Easy way to synch users/passwords between Netware and Active Directory?

Bishop

Weaksauce
We have a Netware 3.12 box (for an old database app that is primarily used for time clock functionality and because some of the data has not been migrated out to our new database yet) and I need to get the users and passwords to synch between it and our Windows 2000 domain controllers. Is there an easy way to do this or am I stuck with having to manually keep up with users and passwords between our AD domain and the Netware box?

TIA,

Bishop

Here at work we are using Netware 5.1 and AD and password synchronization seems to be pretty easy. I am not the Netware admin so I don't have as much exp but I do have a fair amount. Normally when we create a new account we assign the same password to both AD and NDS. Once the account is created they can change their own password (ctrl alt del) and will change both passwords.

Could you maybe elaborate on exactly what you are trying to do?

Sorry I don't have direct help but when I was training I was told that Netware had some tool that would sync info from AD to the NW tree, I didn't get to use the program and even knew its name. I think searching around NW's site for a while should turn it up. Howerver due note that we were working with Netware 5.1

Here at work we are using Netware 5.1 and AD and password synchronization seems to be pretty easy. I am not the Netware admin so I don't have as much exp but I do have a fair amount. Normally when we create a new account we assign the same password to both AD and NDS. Once the account is created they can change their own password (ctrl alt del) and will change both passwords.

Could you maybe elaborate on exactly what you are trying to do?

I have users in our Active Directory domain with the same usernames and passwords as on the Netware 3.12 box. I am planning to enforce a 90 password policy and would like it so that when a user changes there password in the Active Directory domain it is changed on the Netware box as well.

Ah, yea we are trying to do the same thing here until we get rid of this horrid Netware. What version of the client are you using on the desktops?

We are using the Novell client that comes with the operating systems (Windows 98 and Windows XP Pro).

Hmm cause here we are using the newest one from Novell and if I go to change my password (ctrl alt del) I am able to change both the NDS and AD password at once. So when the user logs in and is forced to change their PW it would sync them both.

I'll download the latest client from Novell and take a look at it. Thanks for the help.

If AD is going to be your primary domain/directory database then Microsoft's MDSS - microsoft directory synchronization services might help. (free) not sure about compatibilty with NW 3.x bindery?

Novell also has Novell Account Management, DirXML, & several other products and tools (some free others $) to sync user accounts and passwords between the Micros~1 and Novell products...

If AD is going to be your primary domain/directory database then Microsoft's MDSS - microsoft directory synchronization services might help. (free) not sure about compatibilty with NW 3.x bindery?

Novell also has Novell Account Management, DirXML, & several other products and tools (some free others $) to sync user accounts and passwords between the Micros~1 and Novell products...

Thanks, I will look into those.

Back