Ebay has samsung EVO 850 500GB drives for $150 again

I don't think so. They don't get your credit info if you use Paypal.

With Amazon, you also usually pay for tax. So that 162 becomes around 175. So that's a 16% markup total. Amazon does have a good return policy though.

Personally, I don't really understand why everyone is so eager to jump on Samsung's next batch of new tech drives anyway. They messed up the last batch of EVO's (though we only found out much later on as is the usual with these types of technology), yet everyone's still shoving money down their throats to beta test the next batch. I've said this before, but I'd go with something using older and maybe slightly slower tech that has been out and tested for much longer. SSD is better than no SSD, but a faster SSD isn't necessarily much better than a slower SD.

This is a great price at $150, I paid $177 for one from the amazon warehouse. I've had mine since April and haven't had any issues.

With Amazon, you also usually pay for tax. So that 162 becomes around 175. So that's a 16% markup total. Amazon does have a good return policy though.

Personally, I don't really understand why everyone is so eager to jump on Samsung's next batch of new tech drives anyway. They messed up the last batch of EVO's (though we only found out much later on as is the usual with these types of technology), yet everyone's still shoving money down their throats to beta test the next batch. I've said this before, but I'd go with something using older and maybe slightly slower tech that has been out and tested for much longer. SSD is better than no SSD, but a faster SSD isn't necessarily much better than a slower SD.

The only reason I have any interest in them now is the price. The competition is $10-40 more. I have the feeling samsung is dropping the price to counter the 840 evo disaster. But I'll give them a pass for at least another 6 months or so and stick with other brands.

I run Linux at home so this matters to me. Samsung SSDs are currently on some of the kernel blacklists for enabling certain features.

Hmm, I'm running Gentoo on a Linux server at home using kernel 4.0.5 with an 840 EVO and haven't experienced any issues.

That's interesting, as TRIM appears to be working:

Code:
timmy ~ # /sbin/fstrim -v /
/: 217.2 GiB (233254367232 bytes) trimmed

Check the source in the kernel you are using & you can see what is/was disabled.

They may have just disabled queued trim... IF my original post is right, and Samsung doesn't fix their 8** line firmware, I could imagine trim being disabled completely in a future kernel until a firmware comes out.

Any concerns dealing buy/rakuten even with ebay as a middle man?

I haven't had any problems, so far. I placed my order late last night, and got my shipping confirmation and tracking number today around noon.

I was considering the amazon deal, because Prime. But for me, Texas sales tax killed the deal, and 150ish was my jump on price. Good timing, too since my old game drive just died

Check the source in the kernel you are using & you can see what is/was disabled.

They may have just disabled queued trim... IF my original post is right, and Samsung doesn't fix their 8** line firmware, I could imagine trim being disabled completely in a future kernel until a firmware comes out.

No time to dig any deeper, but thanks for the information. :)

I've said this before, but I'd go with something using older and maybe slightly slower tech that has been out and tested for much longer. SSD is better than no SSD, but a faster SSD isn't necessarily much better than a slower SD.

I agree. What's the deal with so much talk about performance compared to how little emphasis seems to get placed on other parameters like reliability and power consumption?

I agree. What's the deal with so much talk about performance compared to how little emphasis seems to get placed on other parameters like reliability and power consumption?

Simply because this is [H]ard|Forum, not [P]ower|Forum!!! ;)

I haven't had any problems, so far. I placed my order late last night, and got my shipping confirmation and tracking number today around noon.

I was considering the amazon deal, because Prime. But for me, Texas sales tax killed the deal, and 150ish was my jump on price. Good timing, too since my old game drive just died

Same here, ordered this morning got tracking within a few hours. I would have ordered from Amazon since I am Prime member, but tax kills it here in Texas.

The only reason I have any interest in them now is the price. The competition is $10-40 more. I have the feeling samsung is dropping the price to counter the 840 evo disaster. But I'll give them a pass for at least another 6 months or so and stick with other brands.

