eBay asking users for their Social Security numbers ahead of rule change by IRS

For some reason, Zelle believes they aren't subject to this rule? Because of this I've decided to potentially only accept Zelle if I sell anything... it's either that or maybe just not sell anything anymore. I don't know. The burden of proving something I'm selling is being sold at a loss is too much. Paypal reports it either way- so the onus is on the seller. If I sell some SSD I've had sitting around for 6 years, how the F am I supposed to remotely prove anything about it? That feels like a fight not worth fighting.

Facebook Market place doing cash is about all I do any more, I let my ebay account go at 644 purple star.

Now you know why we had Moon Shine in the Carolinas, it didn't have Satan's opinion or Tax on it, hell even the cars liked it better than Satan's taxed gas.

You're taxed everywhere, its ridiculous.

Buy something, tax.
Sell, tax.
Work, tax.
Want to live somewhere, tax.
Want to have a car, tax.
Want fuel for the car, tax.
Want to drive the road to work, toll tax.
Ad nauseum

Sell crap you bought taxed with taxed money that you used your multiple-taxed car... you betcha, tax. You shouldn't be taxed in every direction! If you bought X taxed with taxed money, it should be fair to sell it without more.

Right after you get a paycheck you'll only get ~70% of it normally, but after the taxes above I need to recheck my math. My gut says half.

These $600+ laws don't hurt the rich, just another slam to everyone else. Just like traffic tickets (poor peoples tax).
People collecting taxes unsurprisingly like to spend tax money. Bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of expanding bureaucracy.

Bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of expanding bureaucracy.
Hahahaha... reminds me of the old gov't adage that says:

"let's commission a feasibility study to see if it will be feasible to do a study to see if xxx idea or program is gonna be feasible"

Anyways, fleecebay already has more info about me than I would prefer, but they sure as hell aint ever, ever, gettin my SSN, IRS rulz or no IRS rulz..

But I guess they can have it when they can pry it from my cold, dead hands :D

If the government is going to charge me a disposal fee when I buy something, they had better be there to pick it up at my house and dispose of it at the end of its service life.
Except that's not the point of it, it's you buying something that will eventually need to be disposed of, so they collect money to deal with the recycling or proper disposal of said items. Not to give you free curb side pickup because you paid an extra $2 or something. The idea is simple in the past if you had ewaste like a tv it would cost extra to bring it to the dumps, so what do people do? they smash it up and toss it in their garbage can or leave it on the side of the road, the whole point is to give an avenue for people to properly dispose of stuff, e.g. televisions, without additional cost so that the population would be more inclined take said items to the proper disposal area. That said it doesn't always work as planned and you still see TVs on the side of the road because people are fucking stupid, luckily street cleaning crews come around toss them in the back of their truck and eventually take them to the dumps to be recycled/handled.

And if you live in California, we have fees too. Battery disposal fee, mattress disposal fee, electronic disposal, television/moiitor disposal fees, and etc etc.. Does the government actually offer easy access to dispose of waste after they collect the sales fee? Of course not.
Depends on where you live as mentioned, ironically in San Francisco of all places it's super easy to get rid of toxic stuff of the like. That said there should be the ability for you to drop off said stuff, however if you live in a more rural area chances are those local governments pull the ol' "not our problem" game and leave it for the bigger cities.

This. Ebay and Paypal got a divorce. But it's not your fault! They both still love you(r money).

Ebay is fking BS now as a seller, you have to link a checking account to get paid. No fking way, Ebay. My days as a seller there are over. And THAT is even on top of all the scammer bastards.

I don't book my face, so no FB marketplace. And no Craigslist, I don't want to get shot or scammed. I sell a couple things on here now and then, but some stuff doesn't move. SIGH I guess Reddit is next? I'm scared :(

I only sell my stuff here in the For Sale/Trade section. It could be a carburetor for all I care, someone on [H] will buy it.

That said, I buy stuff on eBay all the time.

I only sell my stuff here in the For Sale/Trade section. It could be a carburetor for all I care, someone on [H] will buy it.

That said, I buy stuff on eBay all the time.

Yes I do still buy things on ebay. Selling is pretty much here and FPS but it's basically the same crowd. Some things move great, others, not. Patience....

Best thing if you don't like the law is call your local representatives in senate and congress and tell them.

What I gather from context though is that apparently there was an old rule in place that only required them to report sales in excess of $20k or if there were more than 200 transactions in a year.

That was apparently changed to a $600 reporting limit which was supposed to be implemented for tax year 2022, but they delayed implementation to 2023.

