU's at a quarter the price. Guess which type I will be buying next?

Uh, niche processors cannot (or should not) be compared. If you want to compare Intel and AMD, go with Core2Duo/Quad/i7 versus the Phenom/Phenom II x3/x4.

the BE and Extreme are a completely different market.

Perhaps I should also add that the i7 has no competition at the moment. Not Intel's fault AMD can't keep up. With Ruiz out, I hope AMD can pick up the ball again. The EU and US government needs to get their nose out of this so the AMD can work for the crown instead of laying back thinking they're protected by the government.

Uh, niche processors cannot (or should not) be compared. If you want to compare Intel and AMD, go with Core2Duo/Quad/i7 versus the Phenom/Phenom II x3/x4.

the BE and Extreme are a completely different market.

Perhaps I should also add that the i7 has no competition at the moment. Not Intel's fault AMD can't keep up. With Ruiz out, I hope AMD can pick up the ball again. The EU and US government needs to get their nose out of this so the AMD can work for the crown instead of laying back thinking they're protected by the government.

By the looks of your post I highly doubt your an Intel fanboy (NOT). Actually AMD is starting to catch up with Intel. Just because your blind to that fact is'nt our fault. Before you go calling me an AMD fanboy check my sig and you will see I have an Intell Q6600 in my rig.

As for your argument that the BE isnt a Niche CPU well its the exact ame type of CPU as the extreme CPU's. Both have their multipliers unlocked but Intel still think that the price of a second hand car or twice the price of a cheap full computer is the right price for it? Also AMD has Phenom II BE chips out there also so your argument there isnt going to anywhere with me.

I hope the EU keep this up until Intel check their prices for their overpriced CPU's. Im not saying all Intel CPU's are overpriced but some are a stupid price. Only a minority of people can affod some of the Intel CPU's. I would have to save for 8 months just to be able to afford an extreme CPU.

By the looks of your post I highly doubt your an Intel fanboy (NOT). Actually AMD is starting to catch up with Intel. Just because your blind to that fact is'nt our fault. Before you go calling me an AMD fanboy check my sig and you will see I have an Intell Q6600 in my rig.

As for your argument that the BE isnt a Niche CPU well its the exact ame type of CPU as the extreme CPU's. Both have their multipliers unlocked but Intel still think that the price of a second hand car or twice the price of a cheap full computer is the right price for it? Also AMD has Phenom II BE chips out there also so your argument there isnt going to anywhere with me.

I hope the EU keep this up until Intel check their prices for their overpriced CPU's. Im not saying all Intel CPU's are overpriced but some are a stupid price. Only a minority of people can affod some of the Intel CPU's. I would have to save for 8 months just to be able to afford an extreme CPU.

What does fanboyism have anything to do with what I said? All I said is if you're going to compare processor prices, don't compare the extreme gaming superduper bestest editions of processors. Compare the general consumer processors.

And you mean judging from my signature, not post.

lol

I can't even respond to this post because I'm unable to sit on my chair laughing my ass off.

Looks like you were well and truly able to reply.
Intel's Extreme Edition CPUs are for a niche of a niche market and for those that want the absolute best performance at stock settings (and possibly more room for overclocking). Intel offers other i7 models at far more "reasonable" prices that still outperform the AMD BE models. Those are the ones you should compare the BE to.

You are correct.

The money goes to the EU budget, so the tax payers of the EU will receive lower taxes. So everyone including people who never had a computer and never will will receive this break. So really, the victims (AMD) does not get it, the consumer who was buying a processor or computer does not really benefit from it, everyone in general and their dog benefits from it... the biggest beneficiary is the EU as they get to balance their budget for the next year.

This is simply not true and is historically hard to prove. In fact, this is impossible. Intel needs AMD, without AMD Intel will be split into pieces. Perhaps this is what Intel wants, I don't know.

But to simply say that Intel wants to be the lone wolf is not accurate as it's not possible under the current monopoly laws.

Please take out emotion out of your posts and look at it from a historical perspective. Similar to MS and Apple, they need each other. They may be aggressive and nearly kill each other but on the end they need to stick around. Intel simply got too aggressive.

Hahahaha, what a load of shit. You think the EU is going to lower taxes or use this to help offset anything? No they're just going to squander it on another useless project or program or line the pockets of some officials.
I wish Intel would have the balls to just suspend sales to the EU for a bit and see how their tune changes over there.

i think that having too much market isnt really a bad thing. they up prices, and they still sell out. its win/win for amd. lose for intel and europe.

i think that having too much market isnt really a bad thing. they up prices, and they still sell out. its win/win for amd. lose for intel and europe.

Well, influencing OEMs to solely sell your product when your product is inferior is clearly illegal. And it isn't exaggerated to say that AMD lost ground or could not expand their market share because the big monopoly was playing dirty. Imagine the revenue AMD lost for not gaining ground against Intel. Imagine all the extra money AMD could have invested in R&D. Look at AMDs lineup today. AMDs products aren't that bad in comparison to Intel, so could you imagine if AMD had gained a bigger market presence back then?
I am not saying Intel would have lost the crown, but they would have a tougher time competing with AMD.
I am not saying AMD would have overtaken Intel, but instead of Intel leading with 40% over AMD, Intel would only have a 10-15% advantage. And that is a huge difference.

Back