[Ebay fees] Is it worth it to sell on Ebay vs here for example?

Discussion in 'eBay Auctions' started by Chaddyboy, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Chaddyboy

Chaddyboy n00b

I don't know if this is appropriate conversation for here, so I'm sorry if it's not. :S

Just wondering how some of you more experienced users see Ebay/Paypal fees in selling individual items (hardware/peripherals) vs other places.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/selling-fees?id=4364 - That's their FAQ of fee structure, which I am probably overcomplicating... but I am just trying to understand it.

The way I understand it - for someone new like me with only buyer rep and no 'store' - I would be charged a fee to list the item, as well as 10% of the gross total, including shipping.

Then paypal takes 3.9% on top of this.

Am I really looking to take a ~15% hit on the gross value of my item+shipping? That seems way too brutal to be true, lol

*edit* I'm obviously looking to get the most value back from my purchases, as these are all done within the last 6-8 months and still under manufacturers warranty - I thought ebay was the go-to... but that must have been years ago, haha. What's the platform people use more... frugally nowadays?

2. Furious_Styles

Furious_Styles [H]ard|Gawd

Ebay sucks on fees that's for sure. Selling on various forums is the better bet. Much less scamming douches as well.

3. Chaddyboy

Chaddyboy n00b

Wait, seriously? You mean there's less scammers on forums than on Ebay?

auntjemima likes this.
  4. Guarana [BAWLS]

Guarana [BAWLS] [H]ard|Gawd

Frequently yes.
    You need some forum usage to even be able to use the FS/Trade forum here, and then if people are found to be scammers, they're blacklisted / banned.

Heat and other things also make the forum more reliable.

5. LOCO LAPTOP

LOCO LAPTOP [H]ardForum Junkie

Especially here with members that have been here for many years.

SticKx911 likes this.
  6. Chaddyboy

Chaddyboy n00b

Yeah, I always looked as this place as the more mature forum. I'm trying to sell some of my stuff here, but I might not make the 100 post requirement in time, haha. xD

7. filip

filip [H]ard|Gawd

ebay you sell faster but have to deal with douches, forum you sell slower unless your price is good but the douche factor is very low if not existent.

SticKx911 likes this.
  8. kirbyrj

kirbyrj [H]ard as it Gets

If you're going to sell on ebay, you have to look for "deals" on fees when they offer them. Like capped final value fees and stuff like that. The only real draw of ebay is the number of people who use it. Otherwise, I wouldn't touch it.

Emission likes this.
  9. Furious_Styles

Furious_Styles [H]ard|Gawd

Yeah and those scammers can be a hidden cost. Not to mention if you're selling something relatively expensive you pretty much have to buy insurance and get signature required to protect from them.

filip likes this.
  10. Chaddyboy

Chaddyboy n00b

Can you give a little more information on that?

Do they email you an offer or is it like a public thing?

The google results are frustrating, haha.

11. SPARTAN VI

SPARTAN VI [H]ardness Supreme

I've sold around 5 items on ebay versus dozens of sales of Anand and [H]. Ebay's the only place where I've encountered a buyer who tried to burn me.

Back in 2014, I listed a Samsung G2 smartphone on ebay for $35 with several sharp pictures at various angles and detailed what would be included in the box. A buyer used "buy it now," then complained the day after it arrived that it didn't include its original accessories. The listing very specifically stated what would be in the box (e.g. the phone, its original box, and manual) which was 100% corroborated by the pictures I took of the phone and its contents. The guy wasn't having it and opened a "not as described claim." In his claim, he said that I shipped him a phone that was rusted, and made no mention about his original grievance. I supplied ebay/paypal with copies of our conversation log, and the photos from the listing and they actually ruled in my favor.

Guy still wasn't happy and left a negative review on my account for scamming him for selling him "a rusted phone." He never once asked to return the phone for a refund; he was trying to get something for nothing. After shipping and fees, I probably had around $10 in "profit" from the sale. So I waited a few months, then shipped the guy a $10 box of poop from poopsenders.com. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    xmadror, yoyo55, SamuelL421 and 3 others like this.
  12. Chaddyboy

Chaddyboy n00b

LOLOLOL - that's some sweet, sweet revenge. xD

SPARTAN VI likes this.
  13. kirbyrj

kirbyrj [H]ard as it Gets

Usually targeted e-mails. Probably have to sell a few things before you get it.

I usually stay away from selling electronics unless it's something I know has a very low chance of not working (boxed CPU's). Sporting goods (golf clubs) are pretty easy to sell though as the condition can usually be demonstrated by good pictures and it's hard to argue "Item not as described."

14. cyclone3d

cyclone3d [H]ardForum Junkie

From the article:
    In all the years I've been selling on eBay, I have never once paid a listing fee.

The new final value fees for non-store subscribers is not very clear. I know it used to be 8% for most computer stuff. Looks like they may have raised it to 10%.

15. UnknownSouljer

UnknownSouljer [H]ardness Supreme

It all depends on what you're trying to sell.
    Sometimes you're trying to sell items that only a niche market wants and allowing everyone in the nation to be able to bid/BIN is more expedient than any limited market (like selling locally, or only using the members on a single forum).
    I've spent a lot of time buying and selling used stuff and basically, like all things, it depends. And there are different advantages and disadvantages to every marketplace.

eBay has fees, but it's more or less guaranteed that you will sell your item, and if it's even remotely in demand, and you've described it well, with good feedback, and good photos, you will be able to sell it for its highest value. Either through letting the market decide, or for super niche items listing it with a BIN at the top of the market to buyers looking for that particular thing.

I've listed quite a few things that way. I more or less liquidated all of my rare console games. I had a complete CE copy of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask that I sold as a set. I had a complete clean copy of Secret of Mana for the SNES as another example. eBay is more or less the only place I could sell items like that and expect that I could extract the full value out of them (regardless of the 10%~ worth of fees). Facebook marketplace, Craigslist, and etc don't generally cast a wide enough net and also I would have to deal with a significant amount of bargainers, tire kickers, and other time wasters that don't exist on eBay.
    That isn't to say that eBay doesn't have its own set of problems, but if you're dealing generally with people that have good feedback you won't run into problems.

For other things, that I'll call "affinity products", I generally find forums to be the best for them. If you want computer hardware the [H] is one of the best places for that. If you want to buy/sell/trade photography gear, I highly recommend the Fred Miranda forums. If you want headphones, obviously Head-Fi is the place. And so on and so forth. The only issue with affinity forums is of course needing to have some level of rep on each to be able to buy or sell efficiently. And if you're wise you'll stick to paid Paypal to cover yourself as well as making sure everything is fully insured during transit.
    Still, I haven't had a problem, as once again I'm working only people with excellent feedback. And I've bought and sold single items in excess of $2000 (such as, at the time, the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II).

16. Joust

Joust 2[H]4U

I've bought and sold plenty. I try to hit up [H] first, then eBay.

Emission likes this.
  17. NovaCloud

NovaCloud Limp Gawd

That's awesome! hahahaha

SPARTAN VI likes this.
  18. Emission

Emission [H]ardness Supreme

+1, particularly since I'd rather offer savings to a fellow forum member than pay eBay a listing fee.

Joust likes this.
  19. cjcox

cjcox [H]ard|Gawd

It's wise to try here first. But sometimes....

Tags: