Easy way to transfer from PC to PC?

RapidDog

Limp Gawd
Buying a new desktop that comes with Windows 10 64 bit, same as my old system.
I want to transfer everything from one to the other so that when I open up my wife and my desktops everything is the same.
I have several games with Steam, Epic etc, our Firefox browsers and passwords et all. Just hoping this won’t be a headaches.
I know this is remedial to most but I’d like it to be easy as possible even if I have to buy a program to do it.
Last time we had a real sh*tshow getting everything up to speed, including the wife’s iTunes stuff.
We also have MS Office.
Any advice appreciated...

As a note I do have our desktop files backed up on an external SSD, but not the entire system.

Pull the drive from the new one, and image the old drive into the new one inside of the old pc. Place new drive back into new computer.... It will update itself for the new hardware, and then you should be good to go.

W10 to W10 doesn't support Microsoft Easy Transfer, so if you don't feel like you have the time or expertise to move the files over yourself like GoldenTiger suggests, there is Microsoft recommended software for that specific task for $45. (I didn’t realize MS had killed off easy transfer until I went to get you the link.)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-easy-transfer-is-not-available-in-windows-10

Pull the drive from the new one, and image the old drive into the new one inside of the old pc. Place new drive back into new computer.... It will update itself for the new hardware, and then you should be good to go.

Except if the versions of Windows differ there will be licensing/activation issues. Furthermore, while Windows 10 is far better at detecting alternate hardware and adapting, such a scenario isn't guaranteed to be successful.

I failed to mention the old PC is a laptop. The new PC is a desktop.
I’d rather not remove hardware anyway as it’s a new build with a warranty.
So if I transfer desktop files that part is easy enough.
I’m more concerned about the program files and them being synched.
I can reload all the programs like Steam, Office, iTunes ( I hope!), etc. if I have to.
Was just hoping there might be some easier way..,

W10 to W10 doesn't support Microsoft Easy Transfer, so if you don't feel like you have the time or expertise to move the files over yourself like GoldenTiger suggests, there is Microsoft recommended software for that specific task for $45. (I didn’t realize MS had killed off easy transfer until I went to get you the link.)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-easy-transfer-is-not-available-in-windows-10
Looks like there's a free version.
https://web.laplink.com/trialsuccess/

I like what I see, think I'll give it a try when the new unit arrives. Thanks all.

I used LapLink PCMover to go from a desktop with removable SSD to a new laptop with a non-removable (nMVe?) SSD. Most applications and most settings transferred over automatically. I had to install my security suite (Comcast/Norton) manually and I also had to install MS Office manually. But overall, PCMover is worth the money.

Just to be clear, you are paying to move from a specific system to a specific system, so you can't "reuse" PCMover the next time you need to transfer a system.

For me, the most time consuming thing is usually related to installing/re-downloading games. You can copy over your Steam/Origin/Etc. folders from one drive to another and simply "verify" the files.
I just yank the old HD from my previous machine and hook it up to the new one temporarily.
Things like MS Office and iTunes tend to be mostly tied to accounts in similar ways. Just copy the old folders over and it'll usually detect everything once you sign in.

Why not just transfer over Ethernet? Might go a little slow over 1gbit but it's probably the simplest solution.

>>I’m more concerned about the program files and them being synched.
>>I can reload all the programs like Steam, Office, iTunes ( I hope!), etc. if I have to.
>>Was just hoping there might be some easier way..,

Don't try to use the laptop image on the new desktop.
Just install each app fresh as you need to, it's not that bad.

As was pointed out already, you will avoid messy license problems by re-installing each
app as well. Windows and MS Office especially you need to keep the licenses straight.

>>I’m more concerned about the program files and them being synched.
>>I can reload all the programs like Steam, Office, iTunes ( I hope!), etc. if I have to.
>>Was just hoping there might be some easier way..,

Don't try to use the laptop image on the new desktop.
Just install each app fresh as you need to, it's not that bad.

As was pointed out already, you will avoid messy license problems by re-installing each
app as well. Windows and MS Office especially you need to keep the licenses straight.

So your saying it’s worth installing fresh programs to avoid old corrupted files or other?
I did have concerns about all the nasty bits that may be lingering in the old drives...
I do use Crap Cleaned regularly.

Yes, you can avoid carrying over problems from the old system by installing apps fresh as well.

If you sign into your browser's it should carry over passwords. Steam you can move the folder. The rest reinstall. Or way easier as mentioned above clone the existing setup with something like mecurium reflect to a new hdd, one done pop it into new machine and work f RT on there.

I’ll probably do the drag and drop from my backup SSD I guess and reinstall the programs.
Office, well we’ll see...
As I mentioned, my laptop won’t take wont take the desktop HD...

I wouldn't bother cloning the system. This is a new build, so it should get the latest Windows 10 clean installed, latest drivers, and then go from there. I don't trust applications to decide what I need moved. If you are the user of the laptop, you know what's important. Use your network or an external drive to move the files over to the new system. Each data point may have a different process, but setting up the system right and moving data the proper way will ensure the new system runs efficiently.

With the new Windows that will already come installed by the way, I’ll still need to create the new log ins for both my wife’s desktop and mine I reckon if I go clean.
On my Steam, Ubisoft and Epic game files I will need to copy those over into the Program olders. That correct?

>>On my Steam, Ubisoft and Epic game files I will need to copy those over into the Program olders. That correct?

No.

Just copying those folders does not do an install and make the required registry changes and file copies to other folders.
You need to do a fresh install on all apps.

You might be able to do that with Steam, but it's just going to make you login and do a new install anyway.

I use AOMEI Backupper to move from PC to PC, even if there’s differing hardware.

Back