Remember those COVID era stimulus checks? I guess they assumed lowering the threshold to $600 would get a lot more tax money from side gigs. They need to get that money back somehow. I know they were dabbling with lowering the threshold for a while but it seemed like once the stimulus packages were talked about they fast tracked it through.

Now what does reportable mean? Ok, so ebay or other third parties have to report the transaction, but what are the rules regarding what is actually taxable?

$600. That is anything you sell. You could sell a used GPU for a loss for $605 with the original price being $1000, and ebay/PayPal/Amazon will report that. When you do your taxes note it wasn't sold for a profit. This will of course be a headache for those not used to running their own business or side gigs. Just another thing to deal with come tax season.

I can totally understand that this makes sense for those who make their living selling shit online, but average people just selling their old stuff in online classifieds should never have to pay any taxes on that shit. If that is the intent, then it is pitchfork time.

You don't owe taxes on stuff sold at a loss. But yes, dealing with it come tax time is very annoying.

Sounds like unless you sold for a profit, you can just disregard these forms. if you did sell for a profit though, you have to report them as capital gains on form 8949. At least that is my non-legal interpretation.

sounds like they're treating it the same as stocks...if you sell a stock for profit then you need to report it as capital gain and pay taxes

sounds like they're treating it the same as stocks...if you sell a stock for profit then you need to report it as capital gain and pay taxes
Difference is that you can offset capital gains on one stock with a capital loss on another. You can also carry forward losses for three years and use $3000 per year as a loss even with no gains. Not so with this. Gains hurt you, but losses can't help you.

IRS agents (Men in Black) are made from trees, (Orks) they are made to chase paper and return it to the Wizard of OZ

Last edited:
Zarathustra for prez! I'm fine with an income tax, but not getting taxed everywhere!

I think a house cleaning of govt entities would drastically reduce the tax needs too. Personal example: Every single government job in construction is prevailing wage, instead of a system that pushes for efficient expedited work, you'll see schools take months to remodel/build but actual work time is a couple days.

I heard Washington is putting a toll on interstate-5, how does a state tax a federal highway?

Sorry, getting off topic. Guess all sales will be <=599.99, what about multiple payment plans? Lol. 4 simple payments of 599 for X product
I-5 is paid for and maintained by each state it passes through so they can do what ever they want.. either way the uneducated idiots of this state caused the need for the toll.

now back to the regular programming.

"you'll see schools take months to remodel/build but actual work time is a couple days."

?what?
Couple days to do what?

"you'll see schools take months to remodel/build but actual work time is a couple days."
This is because:

A) You have 30 guys onsite, 25 guys supervising the work, and 5-6 guys who are actually doing the work, and
B) Construction workers know the exact definition of the word "milk"...

This is because:

A) You have 30 guys onsite, 25 guys supervising the work, and 5-6 guys who are actually doing the work, and
The General Contractor is useless, they sub all their work out to green card holders, framing and sheet rock piggy back off the GC's license, subs without license, which is illegal in the state of N.C. if the person is not a 40hr employee of the license holder.
The HVAC/ Ele/Plumbing/ all have their own license and don't need a General Contractor to oversee their work.

When the GC takes bids, the lowest price is taken, but the highest price is used in the GC's bidding.

This is because:

I have never seen that, where have you? I'm in New York U.S.A.

I have never seen that, where have you? I'm in New York U.S.A.
I've seen it literally anywhere that any local, county, state or federal construction projects are happening... not quite as prevalant in residential construction but there is some there too... it's the old "chiefs & indians" scenario...

Perhaps you should go hang out at or near any highway, bridge, or other infrastructure project site for about 15 minutes, and make note of the number of people who are standing around talking on a phone or staring at blueprints vs. the number of people running the machinery, jackhammers, shovels etc :D

I only have 40+ years in the construction trade; Residential, commercial, industrial.
Plus I am a retired Master Electrician, started nonunion went union.
You apparently do not know how construction works. There isn't spare/extra time for men to just hangout; the profit margins are too low. When you see what look like men talking on the phone, standing around, can be for any reason.
The great a dumb engineer screwed up.
The prints are Wrong.
The men found something and need a higher pay grade person to ok things.
It is break time.
Someone is in a meeting and the men are waiting on an ok to work.
No materials, waiting for tools from an other job; so yes, guys make it look like we are working until the Forman fixes things.
Government jobs have paperwork beyond belief for supervision to fill out and follow; not to mention bidding the losers.
On the manpower end you have Teamsters, Operating Engineers, Laborers, etc, every job being done, each will have A boss of some kind.

Back