eBay restocking fee for a defective return

the_servicer

2[H]4U
I bought an HP ZBook on eBay. Worked fine for a couple of hours after I powered it up and immediately disabled tap-to-click. Later in the day it became impossible to use either of the left click buttons. The computer is impossible to use except the keyboard and right clicking. There appears to be a restocking fee for returning it, which could be over $100. Should I expect to actually pay a restocking fee for returning a computer with a defective input system?

Most places don't charge a restocking fee on defective items, It's usually for buyer's remorse.

I bought an HP ZBook on eBay....

Every seller is different. If the item was sold AS-IS with no returns, you may catch hell with returning it.

However, if the seller described the item as working, and didn't disclose the issue you are having, then you can file a claim with ebay/paypal and get your full purchase price back.

Every seller is different. If the item was sold AS-IS with no returns, you may catch hell with returning it.

However, if the seller described the item as working, and didn't disclose the issue you are having, then you can file a claim with ebay/paypal and get your full purchase price back.

Well, this... but I don't think he'd have asked if it was spelled out on the auction page, maybe I'm wrong though as they must put in SOMETHING :)

See what seller does/wants and report back.

Well surely don't tell the seller that it worked for several hours before having problems.

I would just say it never worked properly. They might think you broke it or something.

I was fully honest when reporting what went wrong. Ended up not paying a dime: no shipping, no return shipping, and no restocking fee.

Back