Easy Wii Question

greenhorn1

Limp Gawd
Couldn't find any recent info on this but can anyone confirm that Wii will be 100% backwards compatible with gamecube games? I'm pretty sure that's what I heard but I wanted to make sure before I sell my gamecube.

Eyuppers. 100% Backwards compatibility with GC, N64, SNES, NES, Sega, .etc

Isaacav2 said:

I have read it before but everytime I see it I get excited. That has to be some of the greatest gaming news in a long time. The Wii is going to be a force to reckoned with me thinks in the console war that will start up here in a few short months.

Technoob said:
wait...wii will play my sega genesis games?

Using "virtual console" DL roms via a nintendo store (maybe like itunes?)

The wii also has gamecube ports for older controllers. (another faq that seems to come up missing in threads like this)

Isaacav2 said:

I honestly don't want to be a nitpicker, but the words "backwards compatible" denote a very specific capability - specifically, it means that games from an older console can be played in the new one. So, the Wii will be backwards compatible with the GC because it can take GC discs and run them. It will have emulation capability for consoles older than that, such as the NES, SNES, Genesis, TurboGrafx, N64, etc. Unfortunately, there's no way it will be 100% because Nintendo, Sega and NEC could not possibly get the rights to republish every single game in the back catalogs of their systems.

Babbster said:
I honestly don't want to be a nitpicker, but the words "backwards compatible" denote a very specific capability - specifically, it means that games from an older console can be played in the new one. So, the Wii will be backwards compatible with the GC because it can take GC discs and run them. It will have emulation capability for consoles older than that, such as the NES, SNES, Genesis, TurboGrafx, N64, etc. Unfortunately, there's no way it will be 100% because Nintendo, Sega and NEC could not possibly get the rights to republish every single game in the back catalogs of their systems.
Nor would they want to bother with every game. Nobody is going to want to play older sports games or games that just flat out suck.

Technoob said:
wait...wii will play my sega genesis games?

No you have to download Genesis games (ie pay for them). You cannot insert your Genesis games into the Wii.

ok, like the guy above explained, that's not backwards compatability, it's just emulation. The only thing wii will be backwards compatible with is gamecube.

Technoob said:
ok, like the guy above explained, that's not backwards compatability, it's just emulation. The only thing wii will be backwards compatible with is gamecube.

It may be emulation, but how many of us have the original cart for Chrono Trigger? How about Tactics Ogre? How about Star Ocean? or Bomberman5?

You are correct by teh way.

Same here. I lost all my Super NES cartridge covers except for one which is kept tightly on my Chrono Trigger cart.

dotK said:
Nor would they want to bother with every game. Nobody is going to want to play older sports games or games that just flat out suck.

Show me someone who doesn't want to play Tecmo Bowl, or even Tecmo Super Bowl, again and I'll show you someone who doesn't appreciate the subtlety of the "automatic touchdown." :D

Back