You really think they'd make that same mistake again? I can understand being hesitant, but this is Samsung we're talking about, not OCZ.

Also, Robstar...do the issues in that link effect only Linux, or Windows too? I can appreciate Linux guys staying away due to the issues mentioned but if it only affects them, then the other 99% of the world can rest easy. ;)

I don't need this, I don't need this, I don't need this.....crap, this deal is taunting me. 3-4 years ago this would have been 1K easily lol.

You really think they'd make that same mistake again? I can understand being hesitant, but this is Samsung we're talking about, not OCZ.

Also, Robstar...do the issues in that link effect only Linux, or Windows too? I can appreciate Linux guys staying away due to the issues mentioned but if it only affects them, then the other 99% of the world can rest easy. ;)

Well, I think it's only blacklisted for ncq trim. This doesn't affect windows. However the company in the first link I posted claims data corruption in corner cases with normal trim+linux+Specific workloads. Probably a corner case. I think we'll have to see what Samsung finds to know if it affects Windows.

Well, I think it's only blacklisted for ncq trim. This doesn't affect windows. However the company in the first link I posted claims data corruption in corner cases with normal trim+linux+Specific workloads. Probably a corner case. I think we'll have to see what Samsung finds to know if it affects Windows.

Cool. I'm mainly using mine as a "write once, read many" type drive (Steam library), so the likelihood of any TRIM issues affecting me should be slim anyway.

Too bad Intel never made the 730 in a 960GB drive. I think I trust them more than anyone, especially when they use their own controller designs.

I don't need this, I don't need this, I don't need this.....crap, this deal is taunting me. 3-4 years ago this would have been 1K easily lol.

I was thinking the same, now I am buying 2 or 3 haha

They already had a firmware issue with the 850 Pro drive earlier this year. Thankfully it wasn't as bad as the 840 evo.

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/after-samsung-840-evo-issues-now-the-850-pro-has-issues-too.html

Someone on another forum said that these Samsung SSDs are way less reliable than say Crucial SSDs. Anyone have experience with the 2 that can speak to this 1st hand?

Someone on another forum said that these Samsung SSDs are way less reliable than say Crucial SSDs. Anyone have experience with the 2 that can speak to this 1st hand?

I've heard the opposite before...but without a huge sample size and knowing the failure rates, there's no way to say for sure. Even someone who has used 10 of each brand can't give statistically significant data. Most of what you read on forums is going to be purely anecdotal. "I had TWO xxxxx's die on me, so they're all crap!" or "My friend's xxxxx only lasted 6 months before it started locking up and erased his data and killed his dog and farted on his pillows."

I know that I have read about some issues with some of the Crucial drives, but I'm not sure how widespread they were or if they were limited to one series. I read absolutely nothing bad about the Samsungs until the 840 EVO fiasco, and it seems like they've been in the spotlight since then, but the 840 and 850 series are extremely popular and I think that if there were real issues that affected large numbers of people, we'd be hearing more about them.

I CAN tell you that there are a ton of people here who have used both without a single issue...I say pick the one that fits your budget and go with it.

I've heard the opposite before...but without a huge sample size and knowing the failure rates, there's no way to say for sure...

...I CAN tell you that there are a ton of people here who have used both without a single issue...I say pick the one that fits your budget and go with it.

Agreed!

I've heard the opposite before...but without a huge sample size and knowing the failure rates, there's no way to say for sure. Even someone who has used 10 of each brand can't give statistically significant data. Most of what you read on forums is going to be purely anecdotal. "I had TWO xxxxx's die on me, so they're all crap!" or "My friend's xxxxx only lasted 6 months before it started locking up and erased his data and killed his dog and farted on his pillows."

I know that I have read about some issues with some of the Crucial drives, but I'm not sure how widespread they were or if they were limited to one series. I read absolutely nothing bad about the Samsungs until the 840 EVO fiasco, and it seems like they've been in the spotlight since then, but the 840 and 850 series are extremely popular and I think that if there were real issues that affected large numbers of people, we'd be hearing more about them.

