Easy to get into single player game with high quality graphics?

fullvietFX

[H]ard|Gawd
So all I play now is DOTA but I'm trying to get into a single player game with my new build. I think the last game I actually finished was No On Lives Forever about a decade ago. I tried Morrowind but couldn't get into it. I want something where I can put in 30 minute sessions and still be able to make progress. I know I'm not being very specific but does anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited:
If you're into fast action and killing Nazis, the new Wolfenstein games are pretty good pick up and play games. Also the latest Doom is another solid choice.

But if you really want to do yourself a favour - check out The Witcher 3. Game's super long, but can be played in smaller chunks if you focus on sidequests and leave main story quests when you have some time.

I'll give another vote to Doom 2016. The new Wolfenstein games don't look nearly as good as Doom, but they are easy to pick up and play in 30 minute bites. Far Cry 5 is another looker that fits the bill. I would add the recently released Resident Evil 2 remake. If you like open world racing games I would recommend Forza Horizon 4.

Yeah, Far Cry 5 would be my recommendation, too. For that matter, 3 and 4 would also work. The Witcher 3 and Assassin's Creed Odyssey would work...until you take that 30-minute session into account. Both are like 150+ hour games that require multi-hour sessions to even make a dent.

All 3 of the most recent Tomb Raider titles fit. There are probably bundles available where you can get all 3 for under $50.

Yeah, Far Cry 5 would be my recommendation, too. For that matter, 3 and 4 would also work. The Witcher 3 and Assassin's Creed Odyssey would work...until you take that 30-minute session into account. Both are like 150+ hour games that require multi-hour sessions to even make a dent.

All 3 of the most recent Tomb Raider titles fit. There are probably bundles available where you can get all 3 for under $50.
I was thinking about recommending the recent Tomb Raider trilogy, but I can't play those games for 30 minutes or less at a time. I can easily sink 2 hours or more into them at a time.

Skyrim and Fallout.. both had my log full of missions and junk that I could pop in for half an hour or so at a time and pop out.

More linear? The new Wolfensteins, any of the bioshocks, Borderlands 2 and TPS, Saints Row 4, Sleeping Dogs, and Dishonored..

I like level or mission based games and less open world games for when I have a time constraint. I really enjoyed AC:O but I was playing that 3-4 hours a day for a month to get through it. Also, online only / non PAUSE games can be tough for me when I'm watching the kids. I'm playing Monster Hunter World right now, I can go do a hunt or two and get in and out and feel like I'm progressing in 30 mins to an hour - BUT, it's an online only game which kinda sucks when I'm in the middle of a fight and the kid starts crying or wants something.

Skyrim and Fallout.. both had my log full of missions and junk that I could pop in for half an hour or so at a time and pop out.

More linear? The new Wolfensteins, any of the bioshocks, Borderlands 2 and TPS, Saints Row 4, Sleeping Dogs, and Dishonored..
I don't think any of those games push the graphics department. OP looks like he built a new highend rig and is looking for eye candy.

Armenius - sorry, missed the implied 'built a new rig'. Bioshock Infinite does a heck of a number as do the skyrim/fallout mods for high rez.

Oh well.. I am still schlepping a GTX 950 so limited view on it. :)

The new Resident Evil games (RE7 and RE2HD) are both top-notch if you're into Horror games.

DOOM 2016 is probably the best shooter to come out in 5 years.

MGSV The Phantom Pain is definitely an acquired taste, but one could easily get lost in it with everything there is to do.

The Witcher 3 is great fun, but like others have said, you either love it or you hate it.

Deus Ex Mankind Divided is great, not as good as Human Revolution, but still a wonderful game.

DOOM is kinda scary guys I remember playing that on my Geforce 4 Ti-4200. I'll give this one a go though. I played a couple hours of the original Witcher it wasn't too bad. The Dragon Quests looks fun I enjoyed turn-based RPG's when I was younger but they're such a time pit. I feel like I have a very short attention span now.

Monster hunter world.
30min is good enough to get one monster down.

I wouldnt venture to deep story based rpg. 2~ 3 months later stories dont get too interesting no matter what.

XCOM 2 missions last about 30-45 minutes and it looks great along with being fun as hell.

XCom2 2017-09-10 20-47-27-83.png XCom2 2017-09-10 22-43-46-76.png XCom2 2016-02-13 16-50-48-55.png

DOOM is kinda scary guys I remember playing that on my Geforce 4 Ti-4200. I'll give this one a go though. I played a couple hours of the original Witcher it wasn't too bad. The Dragon Quests looks fun I enjoyed turn-based RPG's when I was younger but they're such a time pit. I feel like I have a very short attention span now.

