eBay to Pay Damages to Duped Gold Buyer

HardOCP News

[H] News
eBay has been ordered to pay $22,000 in damages to a guy that bought gold on eBay but never received it. According to the article, eBay was found negligent because they ignored previous complaints about the seller.

eBay advertised the company as a "power seller", a particularly trustworthy vendor according to the auction site's own criteria, despite complaints, notably regarding its times of delivery. Ordering eBay to pay 16,463 euros (22,000 dollars), the court said the auction site had been aware of ML Agentur's record before the gold bar transaction was made and was therefore guilty of negligence.

good

having said that just bought some stuff off ebay and very happy with seller

Good. If ebay corp. want's 5% of my auction earnings - it should be doing everything in it's power to prevent known fraud.

I used to be a supporter of caveat emptor until eBay started robbing us with their ever increasing fees. I appreciate eBay giving us a portal to do auction, but if they're going to keep adding on charges, then they should be involved and responsible for the auction processes.

It's doubly bogus how they kept ignoring complaints about particular sellers. Their attitude is "who cares. We're still getting 5% whether the seller is fake or not."

The flood gates will now burst open and everyone that is unhappy with Ebay will now go straight to the courts.

The flood gates will now burst open and everyone that is unhappy with Ebay will now go straight to the courts.

Not necessarily. The complaint was eBay ignored the existence of known scammers and allowed them to use their service. It's more about fraud (which is already illegal) than a simple case of not liking eBay's service.

About time... I hate eBay. They protect the buyers and not the sellers. You can find some great things, but when eBay rapes the seller and craddles the buyer, they can go fuck themselves.

I got caught up in a scam like this. Here's how it went down, for your entertainment:

Buying a motherboard from a guy who has high ratings, all the feedback is near perfect. Seems ok.

I get a USPS mailing label notification, that a mailing label was purchased. It says with an asterisk though that it doesn't indicate that it was mailed. No big deal, I'm thinking he's got the label printed out now he just has to mail it.

So I wait a few weeks for it to come in, well past the time required. I check the notification it still just says "a label was printed".

I complain to ebay. Ebay says the guy's account was highjacked so tell me to contact my credit card people to dispute the charge, so I do that.

I get a credit on my card, then a few weeks later, I get re-charged and a letter is sent to me saying the seller is disputing that I didn't receive it. His docs show the same mailing label notification as "proof". Ebay cleared this guys info out, cleared out all his auction info so he has a clean slate now, and now he's trying to re-charge me outside of e-bay.

I have to re-send a new dispute showing the mailing notification doesn't show that it was ever shipped. I luckily had a USPS package sent to me for comparison, that shows that it says when it is mailed, his obviously did not. I finally after months of this, get it credited again. However, this guy is likely still doing business on e-bay, possibly pulling the same scam.

Sure could buy a lot of wow gold with that money. I guesstimate about 7 million.

I have to agree with one of the comments at the article site, "Who buys $22,000 dollars of gold sight unseen?"

I have to agree with one of the comments at the article site, "Who buys $22,000 dollars of gold sight unseen?"

A lot of people were buying a LOT of gold on e-bay back when Bing 20-30% cashback was out.

I hate eBay, they do such a horrible job of catching scam artists and the like.

Hell yes. Ebay has gone from being one of the best companies to one of the worst. They basically just doubled final value fees (now 9% of the WHOLE price) and actually had the audacity to send out an email saying that it was a fee cut. Save a nickel on the listing fee and pay them an extra $25 on a $500 item and somehow they're doing you a favor according to them.

They were a great place to both buy and sell back when they stuck by their legalese that they were only a venue. Now that they're trying to step in and regulate the private contracts buyers and sellers make, by doing things like mandating that payment is made through paypal (which they also now own and collect fees on), they're clearly not just a venue anymore. If ebay is going to play an active role interfering in transactions, it has to take the good with the bad.

I buy ALL my gold from random people on the interwebs. I never thought I could get ripped off. Just today I was contacted by a Nigerian Prince in exile, I am going to buy lots of gold on eBay with all the money I make helping him.

Back