Easy place to get ringtones?

AltTabbins

Fully [H]
Where do you guys get ringtones? I used to to really like phone zoo and zedge when phone zoo went away. Zedge has been pretty good until the last little bit when a lot of the ring tones disappeared.

Anyone know of a good, easy place to just search and grab ringtones?

I use the same one I've used for nearly a decade now: the AT&T Merlin telephone system ring tone. It was most noticeably featured on the TV show "24" when it was on the air, every freakin' time a phone rang in the CTU HQ it was that ring tone so, it just kinda stuck with me over the years and I get some pretty odd stares when it goes off. A lot of us older folk nowadays heard that constantly in the 80s and early 90s in "cubicle farms" so it's somewhat ingrained in our memories now and causes almost a knee jerk reaction when it plays. I even had one guy tell me one time it brought back memories of when he was in a stock brokerage in the 80s about the time "Wall Street" came out.

As for finding new ones, I can't think of any off the top of my head, I have some people I know that just end up creating their own more than anything else acquired from some site full of 'em but I'm sure those types of places exist.

What irks me is when some site tries to charge people money for 'em which is just kinda mucked up in my opinion. A lot of the sites that I've encountered all end up having the same damned ring tones as the others so either they're all working together or one of them has ring tones that the other sites are ripping off (more likely the case).

I'm a fan of classic gaming sounds and music. Not the common Mario and Zelda tones either. I've sound themed my phone a few times where every tone or notification would be from a certain game. A couple of my favorites were excite bike, caveman games, and smash tv from the arcade. It's really hard to find anything like that anymore. Phone zoo used to have tons of tones for pretty much any game you could think of since they were uploaded by users.

SMASH TV... oh the memories of that one and yeah, that would be pretty cool to have a bunch of older game sound effects in use. One of my all-time fave samples was from the vector powered graphics game "Star Trek" long ago. The Putt-Putt Golf and Games in my area had the sit down model you'd climb inside and after inserting the tokens (they used tokens, not quarters, had a member's club with 6 for a buck) and pressing Start you'd be greated with this super loud and bass-heavy digitized voice saying "WELCOME ABOARD, CAPTAIN..." :D

BIIIIIIIGGGGGGGG MONEY... BIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGG PRIZES. Those were some damned good times in my youth. TOOTTTAAAAALLLL CARNAGE!!!

I have used ringdroid for ages. simple, custom, unique ringtones from my mp3 collection

Zedge seems to find pretty much any tone I can think of.

I use the same one I've used for nearly a decade now: the AT&T Merlin telephone system ring tone. It was most noticeably featured on the TV show "24" when it was on the air, every freakin' time a phone rang in the CTU HQ it was that ring tone so, it just kinda stuck with me over the years and I get some pretty odd stares when it goes off. A lot of us older folk nowadays heard that constantly in the 80s and early 90s in "cubicle farms" so it's somewhat ingrained in our memories now and causes almost a knee jerk reaction when it plays. I even had one guy tell me one time it brought back memories of when he was in a stock brokerage in the 80s about the time "Wall Street" came out.

As for finding new ones, I can't think of any off the top of my head, I have some people I know that just end up creating their own more than anything else acquired from some site full of 'em but I'm sure those types of places exist.

What irks me is when some site tries to charge people money for 'em which is just kinda mucked up in my opinion. A lot of the sites that I've encountered all end up having the same damned ring tones as the others so either they're all working together or one of them has ring tones that the other sites are ripping off (more likely the case).

I used to work for a company in tech support a million years ago that had Merlin phones.
One of the techs there was a older guy who, when he got super busy and stress would start freaking out over the Merlin phone ringing sound. I remember hearing him ranting to the customer once how he was, "So busy I got too many calls and this goddamned Merlin phone keeps ringing!!!!"

He had a slight lisp that made it all worthwhile. I will never forget it. He would just go psychotic.

Now I want that ringtone. As horrible as it is I think it would be awesome. Can you get the MP3 to me?

I make my own by literally just searching online for .wav's.
Right now, all my sounds are MGS related. No site online (at least that I found) had what I wanted. Digging got me the original sound files and with a little editing I created all the tones I wanted.

Now things get tricky if you don't know what you want, but I would probably do the same process again (of just making something myself). Otherwise, I'd say that Apple's stock tones are 'sufficient'. I really just did it to be unique and because it was fun. Not because it was necessary or that big of a deal to me.

Back