DOOM 3 is scary, the others are more cathartic. Especially 2016.

XCOM 2 missions last about 30-45 minutes and it looks great along with being fun as hell.
It is great, easy to get into tho? Not so much.

I'd say:
Far Cry New Dawn
Ace Combat 7 (if you don't mind the controls)

While MD was great in it's presentation and storytelling, it was just a bit too short and a bit too confined for me to consider it better than HR. I really thought HR nailed the atmosphere of tech-noir, and if you combine them as a single game, I'd say they equal the original game.

SOM/SOW (shadow of mordor/war) are epic as oh hell IMO, they both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Skyrim ofc, the castlevania games for PC, Wolfenstein: TnO/ToB I have both are quite ok.

Bastion fun little game, I found def on tougher side, fun for hours
Brutal Legend heavy metal music themed with very solid fun game
Grey Goo RTS ala CnC or whatever, is a good game sadly dev did little to support it.
then ofc there are emulation solutions to play older games of which there are way and far too many to list ^.^

Doom 2016 - 4K DSR - NoHud = In The Zone
Skyrim tons of Mods to slow things down....
Little Half-life 1-2 (all episodes) for Nostalgia...

Reactions: N4CR
like this
So all I play now is DOTA but I'm trying to get into a single player game with my new build. I think the last game I actually finished was No On Lives Forever about a decade ago. I tried Morrowind but couldn't get into it. I want something where I can put in 30 minute sessions and still be able to make progress. I know I'm not being very specific but does anyone have any suggestions?

RE2: remake, you can play that very quickly and make good progress in 30 minute chunks.
Doom 2016

Dead Cells (awesome game)
Hollow Knight (although if you're no good at directions, your going to spend 30 minutes working out where you are)

They Are Billions
Slay the Spire

While MD was great in it's presentation and storytelling, it was just a bit too short and a bit too confined for me to consider it better than HR. I really thought HR nailed the atmosphere of tech-noir, and if you combine them as a single game, I'd say they equal the original game.
I'm not sure there was anything in HR that it did better than MD. Perhaps some visual elements. Sure MD was short and small in scope, but what it did it did better.

The Metro Redux games are short, good and look amazing. Also pretty cheap now days.

Assassins Creed Black Flag is also an amazing game with good graphics that can be had for the low paper.

Last edited:
Pathfinder Kingmaker
Shadows Awakening
Grim Dawn
Divinity Orignal Sin 1
Pillars of Eternity 2

Doom 2016 would work, as would any of the metros (unsure on the newest one, it does look good, though), The bioshock games could be ok for you. Also check into recent multiplayer shooters like fortnite or pubg, or even csgo. Those fit the bill for little investment, and you can jump in and out as you please.

Skyrim with hi res texture pack
FO3 with hi res texture pack
FONV with hi res texture pack
Doom 2016
Bioshock 1 & 2 Remastered (high res textures) and both were on sale over the weekend too for ~$9 at GOG

like this
Valkyria Chronicles, both of them. The Dragon Quests, both hero's and the main one.

How are those DQ Heroes games? I always saw mixed reviews and never picked them up but they looked somewhat interesting.

- Mass Effect Series (1 thru 3)
- Metro Redux series
- Call of Duty
- Half-Life 2 Series
- Portal 1 and 2
- Mirror's Edge (the original, not the sequel)
- Overload (the sequel to Descent 3)
- Tomb Raider and Rise of the TR but not Shadow of the TR which has 5 minute cut scenes in it lol)
- Subnautica
- Cogs
- Just Cause 2
- The Longest Journey (I didn't play it but many love it)
- Machinarium
- Puddle
- The Room 1 and 2
- The Stanley Parable
- The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
- Twin Sector
- Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X., 2
- EA's Chuck Yeager's Air Combat ... "Check Six" :LOL: if your hardware/OS will run it

Last edited:
DOOM 3 is scary, the others are more cathartic. Especially 2016.

Yar, if anything, the latest DooM is a reversal from DooM 3 - you're the boogie-man that demons check under their beds before they go to bed at night.

Kinda jealous that OP hasn't played a singleplayer game since NOLF - he's going to be in for a treat.

Yes Forgot
F.E.A.R 1 & 2
Portal 1 & 2
My Steam list is so long i forget what i have anymore...

like this
Back