EB Games and No XBOX 360 for me!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alkoholik

[H]ard|Gawd
I just got a call from the wonderful people at EB Games and they said they won't be able to honor my preorder. They said their initial order of 50 units was reduced by Microsoft to only 26 units. I had placed my preorder on May 10, 2005 and my preorder was #29. The guy at EB said that I am #3 on the list for the second shipment which would be some time in December. Needless to say I am pissed!! I preordered that thing way before it even had a name. It was called xbox 2 on my receipt for gods sake. Yes, I know its not EB's fault and is more microsoft but I passed up preorders with bestbuy and eb games online since I already had an order in. BLAH!!!

alkoholik said:
I just got a call from the wonderful people at EB Games and they said they won't be able to honor my preorder. They said their initial order of 50 units was reduced by Microsoft to only 26 units. I had placed my preorder on May 10, 2005 and my preorder was #29. The guy at EB said that I am #3 on the list for the second shipment which would be some time in December. Needless to say I am pissed!! I preordered that thing way before it even had a name. It was called xbox 2 on my receipt for gods sake. Yes, I know its not EB's fault and is more microsoft but I passed up preorders with bestbuy and eb games online since I already had an order in. BLAH!!!

Actually I have heard it is EBs fault. See they sort of "assumed" or estimated availability & how many pre-orders to take and far exceeded that number. In the game store war securing a pre-order over your competetion is the most important thing.

Shortages could also be pinnd on Microsoft, but its not very smart taking pe-orders on a system you dont even have the release date of 8 months in advance.

Its all about getting your $$$$ before the other guy.

[Fate]Doom said:
Actually I have heard it is EBs fault. See they sort of "assumed" or estimated availability & how many pre-orders to take and far exceeded that number. In the game store war securing a pre-order over your competetion is the most important thing.

Shortages could also be pinnd on Microsoft, but its not very smart taking pe-orders on a system you dont even have the release date of 8 months in advance.

Its all about getting your $$$$ before the other guy.

If it is their fault then I think they should compensate the people that have been screwed over. I preordered mine before the MTV launch event to avoid what happened to me today. Whats the sense of preordering something if youre not going to get it. Now I have to try and find some place else to get it at launch ie. Walmart or Target and stand in line for hours, wait in the cold with the other people that either didnt have a preorder or missed the 1st cut too.....BUNCH OF CRAP!!

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=977448

I ordered 5 from eb on first shipment and had the same call today...

This could probably be a class action lawsuit...I ordered 5 of them back in mid summer - and so they've had my 250 dollars (50 per system) for the last 5 months or so...sounds a little illegal.

Archaea said:

This could probably be a class action lawsuit...I ordered 5 of them back in mid summer - and so they've had my 250 dollars (50 per system) for the last 5 months or so...sounds a little illegal.

yep, earning interest on our preorder money does sound a little shady to me.....anybody a lawyer on here??

anybody know where else to get the x360 at launch?

I've heard that only select Best Buys will be having a midnight launch. For me that would be the store in New York city...I wont even bother with that one as I would have to start camping now to get a spot in line.

Walmart will be open so I'm sure they will have it at midnight.

So far I've read that most stores will be open in the am

Target will be giving people tickets
Best Buy will have about 60 systems on hand (not sure how many are core/premium)

Anybody know of anything else?

My little brother works for EB, and says that it was M$'s fault. He is not in love with EB, so its not like he has anything to hide. He basically said that it was M$'s decision to short the orders, to build "hype".

Sorry guys, that really has to suck.

hype is overrated :p

anybody have bill gates' email address...id like to give him a piece of my mind........ :mad:

Really sucks but I can't say I'm surprised.

EB/Gamestop/Babbages all of those boutique software stores suck. High prices/high pressure sales tactics/poor customer service.
:(

Allaxul said:
The guys of Penny Arcade feel your pain...

now thats funny....sad but funny

ya know...i never buy anything from those places (Babbages, EB, Gamestop, Funcoland) but EB had this flier in their window back in May for preorder and I thought it would be a good idea to plan ahead....guess that didnt work out too well now did it?

alkoholik said:

Dude...May 10th and not getting one on launch?...that's harsh.

Since nobody's getting a huge shipment, most stores aren't doing a midnight sale.
This means only people that aren't taking off, not in school, or don't have jobs will be there at the openings.

I took off so I'm gonna camp out somewhere...haven't decided where would be best though because there's a bunch of Best Buys, Wal Marts, and Circuit Citys around me.

Are there any other stores selling 360s that don't preorder?

For NYC people, forget all the major stores and just go to Chinatown. They ALWAYS have consoles on release date, and they don't charge you tax.

