Easily Exploited Netgear Router Flaw Discovered

Because they barely even sell dedicated WAPs anymore and when they do it's not like you get a discount for not having the router hardware inside. The vast majority of the cost for these devices is for the wireless functionality. I get a better router using PFsense on old hardware dug out of my closet.

I dunno. I have a few dedicated WAPs. They were all a lot less than $200. I know many people who do this. Personally here using Unifi. I like the management interface, which to me is worth quite a bit. They send their logs to a syslog server on my home automation system so I can factor in which devices are connected to which AP when running tasks. Not trying to shit on you. I was just generally curious.

And they couldn't be looking at those routers and saying to themselves that they are yesterdays technology, already surpassed by what you paid $200 for, and they intend to replace in their product line for $75 ?

Good try. All they do is replace that $200 router with a newer $200 router that does the same thing, but might have more wifi antennas sticking off it or a faster processor. The $75 routers never get the same features, cause then they have no reason to sell you the new $200 router.

Why does anything think that if this company doesn't see a good reason to "fix" an existing product that releasing a vulnerability, (which exists whether widely known or not), will somehow force the company to do so?

They are not going to fix something that isn't still being sold or is soon to be replaced. That's just throwing money away. If they did anything at all, they might offer owners of the old routers a discount on the new ones.

It is still being sold and will probably continue to be sold for a while. Also fixing the vunerability is paramount, seeing as it's a firmware they use on a huge amount of routers and probably will be used on newer routers that will replace the current ones. Why? Cause why build a new firmware if the current one works, it'd be just throwing money away.

This is stupid thinking. The only thing this will accomplish is increasing the risk for the owners of the products and that is it. It will not compel the company to close the risk.

Actually, the one thinking stupid is you, cause guess what has happened? Netgear has release a emergency firmware fix and will get a production one out soon.

Seems like this must only affect some of the more recent firmware updates.

I've been running V1.0.3.80_1.1.38 on my R7000, and it's not vulnerable to the security issue described.

Seems like this must only affect some of the more recent firmware updates.

I've been running V1.0.3.80_1.1.38 on my R7000, and it's not vulnerable to the security issue described.

I have no idea if I'm vunerable or not and haven't checked, since my setup doesn't allow the vunerability to be used. Once I find out if I can get rid of the crappy ISP modem/router, then I'll get the latest firmware.

Back