I CAN tell you that there are a ton of people here who have used both without a single issue...I say pick the one that fits your budget and go with it.
Yeah that's a good point. I guess the other thing that might be a little more easier to compare is how good is customer service/tech support in the event a failure occurs and how good is the vendor (Samsung in this case) on releasing firmware updates.

I have a Crucial m4 and Intel 530 in my PC and both are running just fine (knock on wood). But my Steam games are hogging up all their disk space and I've had to temporarily park lesser (or never) played games on my magnetic HDD. A 1 TB SSD should give my Steam collection some much necessary breathing room and leave my magnetic HDD for non-performance storage, like my multimedia files.

I guess I'll just go with a 1 TB that is close to $300 with decent performance and preferably a 5-year warranty instead of 3. If I have to, I'll wait until BF, but I'd ideally like to get it by Labor Day.

It's not about the same mistake. It's about general behavior and the nature of the purchase. Samsung is using new technology in their EVO drives. This leads to any purchasers within the first X years to basically be lab rats. IE beta testers. The nature of new tech is maybe lower prices and/or higher performance in exchange for possible reliability consequences. With the 840 EVO we have fast but not durable TLC technology that ended up crapping out on users much later on. With the 850 EVO we have vertical NAND. Who knows what's going to happen?
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/after-samsung-840-evo-issues-now-the-850-pro-has-issues-too.html

There are older MLC drives out there (like the Crucial M500 that I am using) which have been battle-tested and proven. They are slower, but what kind of performance do you exactly have to gain with faster SSD vs slower SSD? In the real world, not much at all. This isn't like the RoG Swift, which at its release time was in high demand despite its experimental nature due to providing an arguably unparalleled gaming experience. There is nothing to gain by beta testing SSD lines.

Meh, for me it wasn't about real-world speed increases, it was about price. I got my 1TB 850 EVO for $275, which is lower than I've ever seen the 960GB M500 whose lowest price until recently was $305 on Amazon, and user reviews were extremely positive for both so I just picked the cheaper one.

Also, that's the second time someone has used that Guru3D link to raise concern about Samsung SSDs, but it talks about a firmware issue with the 850 Pro and is not indicative of the 850 EVO. They use completely different firmwares, NAND, etc. It would be like me saying that everyone should steer clear of Hondas because the 2002 Accord had a transmission recall. It's not indicative of all of their products.

I'm not arguing for or against the Crucial. And the 850 EVO may very well turn out to have some "catastrophic" issue at some point. For me, it's just a Steam drive so I don't give 2 shits. I'm not running anything mission critical on it. Maybe I'll pick up an M500 too, now that they're only $280 AR, and compare the two over time.

Meh, for me it wasn't about real-world speed increases, it was about price. I got my 1TB 850 EVO for $275, which is lower than I've ever seen the 960GB M500 whose lowest price until recently was $305 on Amazon, and user reviews were extremely positive for both so I just picked the cheaper one.

Also, that's the second time someone has used that Guru3D link to raise concern about Samsung SSDs, but it talks about a firmware issue with the 850 Pro and is not indicative of the 850 EVO. They use completely different firmwares, NAND, etc. It would be like me saying that everyone should steer clear of Hondas because the 2002 Accord had a transmission recall. It's not indicative of all of their products.

I'm not arguing for or against the Crucial. And the 850 EVO may very well turn out to have some "catastrophic" issue at some point. For me, it's just a Steam drive so I don't give 2 shits. I'm not running anything mission critical on it. Maybe I'll pick up an M500 too, now that they're only $280 AR, and compare the two over time.
When and where did you get a 1 TB 850 Evo for just $275? That's a crazy good price. Heck, I don't know if this year's BF will have a better deal than that for that make/model.

Picked it up from the FS/T forum here. :) Guy was selling a few BNIB for that price. He might get more; that was the second time I'd seen him selling them. Missed out the first time!

Back