Easiest way to transfer Windows SBS 2011 to new hardware?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by IceDigger, Jul 1, 2011.

1. IceDigger

IceDigger [H]ardForum Junkie

Is the bare metal backup the easiest way to transfer it to another computer?

2. nessus

nessus 2[H]4U

I've had no issues migrating Windows 2008 Server and 2008 R2 server from one machine to another if your are dealing with typical consumer hardware and aren't trying to change boot device types by just plugging the drives into the other machine.

I've had installs I've moved from AMD to Intel and back with no issues.

Ususally its just boot once or twice to detect all the changes hardware, re-activate, and go on your way. If you are booting from something attached to a Perc controller or something like that, you'd have to move the controller from the old machine to the new one. But if you are just using on-board SATA, just make sure the new board is configured for the same mode "IDE" or "AHCI" as the old board and go on your way.

Just make sure the boot drive is first in the boot order of any hard drives listed on the new machine.

3. Maverick0984

Maverick0984 Limp Gawd

Yeah with newer OS's Server 2k8, Win 7, etc, alot of the time you are able to just move the harddrives to new hardware. This wasn't really possible in the past with the way drivers were handled in windows. Thank your lucky stars you didn't install SBS 2k3 instead.