ThunderGod66 said:
Dude...May 10th and not getting one on launch?...that's harsh.

yep and I have the receipt to prove it.....SKU says XBX2 on it
went to the store last month to put another $100 down on it and that receipt says XBX360....so what exactly is going to happen to the $225 I have down on it.....gift cards would BLOW!!

btf1980 said:
For NYC people, forget all the major stores and just go to Chinatown. They ALWAYS have consoles on release date, and they don't charge you tax.

do they really?? and are they legit?

They got everything there. Where do you think all these people get their unlocked Motorola Razrs and other phones from and sell them on ebay? They buy it wholesale and make a killing on ebay selling it for for double what they paid. Just go to all the little electronic stores on Canal Street, go early because it will be a scramble. these Chinese guys wake up early.

If you don't mind the journey, Costco on Staten Island will have a bunch of 360's and around there, it's only like old people and immigrants who shop there....lol. you have options, you just need to hustle. The Virgin megastore will have a few as well because they don't take pre-orders.

btf1980 said:
If you don't mind the journey, Costco on Staten Island will have a bunch of 360's and around there, it's only like old people and immigrants who shop there....lol. you have options, you just need to hustle. The Virgin megastore will have a few as well because they don't take pre-orders.

Is that just the SI Costco or will all Costcos have some?

I don't know what other Costcos will have, but you could call and ask, I know the SI one will have them.

i'll have to give em a call.....i got a business costco card so they let me in 1 hour before the regulars.....if they got some ill be there

btf1980 said:
I'm 20 minutes away from NYC. :)

I emailed eb games and told them about my situation with the xbox 360 preorder. I also told them that I want some sort of compensation...whether or not it is their error or microsoft's is not the case...they took the order and they have my money for the past 7 months....i now want compensation...either a gift card or a game or something....I also emailed microsoft (hahaha) and told them that this form of "hype" will not be tolerated by us - the supports of the original xbox....if it wasnt for us....theyd just have themselves another sega saturn/dreamcast...etc

Microsoft is only shipping around 1.5 mil 360s before year end...means probably an average of 15 per EB/Gamestop store at launch....less than expected

saw that figure on siliconvalley.com a while back.

I emailed EB Games and Microsoft to see what the deal was....no response as of yet

Our local gamecrazy has had the highest number of preorders in our "financial region" (~250), and I was so delighted when they got the call that they would only be recieving 75 consoles, and even more so that 40 of those sets would be the core, leaving only 35 to be premium packs.

Not delighted because a lot of people won't be getting theirs on launch day. That sucks hard. No, I'm delighted because it'll put some strain on a couple of employees who work there that I really dislike.

It really blows that many, many people wouldn't be getting their consoles on time. But I have a rule of never buying first-run consoles (for my own reasons) and this provides a little entertainment to our sleepy little town, and it's pompous gamecrazy employees.

I pre-ordered my xbox360 in early October and I am #5 on the list.

I guess I lucked out because i preorded at an EB games that opened the same week.

I emailed EB and said that they shouldnt had taken so many preorders based on presumtions. I also said that maybe they should rethink about the way preorders are done. Maybe just have one local store open to all of those that preordered months in advance to get their consoles over people that just happened to preorder at a newly opened store or just live in a small town.

alkoholik said:
I emailed eb games and told them about my situation with the xbox 360 preorder. I also told them that I want some sort of compensation...whether or not it is their error or microsoft's is not the case...they took the order and they have my money for the past 7 months....i now want compensation...either a gift card or a game or something

Good luck with that. I seriously doubt they will do anything for you, but I am sure that if every single pre-order person who missed out on the first shipment complained maybe you would get a result. Stranger things have happened.

I also emailed microsoft (hahaha) and told them that this form of "hype" will not be tolerated by us - the supports of the original xbox....if it wasnt for us....theyd just have themselves another sega saturn/dreamcast...etc

Unfortunately for you it will be tolerated. Ultimately any serious gamer will find a reason to buy this system, as will millions of casual gamers. Microsoft will make massive profits unless all the systems start breaking in the first month.

At the end of the day though, no matter what you demand, the exec's at both EB/Gamestop and MS will be saying to themselves "All this kid (they will think of you as a kid even though they are marketing primarily to adults) has to do is wait a week? What's the big deal?" and then they will probably blow you off like nothing. Sorry.

hignaki said:
No, I'm delighted because it'll put some strain on a couple of employees who work there that I really dislike.

I am sorry you don't like your local videogame store employees, but I have to say that finding a way to get along with these guys is the BEST way to make sure you get what you want. Of course I am lucky in that I actually like all of the people currently working at both the game stores near my work. However, over the years their have been a few I didn't like, but I still made sure to treat them well.

