eBay - Refurbished Hitachi Ultrastar 2 TB $30 - Free 2 Day USPS Priority

I got mine at the $29.99 price but it was standard shipping, not the 2 day. Oh well. It should arrive on the 25th

I got mine at the $29.99 price but it was standard shipping, not the 2 day. Oh well. It should arrive on the 25th
Same here I just checked the shipping info and its also regular USPS, so that 2 day shipping is misleading bullshit, mine is coming from Anaheim CA, and will be here by Saturday.

Same here I just checked the shipping info and its also regular USPS, so that 2 day shipping is misleading bullshit, mine is coming from Anaheim CA, and will be here by Saturday.
mine was shipped from anaheim to west virginia with 2 day USPS priority and i paid nothing extra. sorry?

People bitching about the free shipping not being expedited on a $29.99 2TB drive... comedy.

In any case, these drives never went back to the manufacturer to be "refurbished". They were data center pulls. The seller can state "manufacturer refurbished" because there's nothing stopping them doing so, no independent verification and most people don't know the diff anyway. A real manufacturer refurb means SMART is wiped among other telltale signs like new labeling.

I guarantee this company doesn't even power-on test them, much less surface scan them. They decide it's cheaper to deal with replacing/refunding the exception dead drives than spending time testing all of them. Hitachi's happen to be reliable as hell so they're able to get away with this.

Last edited:
I'm not bitching, just saying I checked mine and it wasn't the two day. For $30 I'm just fine with the standard shipping. The thread title was just misleading is all. Maybe it WAS two day shipping, but they stopped that after a lot of people started buying?

People bitching about the free shipping not being expedited on a $29.99 2TB drive... comedy.

In any case, these drives never went back to the manufacturer to be "refurbished". They were data center pulls. The seller can state "manufacturer refurbished" because there's nothing stopping them doing so, no independent verification and most people don't know the diff anyway. A real manufacturer refurb means SMART is wiped among other telltale signs like new labeling.

I guarantee this company doesn't even power-on test them, much less surface scan them. They decide it's cheaper to deal with replacing/refunding the exception dead drives than spending time testing all of them. Hitachi's happen to be reliable as hell so they're able to get away with this.

This is true. Mine had very low hours and no errors so I was fine with it. Actually in the SD thread that was many pages long, almost no one complained.

These drives if you get a good one, are amongst the most reliable.

They are here: Came sooner than Saturday! Yay! Lets take some readings shall we!

1st HD:
Power On Count 23 times
Power On Time 1212 days
S.M.A.R.T Status Good

2nd HD:
Power On Count 23 times
Power On Time 1212 days
S.M.A.R.T Status Good

Attachments

• 20-July-2016_17-11.png
    20-July-2016_17-11.png
    71.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 20-July-2016_17-15.png
    20-July-2016_17-15.png
    74.5 KB · Views: 35
I purchased 6 similar drives from Microcenter a year ago. I did add the $5 3-year warranty to them just in case. They are running in my HP server and have had no issues to date.

I checked my local Microcenter website and they are selling the same drives at the same price ($37~). Its an option for those of you who absolutely need the need the drives today and don't mind paying the extra on tax.

Is this bad? One of the drives has these warnings -

(05) - Reallocated Sector Count - Number of retired sectors 1, Status: The Drive has damaged sectors

(C4) - Reallocated Event Count - Number of sector replacement operations 1, Status: ok

Attachments

• 21-July-2016_14-37.png
    21-July-2016_14-37.png
    76.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 21-July-2016_14-38.png
    21-July-2016_14-38.png
    76.4 KB · Views: 42
How much do these usually retail for brand new?

At work I purchased some of these last year for over $120 at cdw-g. Although now they only have the 7k4000 and 7k6000 models for $180+ for the 2TB drive.

Edit: I see the 7K3000 2TB is listed as call for stock @$126

With that said this is cdw-g pricing. Not known for the best prices but they are the only approved vendor so ..

Last edited:
Got mine, looks brand new.

I forgot to check the SMART status last night but I will tonight.

They are currently in a Windows STORAGE spaces pool so that I see both as one drive. Using them in an HTPC. Their performance last night was fine as I played around with recording 3 shows and flipping channels on the 4 receiver.

They were also packed well. Lots of bubble wrap.

They do run hot.

My only regret is that I did not buy 4 more.

In the process of testing 8 of them.

EDIT: All are "GOOD" with SMART data. Most are 25-35 "powered on", and about 20-25K hours. 16TB for $240 isn't too shabby.

Going to put these in a massive NAS array for non-critical data backups (media).

