Ebay Takes on Amazon with Guaranteed 3-Day Delivery

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
I was going to ask how eBay expects to pull this off when their business revolves around independent sellers, most of whom are (in my experience) lazy as hell, but the company claims they have been doing well on this for some time and is merely guaranteeing a timeframe going forward. Something tells me most people are going to stick with Amazon, unless it’s some dusty relic they are seeking.

“While the majority of items on eBay already ship within 3 days or less, as well as for free, Guaranteed Delivery will give shoppers even faster delivery options and the confidence that their items will arrive on time,” said Hal Lawton, Senior Vice President of North America at eBay, in a statement about the new program. It’s hard not to see Amazon’s influence at work here — especially as eBay notes that consumers will also be able to search its site and filter for items by 1- and 2-day deliveries, too.

The last book I ordered from Amazon had Prime 2-day shipping.

Only thing is it took them 3 days to start shipping it!

Proving once again the eBay CEO has no clue what their business grew to prosperity on. If they wanted a retail job of new consumer goods they should have got a job in retail, not retrofit the once great eBay into a turd.

eBay deleted my account for no obvious reason so I'll definitely stick with Amazon

Funny thing though. Amazon's pricing is not very good on a lot of items. I've started to shop Walmart online since they now have free shipping with no membership fee. Finding lower prices pretty much across the board. Even though I hate Walmart, I am progressively disliking Amazon more because they are killing stores as badly as Walmart did.

eBay has a much, much, much, much, much better organized site.

Searches actually come up with what you are looking for. Categories don't have 99.9% mis-categorized things like Amazon does. I absolutely hate trying to find stuff on Amazon unless I know the exact part number.

Amazon's site is such a huge mess and always has been. They don't actually enforce any type of listing rules that I can tell.

When I do a search in a specific category, the results should not return a billion items that are completely different than what I am looking for.

When I do find something on eBay I will also check on Amazon. Sometimes the same item from the same seller will be cheaper on Amazon.

And then there are those people who sell on eBay that drop ship from Amazon. I've had that happen quite a few times. Not sure how they actually make money off of stuff like that, especially after eBay fees. I guess every little bit helps.

downside is stuff I routinely buy from ebay comes from China. Which normally takes anywhere from a week (best case) to 2 months (worst case) to not at all (in which case I light some fires under them).

3-day shipping won't happen for 90% of the stuff I end up buying thru ebay.

Funny thing though. Amazon's pricing is not very good on a lot of items. I've started to shop Walmart online since they now have free shipping with no membership fee. Finding lower prices pretty much across the board. Even though I hate Walmart, I am progressively disliking Amazon more because they are killing stores as badly as Walmart did.
Walmart is the 800-lb gorilla in the room. Amazon gets business because everyone knows the brand. Forthcoming aggressive advertising of Walmart and Jet will change that.

Like a lot of thrifty people I shop around. However, Amazon keeps getting the first look because of shipping. I hade a coil pack for my Mpv delivered free same day. AND for 1/2 the price of the same part if I drove to get it myself! Sure a one off but 1-3 days n a ton of stuff is hard to beat. I welcome other competition obviously for choices /prices yaddayadda.

Amazon is complete horse shit!! Their private sellers with price gouging with new products. Their own prices suck. And now they charge sales tax. If I want to pay sales tax I'll just go to Microcenter and walk out with my item now, and not have to pay/wait for shipping.

Newegg is still great, their prices are good. They always have sales going on. Free shipping and no taxes. I singed up for Shoprunner thing, and I get free 2 day shipping at Newegg.

Amazon is complete horse shit!! Their private sellers with price gouging with new products. Their own prices suck. And now they charge sales tax. If I want to pay sales tax I'll just go to Microcenter and walk out with my item now, and not have to pay/wait for shipping.

Newegg is still great, their prices are good. They always have sales going on. Free shipping and no taxes. I singed up for Shoprunner thing, and I get free 2 day shipping at Newegg.

Also, it takes Amazon two weeks to pay private sellers, while eBay pays immediately.
Between the Just Launched assholes and crappy trade-in values (item msrp is $1800, trade in $325) Amazon can roll in red ants for anything that resembles an eBay sales model.

I've started to buy certain things from B&H, but Amazon's warehouse deals are still amazing at times.

Just bought a set of tires $40 cheaper than Amazon/Walmart/local tire shops

That's with free shipping, no extra eviromental fees, no tax and a $15 off 75 coupon.

Arrived in 4 days :)

For Amazon, I only buy items that are fullfilled by Amazon. For ebay, I don't care who I buy from, so long as the seller doesn't have shit feedback. Amazon takes longer to just ship the item and Ebay, good sellers will usually ship next day, if not that day.

Back