eBay Renames Yellow Star After “Nazi” Complaint

HardOCP News

[H] News
It would seem that eBay has decided to rename its yellow star award, at least temporarily, to avoid offending survivors of the German occupancy during World War II.

His wife Francoise Bellamy told AFP Thursday that her husband "refused to be be given a yellow star, even a virtual one. "It brought back bad memories of the occupation" of France by Germany during World War II, she said.

And I don't want a red star either because I'm 1/90th native american, the racist bastards.

Somone is obviously an over sensitive pain in the ass and needs to make some noise and craves attention. :rolleyes:

UMMM, aren't the stars used on eBay 5 point stars? The Jewish star has 6 points.

At least the first award isn't a yellow swastika.

Maybe they could change it to a yellow pentagram.

And I don't want a red star either because I'm 1/90th native american, the racist bastards.

Are you a survivor of the indian wars? Congrat's on such a long fruitful life. :rolleyes:

It's not like the guy threatened to sue them or something. I know it seems silly, but I don't see anything bad about ebay voluntarily showing sensitivity toward the issue.

I thought the stars that the German's made people wear were, "Stars of David"....a six pointed start. If you're going to make an argument shouldn't it be based on the correct star?:confused:

jude2.gif

I think someone is trying for their 15 minutes of fame....what a lamer. :rolleyes:

on topic, someone needs to remind the guy that these aren't Stars of David :-P

He needs to take a chill pill and talk to a shrink. Holding a grudge for almost 60 years is bad for you.

He needs to take a chill pill and talk to a shrink. Holding a grudge for almost 60 years is bad for you.

Now that is is an ignorant comment, it's okay to say he was overreacting about the yellow star but saying to not be angry about the holocaust is just retarded.

We had the same problem the local Rabbi and Church also thought a yellow star was OK as long as there was no religious connection or discrimination. How long have they had this program?

Now that is is an ignorant comment, it's okay to say he was overreacting about the yellow star but saying to not be angry about the holocaust is just retarded.

Generally, yes. But it's a fucking award star. They've been passing out gold stars in elementary school for decades, eons even.

He's holding some very serious resentment and needs to seek help.

Either that, or like everyone above me says: he's just wanting his 15 minutes of fame.

I think you misread my post, I said it was ok to say he was overreacting. I said it was retarded to say that he shouldn't hold a grudge over the holocaust.

Generally, yes. But it's a fucking award star. They've been passing out gold stars in elementary school for decades, eons even.

He's holding some very serious resentment and needs to seek help.

Either that, or like everyone above me says: he's just wanting his 15 minutes of fame.

More like 15 minutes of lame. We get so caught up in political correctness, it's a wonder that we can function as a society anymore.

It's not like the guy threatened to sue them or something. I know it seems silly, but I don't see anything bad about ebay voluntarily showing sensitivity toward the issue.

What's the end game of everyone being "sensitive" to everyone about everything? I shudder to think...

What's the end game of everyone being "sensitive" to everyone about everything? I shudder to think...

The endgame is no one ever being able to move on. There is a time and place for sensitivity, but there is a point where it reaches absurdity and all it does is reopen old wounds, and rub things in peoples faces.

Fear of offending someone causes a lot of tension. If people have to constantly watch what they say and do for unintentional things that may be views as racism, they end up saying and doing nothing, out of fear.

If you've ever seen the fairly-low-budget-but-actually-a-damned-cool-movie "Equilibrium," you'll have some idea: bored, monotonous drone-like humans... *shudder*²

i dont think this has anything to do with "oversensitivity" or being politically correct. i think this has to do with surviving the fucking holocaust. some people are crippled by getting dumped by some bitch, or losing your job. have any of you survived the holocaust? o rly? then shut up :p

Maybe they could change it to a yellow pentagram.

LMFAO

i dont think this has anything to do with "oversensitivity" or being politically correct. i think this has to do with surviving the fucking holocaust. some people are crippled by getting dumped by some bitch, or losing your job. have any of you survived the holocaust? o rly? then shut up

Doesn't matter. People survive horrific events like 9/11 and other wars and humans doing unspeakable things to other humans. I'm sorry for you buddy, but your past is not my own. And a yellow star is a yellow star. Sorry it throws you in to a fit.

That's not what I said nor was it my point. My point was that it was ebay's choice, not yours mine or anyone elses. It was not the result of a stupid court desicion from a stupid court case. Some old fart complained about it, and ebay chose to acknowledge him.

If Ebay chooses to be sensitive to the complaint of a holocaust survivors, however silly a complaint it may be, that is their choice and there's nothing wrong with that. Nobody forced them into it.

The endgame is no one ever being able to move on. There is a time and place for sensitivity, but there is a point where it reaches absurdity and all it does is reopen old wounds, and rub things in peoples faces.

Fear of offending someone causes a lot of tension. If people have to constantly watch what they say and do for unintentional things that may be views as racism, they end up saying and doing nothing, out of fear.

This type of mentality is what has gotten our society to the weak point were are at now.
The Past is the past and that where it needs to stay at. You can also make the argument that social security numbers are the same thing as the serial numbers that the Jew's got tattooed in the concentration camps.

