[ebook] The Way of Kings - Free

I have the big honkin (tm) paper book on my shelf. Good read, but he is channeling his inner Robert Jordan by writing a series that seems will go on forever, and taking about as much time in delivering the next one. With that said, I think I'll get this so that when book three FINALLY comes out, and I have to re-read the first two, it won't be quite as tiring to hold onto. Thanks op.

I have the big honkin (tm) paper book on my shelf. Good read, but he is channeling his inner Robert Jordan by writing a series that seems will go on forever, and taking about as much time in delivering the next one. With that said, I think I'll get this so that when book three FINALLY comes out, and I have to re-read the first two, it won't be quite as tiring to hold onto. Thanks op.

Yeah, this. The big difference is Sanderson is fairly healthy, and has already given us a loose ETA for book 3. Which is more than Rothfuss and R. R. Martin have done.

I think you are missing the fact of how many other books he's publishing at the same time...

Reactions: RosaJ
like this
Very true, loved his mistborn series and am currently reading this book with the plan of also re-reading in the future. Thanks OP for the find!

I think you are missing the fact of how many other books he's publishing at the same time...

Yes, he is. Robert Jordan was also publishing other books at the same time as the WoT series. I started WoT in 1996, and after catching up, I had to re-read every book in the ~2 years between WoT publishing, all the way up until Sanderson finished it. I'm not complaining TOO much about it, just that this seems to be following the same track. I liked the original Mistborn series, but haven't kept up with the latter ones. Maybe I'll give them a go after I finish all of the female written books I got off the latest Humble Bundle (and the 2-3 others I have on my Kindle backlog).

Yeah, this. The big difference is Sanderson is fairly healthy, and has already given us a loose ETA for book 3. Which is more than Rothfuss and R. R. Martin have done.

Never heard of Rothfuss. What series is he writing? Might have to check it out. I read voraciously (in spurts now, not quite the 5-8 books a week I did back in my teens thru thirties), so I'm usually on the lookout for good series. R. R. Martin, I could care less about. I remember picking up his GoT books long before HBO's Game of Boning... err... Thrones, and the premise did (and still does) absolutely nothing for me. Haven't seen the show, either. Again, not interested in the premise, and if I want to watch pr0n, I'll actually watch pr0n.

Never heard of Rothfuss. What series is he writing? Might have to check it out. I read voraciously (in spurts now, not quite the 5-8 books a week I did back in my teens thru thirties), so I'm usually on the lookout for good series. R. R. Martin, I could care less about. I remember picking up his GoT books long before HBO's Game of Boning... err... Thrones, and the premise did (and still does) absolutely nothing for me. Haven't seen the show, either. Again, not interested in the premise, and if I want to watch pr0n, I'll actually watch pr0n.

Rothfuss is writing the 'King killer chronicle.' We're all waiting on the third book which was originally due out already.

Game of thrones isn't R.R Martin's best work imo. Read the wild cards books. They're pretty entertaining.

Ferdjones - Patrick Rothfuss writes The Kingkiller Chronicles. There are currently only two books out as of now - The Name of the Wind, and The Wise Man's Fear, with an unknown street date on Doors of Stone. If long-time-coming book publications is a frustrating point for you, you might want to wait on this.

I think for your comparison, you're being fair. Sanderson is on track for 1 books in the Stormlight Archive every 3.5 years. It could be possible that over the stretch of the series that he buckles down a knocks out a few books in a shorter timespan. However, the series is supposed to be ten books, broken into two, five-book segments. Even if they came out every two years, that's still 20 years to completion.

With that said, I'm not the biggest fan of Sanderson, so I don't want you to think I'm a fanboy coming to his defense. However, I don't think many other authors have this kind of writing speed under their belt to constantly be working through multiple, highly-acclaimed series simultaneously. Whether or not I like is style of writing won't stop me from acknowledging how impressive this is. I mean he published Crossroads of Twilight, The Gathering of Storms, and A Memory of Light, The Alloy of Law, Alcatraz Versus the Knights of Crystallia, The Way of Kings, Words of Radiance, Steelheart, Awakening, Redemption, Legion, Warbreaker, and Rithmatist all between 2009-2013. He's satisfying a lot of different fans in short timespans. This doesn't include the other short stories he was publishing at the time as well.

http://www.bookseriesinorder.com/brandon-sanderson/

If someone could find a way of combining the best traits of Rothfuss and Sanderson you'd have the greatest fantasy author who ever lived.

Sanderson = Great storyteller, mediocre writer, The Stephen King of fantasy novels (writing machine)
Rothfuss = Mediocre storyteller, great writer, rivals George RR Martin in terms of writing speed

I do like the Stormlight Archives, my only complaint is that the world never seems to open up the way that Jordan/Martin/Tolkien/Rothfuss's worlds do.

I find Sanderson's writing to be claustrophobic.

upload_2017-3-24_11-38-55.png

At any rate, book 3 should be out pretty soon. I'll wager TOR is probably doing this to drum up interest in the book.

Yes, he is. Robert Jordan was also publishing other books at the same time as the WoT series. I started WoT in 1996, and after catching up, I had to re-read every book in the ~2 years between WoT publishing, all the way up until Sanderson finished it. I'm not complaining TOO much about it, just that this seems to be following the same track. I liked the original Mistborn series, but haven't kept up with the latter ones. Maybe I'll give them a go after I finish all of the female written books I got off the latest Humble Bundle (and the 2-3 others I have on my Kindle backlog).

That's the same year I started reading Jordan.

Robert Jordan lost his way after book 4 or 5. Way too much detail went into describing mundane things like teeth brushing and blouse buttoning. I ended up skipping entire chapters.

If you haven't read Martin you are definitely missing out though.

Last edited:
I find the problem with Sanderson's writing is that he hits you over the head with everything. There's not much left to the imagination. Characters wear their emotions on their sleeve, motivations are spelled out in crayon, etc. The dialogue can also be frustrating, too, because it reads so clunky, and not how people really talk. The banter is cringy, and the comic relief is forced.

If you like witty dialogue, check out Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid series. It's a bit like the Dresden files by Jim Butcher (his worst series imo) but a more fun read. Also there's Larry Correia's Monster Hunter and Hard Magic series.

Here's a link to Larry Correia's first book for free (Baen free library)

http://www.baen.com/monster-hunter-international.html

Back