eBay @newegg powercolor Vega 64 369 with 8% ebucks

Why would anyone pay 369 for that old hot and loud card at this point? An RTX 2060 is cheaper and just as fast and uses little more than half the power while being cool and quiet.

Why would anyone pay 369 for that old hot and loud card at this point? An RTX 2060 is cheaper and just as fast and uses little more than half the power while being cool and quiet.

All sorts of reasons, really. There are compute tasks that the Vega hardware is far better suited to perform as compared to nVidia hardware. DirectX12 & Vulkan stuff (in general) seems to do a bit better on AMD cards as well. Also, some people have a general aversion to nVidia products. For example, I personally have tried to avoid them where possible ever since the Riva 128 and TNT series of cards - I had traumatic experiences with them and Super Socket 7 systems.

Their periodic asshattery as a company since then has not exactly enticed me to come back to them either.

The AMD card solution works better with Freesync than the Nv implementation.

this is based on?

When I had vega at launch I actually had a nightmare of a time getting freesync to work consistently, so far (2 days) I havent had any issues with NVs implementation. I also do not have a certified monitor.

Reactions: viivo
like this
this is based on?

When I had vega at launch I actually had a nightmare of a time getting freesync to work consistently, so far (2 days) I havent had any issues with NVs implementation. I also do not have a certified monitor.

Same here. I picked up a Vega64 a month ago and wasted many hours trying to make FreeSync better than fixed refresh borderless, but the flickering and stuttering could not be defeated. Haven't had any such issues so far with a 1070 using VRR on the same monitor.

I can't justify the price for a video card but I use an RX580 for Freesync if that makes any difference to the anti AMD crowd. The drivers for AMD cards are just as NVIDIA offers.

I use a 1080p gaming monitor with a Freesync range of 40-75hz (best budget buy by far). Works great. If you consistently get frame rates that are higher than your refresh rate, then adaptive sync isn't something you will need.

Last edited:
Simply basing it off your comment on how vega freesync didnt work at launch. It that an incorrect statement?

I'm referring to this "The AMD card solution works better with Freesync than the Nv implementation."

Where is your evidence? Have you seen any articles on this in the 2 days since launch of the drivers?Or is this just FUD?

Because anecdotally I've experienced the opposite.

Last edited:
I can't justify the price for a video card but I use an RX580 for Freesync if that makes any difference to the anti AMD crowd. The drivers for AMD cards are just as NVIDIA offers.

I use a 1080p gaming monitor with a Freesync range of 40-75hz (best budget buy by far). Works great. If you consistently get frame rates that are higher than your refresh rate, then adaptive sync isn't something you will need.

A negative experience with a product doesn't make that person anti-that brand. I like and use both AMD and NVIDIA. I'm not anti-AMD just because in this one instance VRR works better on my FreeSync monitor with an NVIDIA GPU than did FreeSync with one from AMD.

I'm referring to this "The AMD card solution works better with Freesync than the Nv implementation."

Where is your evidence? Because anecdotally I've experienced the opposite.

I don't think LFC works well in that well in that situation.

None of this has to do with this card. I have the XFX version and it works well.

Reactions: Mega6
like this
Wish PowerColor had a 3 year warranty like everyone else.. instead of 1 year. Even Sapphire has 2 year.

If you don't mind doing some tuning, the 64 is a great card. Well worth the $369.

Wish PowerColor had a 3 year warranty like everyone else.. instead of 1 year. Even Sapphire has 2 year.

Yeah, when I had to RMA my Powercolor ref vega 64, it was horrible, they sent me a bad card in return, wouldn't answer my emails and phone calls because they were so swamped with returns, you get what you pay for.

Yeah, when I had to RMA my Powercolor ref vega 64, it was horrible, they sent me a bad card in return, wouldn't answer my emails and phone calls because they were so swamped with returns, you get what you pay for.

I have 7 of them, that have worked 24/7 for over 14 months without an issue...Different results for different people. :shrug:

Back