Easy Question for you Guru's--XP & Vista on same hardrive

Yz388

Limp Gawd
Is this possible? To have both Winxp and WinVista on the same harddrive? I attempted to do so by installing xp on a seperate partition, but xp now only boots up. Vista was default.

Is there a setting where I can make it so i choose what operating system i want to boot up in the beggining, or did i do this all wrong?

Yes it's possible, you just installed your os's backwards. The legacy (older) os must be installed first in order for Vista's bootloader to see the older os and give you the boot menu.

Just start over, install XP and then Vista and your good to go.

I have heard that VistaBootPro can fix the bootloader after installing in the order you did, but I have never used it myself, so I don't know if it works or not....might want to give it a try first.

Yeah, it sounds like your only error was the order of the installs. You were correct in using separate partitions.

ok, so by reversing the order, it will ask me when it boots up what os i want to boot?

Thanks guys, fast response as always. apprechiate it

ok, so by reversing the order, it will ask me when it boots up what os i want to boot?

Thanks guys, fast response as always. apprechiate it

Correct, when you boot you'll be given a choice of Windows Vista or Earlier Version of Microsoft Windows... or something like that.

That app worked great...gave me the option that you said it would....very simple.

Thanks all.

The exact way you have them listed is the order to do a triple boot.

Back