Not eyefinity/surround

I own a 4870.

Received a u2311h today.

Previous setup:
DVI out to 20" dell
DVI-HDMI to HDTV in other room

Desired setup:
Primary and secondary displays on dell monintors
+use this comp as "htpc" to HDTV in other room.

What are my options?

what hardware do you have? extra PCIe slot?

4870 is similar to the 5770, and you can get a decent 5770(with DVI, HDMI, DP) for around $150 or less... single card solution for your problem

or get a secondary card... something cheap and basic

or wait for the 6xxx series to come out... october/nov

With the 6xxx series, will I be able to output 3 separate desktops or will the HDTV operate as a clone?

With the 6xxx series, will I be able to output 3 separate desktops or will the HDTV operate as a clone?

It would be silly for AMD to take a step back and go from a single card driving 3 to 6 monitors to a single card only being able to drive 2 again, so I would bet on the 6xxx series also being able to drive 3 monitors. It *might* even do it without the DP requirement of the 5xxx series, who knows. Although you have a DP monitor, so that probably doesn't matter for you.

I have a 4890 2GB VaporX model that has 2DVI and one HDMI, I'd look for something like that, the card is cheap to find used, generally under 150.

Or buy a new 5xxx version and a DP to HDMI adapter:D

I have a 4890 2GB VaporX model that has 2DVI and one HDMI, I'd look for something like that, the card is cheap to find used, generally under 150.

You can only use 2 of those outputs at once, though.

Or buy a new 5xxx version and a DP to HDMI adapter:D

His U2311h has DP, he doesn't need any adapters.

Back