Easiest way to copy XP boot CD?

Slider19

Gawd
I have a XP Pro SP1 slipstreamed bootable CD from work and I wanted to make a copy of it that is also bootable.

What's the easiest way?

Just do a 1:1 copy on nero or whatever cd burning util you have, no problems at

btw, you may want to slipstream that disk to SP2..get autostreamer!

oldmx

A copy from nero gets the boot image on as well?

Didn't know that. Also, can a a XP boot CD be copied to a DVD and made bootable?

thanks

uuummm... I've never personally tried cd to dvd copy but it's possible... I would personally rip it to ISO or to your PC and just use cdimage and a dvd boot file to create the ISO. That's what I did when my unattended installation became a tad too large for an actual CD (heh... 1.4GB I think at last check, maybe less as I removed a bunch of unneeded components).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.....

Doesn't the dvd drive need to have drivers installed to actually read the dvd??

If you tried to boot off of a dvd, I'm pretty sure it would be unreadable by even a dvd drive, since the windows based drivers aren't installed. Likely your drive wouldn't even recognize it as anything more than an unrecognizable disk with nothing on it. It'd be like trying to get a cd-rom drive to read a dvd, ya know?

At least, that's the way I understand things..... :)

Booting off a DVD requires no drivers per say. If you're comp can boot from CD from a DVD drive, then it can boot from a DVD. The DVD drive is what really makes the difference between a data CD and a data DVD. Drivers aren't needed to boot from a DVD.

Screwz Luse said:
Booting off a DVD requires no drivers per say. If you're comp can boot from CD from a DVD drive, then it can boot from a DVD. The DVD drive is what really makes the difference between a data CD and a data DVD. Drivers aren't needed to boot from a DVD.

Correct!

I just installed a copy of XP on my new machine from the ALL WINDOWS DVD (Disk2) and it booted with no problem.

Nivram said:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.....

Doesn't the dvd drive need to have drivers installed to actually read the dvd??

If you tried to boot off of a dvd, I'm pretty sure it would be unreadable by even a dvd drive, since the windows based drivers aren't installed. Likely your drive wouldn't even recognize it as anything more than an unrecognizable disk with nothing on it. It'd be like trying to get a cd-rom drive to read a dvd, ya know?

At least, that's the way I understand things..... :)
I hope someone told you this, and it wasn't your own idea. Either that, or it's a theory clearly untested.

I've tried taking an .iso of my XP CD and burning it to a DVD with my apps and drivers in folders, and it was readable inside of Windows, but not bootable anymore.

uuummmm... I don't recall but when creating a bootable dvd, the boot sector file used for booting from a CD is different. I use a different boot file, at least, when creating a Windows CD and a Windows DVD.

Screwz Luse said:
uuummmm... I don't recall but when creating a bootable dvd, the boot sector file used for booting from a CD is different. I use a different boot file, at least, when creating a Windows CD and a Windows DVD.
I'm guessing the boot file for a Windows DVD isn't something that can be easily downloaded?

uuummm... I don't really know how I even got it. I'll send it to you, though (check your PMs). As for my cdimage line, it looks like the following:
Code:
CDIMAGE.EXE -lAIODVD -t08/23/2001,09:00:00 -bD:\Projects\AIO-DVD\CDSH\loader.bin -h -j1 -o -m D:\Projects\AIO-DVD D:\AIO-DVD.iso

Just replace the -b section to the location of the boot fie and such.

Back