Doesn't matter. People survive horrific events like 9/11 and other wars and humans doing unspeakable things to other humans.

thats true, and all im saying is that we owe it to those people to respect them for it, regardless of context.

Sorry it throws you in to a fit.

it doesnt, but that doesnt make it less important. or were you talking about the complaint-filing ebay member? it seems like those folks werent exactly up in arms about it either, just unsettled about the whole thing. i agree it seems silly, especially because it isnt even a star of david.. but its not really my place to say what can make others uncomfortable. shrug..

Some of you guys act like he took them to court and won a $50 billion lawsuit. sigh.
I'm sure every holocaust survivor thinks about stuff like that if it catches them at the right time. Put yourself in their shoes as if it really happened to yourself and see what you would think...

At a company I worked for ~10 yrs ago, in general conversation I mentioned to a group of co-workers about my "colored" (black) friend about the good times we had growing up. I got pulled into a conference room and almost got fired. When they found out I really didn't know the meaning of it from how it was used back in the 50s and 60s they let me off with a warning. I had no idea what "colored" meant when referring to black people, and the only black woman on the team had filed a complaint against me. I totally didn't mean it that way, but I would call her a racist for thinking I was a racist. Sheesh. So the point, people can be offended about anything. People can interpret a normal sentence into something sexual and turn you into HR when you had actually meant something else. I call them perverts. :p

Wonder if he would get upset when he drives by a Temple with a yellow star on the side and complains to them that it hurts his feelings! Guess its ok for them, but not for others,....oh wait that would be racism, saying one group can do it but another can't!

i dont care what symbol you pick, someone somehwere is going to get upset. I reamamber a while back that Muslims were upset at a Washington DC monumant that was proposed that was in the shap of a cube, they argued that it looked to close to Mecca which houses a builded in the shape of a cube. Its a cube damn it, know one owns the rights to it, just like no ones owns the rights to the rainbow or yellow stars,you dont see Lucky charms complaining do you! (hope they dont read this, might give them an idea!) [one wonders if he has ever ate Lucky Charms?]

Its a cube damn it

Omw to file patent. :eek:

Had a similar issue w/ a new federal courthouse building where i live. People in the area were all "it conflicts w/ the historical asthetic of our neighborhood!! Rawr noes!" (large post-modern bldg. downtown). The neighborhood in question is several blocks away and it's not 'historical', it's just the very old shitty part of town lol.

The response was pretty much, "we're sorry to hear your displeased, but too bad". lulz.

I must say that staying angry at something for 60 years is just retarded. Disgusted? absolutely, appalled? Of course, but angry?

Anger's a dangerous emotion, and it'll follow you to your death bed if you don't deal with it proactively.

First I want to say, I suffer from PTSD and major depression. I have had alot of therapy related to the PTSD. One thing we are tought is that there will be "triggers" to our PTSD, it is something you have to learn to deal with on our own, that theres no way to remove all such triggers especially sense we dont always know what will triggers us before hand. you cant go around and ask that all "yellow stars" be removed from society, it can't be done, this person needs to learn to live with his past, come to accept it and move on.
My previous post was a rash reaction without really have any forthought before posting it, but, in a sense it is true but I could have said it in a better way.

I fully believe that he had flashbacks and memories when he saw the yellow star on e-bay, but you cant go around and ask others to change because we are uncomfortable with something, if something like that really bothers us, dont go there any more, but in time learn to accept it!

Haha, that picture of the cat with the hat was awesome.

Seriously though, this is a bit much. The man is overdramatizing this harmless star which recognizes his account status. I'd hate to see someone show him all the other places that yellow stars are used. I got them on my homework when I was 5 years old for doing a good job. That insensitive bitch of a teacher!

At a company I worked for ~10 yrs ago, in general conversation I mentioned to a group of co-workers about my "colored" (black) friend about the good times we had growing up. I got pulled into a conference room and almost got fired. When they found out I really didn't know the meaning of it from how it was used back in the 50s and 60s they let me off with a warning. I had no idea what "colored" meant when referring to black people, and the only black woman on the team had filed a complaint against me. I totally didn't mean it that way, but I would call her a racist for thinking I was a racist. Sheesh. So the point, people can be offended about anything. People can interpret a normal sentence into something sexual and turn you into HR when you had actually meant something else. I call them perverts. :p

The people you work with are all brainwashed politically correct idiots. Haven't they ever heard of the NAACP?

So it's a star, and it's yellow. It;s not the same star, but it's a bit similar. Does he object to the Beatles song "Hey Jude" because it says that on the star as well? It's not the same word, but it's a bit similar...

how about we give them a pink triangle and tell them to quit being gay.

have any of you survived the *insert tragic event*? o rly? then shut up

Tell this to the people who do these African American history month and TV commercials. The fact is My mom is Jewish...she doesn't run around acting like everyone owes her something and looking for attention. I have friends who are native american....they don't go around looking for attention. People go through shit....true. But the second we stop making a big deal of it, the sooner its forgotten.

Back