Anyway, by dropping by regularly on my lunches to chat, and by buying regularly from both stores I get all sorts of little advantages. I have gotten lots of pre-order items for games whether I pre-ordered them or not (or even whether I bought them).... This includes so many T-shirts I never have to buy my own anymore. There are a lot of other things they do for me, including watching for used games I want and putting them aside for me. They also let me know almost as soon as they found out about the 360 shortage and the manager at the store I didn't have my reservation at offered me his reservation if my reservation wasn't high enough on the list to get me one on the 22nd. But then when I went to the other store where my reservation was he manager their told me the would make sure I got one in the first shipment no matter how low the allocation was cut (fortunately I am still high enough on the list that nobody who reserved before me is scheduled to miss out.).

Also when my boss asked me just yesterday if there was any way I could get him a 360 for his son before Christmas. I went down to talk to the manager at the store I didn't currently have a reservation at and he let me reserve a core system that had just been added to his numbers. He technically was supposed to keep it unreserved in case a system that had the EB "insurance" on it broke before the second shipment came in, but he let it go since I have been buying from him for 7 years now. (He still has a few more for that situation, and prior to just yesterday he hadn't expected to have any "backups" so again, nobody should miss out.)

bestbuy doesnt do preorders on xbox 360s, so i dont know how you passed one up.

arentol said:
Anyway, by dropping by regularly on my lunches to chat, and by buying regularly from both stores I get all sorts of little advantages. I have gotten lots of pre-order items for games whether I pre-ordered them or not (or even whether I bought them).... This includes so many T-shirts I never have to buy my own anymore. There are a lot of other things they do for me, including watching for used games I want and putting them aside for me. They also let me know almost as soon as they found out about the 360 shortage and the manager at the store I didn't have my reservation at offered me his reservation if my reservation wasn't high enough on the list to get me one on the 22nd. But then when I went to the other store where my reservation was he manager their told me the would make sure I got one in the first shipment no matter how low the allocation was cut (fortunately I am still high enough on the list that nobody who reserved before me is scheduled to miss out.).

Also when my boss asked me just yesterday if there was any way I could get him a 360 for his son before Christmas. I went down to talk to the manager at the store I didn't currently have a reservation at and he let me reserve a core system that had just been added to his numbers. He technically was supposed to keep it unreserved in case a system that had the EB "insurance" on it broke before the second shipment came in, but he let it go since I have been buying from him for 7 years now. (He still has a few more for that situation, and prior to just yesterday he hadn't expected to have any "backups" so again, nobody should miss out.)

I wonder how many of these "sweetheart" deals are screwing the people that actually preorder the consoles? I'm sure some of the employees got their orders in as well as some of their friends and family....just a bunch of crap. If I dont get my console at launch, I'm not going to get one. I'll just put the money towards the 512mb GTX card instead. I'm sure the visuals will look much better with that in my PC then on the x180 (as I will now call it).

tycoot said:
bestbuy doesnt do preorders on xbox 360s, so i dont know how you passed one up.

best buy did do a preorder.....it was for their reward zone members....for only 1 hour last week (i think it was at 11am ET on wed, nov 9)

Archaea said:

Good luck doing anything about that.

1) you arent allowed to have more than 1 system pre ordered
2) How is that illegal? they told you that the money goes towards the system? and it does. you will get your system...or systems....so hows that illegal...no one told you to do 5 systems

Its microsofts fault for shorting us the systems, we are there to take pre orders and sell them, We do not control how many we get in, if that were the case everyone would have one. My manager cant even get one

alkoholik said:
I emailed EB and said that they shouldnt had taken so many preorders based on presumtions. I also said that maybe they should rethink about the way preorders are done. Maybe just have one local store open to all of those that preordered months in advance to get their consoles over people that just happened to preorder at a newly opened store or just live in a small town.

And we already have rethoughtt his now. For ps3 launch NO BODY will be gauranteed a sytem not even the first person on the list.

The reason we do so many pre orders is for the long term after.... I personally like to pay my system off over a period of time instead of 400 bucks out at once

I was going to go camp out in front of Target, but now I got invited to Zero Hour so maybe I can now pick up one there. If not, I'll be in front of my local Target early on the 22nd.

this thread makes me feel like preordering my ps3 right about now just to make sure. may of of 05 and still not getting one, jesus christ :eek:

I'll be getting 5 Xbox360's on the 22nd. Ebaying 4 of them for $100 over MSRP to cover my 5th. PM me if you want one. :)

Do the ethics involved in pre-ordering more then one XBOX, just so you can sell it for an inflated price (selfish), to people who were not able to recieve there pre-order or even get there hands on one singular XBOX, bother no one but me ?

Draax said:
Do the ethics involved in pre-ordering more then one XBOX, just so you can sell it for an inflated price (selfish), to people who were not able to recieve there pre-order or even get there hands on one singular XBOX, bother no one but me ?

Money is money

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back