Last edited:
Bought one from Newegg and had 741 bad sectors. That's way too many so going to exchange.

I've had too many bad experiences with refurb HD's for me to take a chance, even at this price.

I found somebody selling 5 of the Hitachi HUA723020ALA641 drives and offered them 30 each. They accepted and shipped out same day(Last Friday via USPS). Drives are waiting at my doorstep. Hopefully I didn't buy a pile of junk, but they've got 14 day return on them. If they're not in bad shape now odds are they'll be fine in a RAID array.

Go to Downloads | HGST and use it to get HDD health status. I used the HDTune, and it detected 2 warnings on one HDD but then I checked with Hitachis WINDFT, and it was fine. Anyone good with SMART Data Analysis here? I know HDD replace weak sectors as a precaution which may never have caused any problems. How many is too many though? HDDs have finite number of reserve sectors to replace/reallocate bad sectors as a part of self preservation.

I ordered one of these and after a few days it appears to be a healthy drive. 13k power on hours with a power cycle count of 29. The spin up time is ridiculously high however in HD tune (3 billion or so) . Has anyone else encountered this? Took 4 hours to scan, and found no bad sectors and seems to be working just fine. It is much louder than the 7200.10 seagates it replaced.

The label says 6gb/s sata but it only connects at 3gb/s. HD tune reports it as sata 2.6. My motherboard has 2 sata 6 ports, is it possible it is limited to one device?

I was on the fence, and waited until the price went up but i am happy even at 37$.

I ordered one of these and after a few days it appears to be a healthy drive. 13k power on hours with a power cycle count of 29. The spin up time is ridiculously high however in HD tune (3 billion or so) . Has anyone else encountered this? Took 4 hours to scan, and found no bad sectors and seems to be working just fine. It is much louder than the 7200.10 seagates it replaced.

The label says 6gb/s sata but it only connects at 3gb/s. HD tune reports it as sata 2.6. My motherboard has 2 sata 6 ports, is it possible it is limited to one device?

I was on the fence, and waited until the price went up but i am happy even at 37$.
it's not like it matters what speed it connects at.

If anybody cares, I've seen more good luck with the Make an Offer option. Another 4 of these drives went to a friend of mine for $30 shipped free. I think he said they were listed at $45.

it's not like it matters what speed it connects at.

Agreed. I am not sure that this hard drive even maxes out SATA Is bandwidth on the outer tracks. If you think this is slow only a few 7200 RPM drives read and write at over 150 MB/s. No consumer hard drive maxes out a SATA II (with the possible exception of the drives with a small SSD cache) so the difference between SATA II and SATA III for a will not matter that much.

Could be a bad sata cable

These run hot! Mine reached 48-50C in Sabrent USB 3.0 Dock during an extensive 4 hour SMART Scan.

These run hot! Mine reached 48-50C in Sabrent USB 3.0 Dock during an extensive 4 hour SMART Scan.

No kidding - its a 7200RPM server harddisk intended for high-flow servers, and you've got it in a dock with zero ventilation. That said, 48-50C isn't hot.

No kidding - its a 7200RPM server harddisk intended for high-flow servers, and you've got it in a dock with zero ventilation. That said, 48-50C isn't hot.
Its an open air dock, not one of those closed ones, that said HDD is now going into my Corsair 800D with excellent airflow, I have total of 10 case fans, maximum positive air pressure, cpu never breaks 50C, gpu heats up to 70C, SSD&HDD 30-35C. I take good care of my hardware!

No sooner do I get some funds available than this deal disappears... :( Oh well. I wanted to purchase 8 for my new NAS.

No sooner do I get some funds available than this deal disappears... :( Oh well. I wanted to purchase 8 for my new NAS.

These are surprisingly available drives. Keep your eyes on newegg, even. I ordered 2 more at $30 each shipped free the other day.

so how loud is 'loud' ? Clanking when seeking? audible from more than 2 feet away while installed in case?

I don't know about these, but I know with some lease equipment the equipment goes to a "Refurbisher" and they take the machines apart and part them out, usually in whole sale to various people. Some of these "Refurbishers" are allowed to label certain components as manufacture refurbished.

Sometimes the reason's drives are pulled and sent like this is that the large lease contracts require secure data destruction but the lessor. Therefore the "Refurbisher" is actually paid to take the machines/hdd's etc and they are just selling them on eBay for a bit extra profit.

Cheers

The general consensus with these drives is that they are used datacenter pulls from large arrays... Many hours of run-time but few start-up cycles. I ordered 8; they should arrive soon.

Back