Ease my paranoia

CRXican

[H]ard|Gawd
First of all let me start by saying I'm very picky and particualr about the condition of anything I own.

I bought a used Maze 4 GPU block and while the bottom is nice and shiny, there is about a one inch scratch that runs down the middle of the block. It's not all that deep but it's a little more than a light surface scratch. Will this have any effect on temps or will AS5 take care of it? Should I just buy a brand new one from DD considering they aren't all that expensive?

Close your eyes and lightly run your fingernail across the surface. Can you feel the scratch? If so, I suppose it's a judgement call, but if it's not a big financial stretch I think I'd just get another.

Or, contact the person you bought it from and ask them about their experience with it. Is that a possibility?

Before you whip out your card to get a new Maze4GPU, I suggest you try lapping the base of the block. The block has a thick base so don't worry about accidently sanding all the way through it easily.

One scratch? Work out the percentage of surface area that translates into, and-- even assuming zero conduction from that scratch, the net effect on temperatures.

Stop worrying.

One real scratch yes. I did the fingernail thing and did not feel it but I'll try it again. Yes I can contact the buyer, he's from the fourms and is a good seller. Like I said I'm picky and it's likely this scratch was insignificant to him.

If it is insignificant to him, and you couldn't feel it with your fingernail, I'd say add it to your loop and don't worry about it. And if you just can't deal with the scratch, but a new one and sell the old one to me :D.

If you cant feel it with your fingernail it should be fine. If you really want to get some sandpaper and lap the bottom of the block like suggested above. Make sure you use something flat to sand it with though.

The base and your CPU being flat is 1000 times more important than a scratch that will fill in with AS anyway.

dude, its been almost a month since you recieved that block from me.

when i shipped it to you, it was not scratched.

BioPort said:
dude, its been almost a month since you recieved that block...
Threads always go downhill once someone breaks out the "D" word... :(

masher said:
Threads always go downhill once someone breaks out the "D" word... :(
oh noes

Notice how I didn't accuse anyone? Could have been scratched during shipping, who knows? Doesn't matter at this point.

im not saying that you are accusing my of anything. i just wish you would have told me about this weeks ago.

BioPort said:
im not saying that you are accusing my of anything. i just wish you would have told me about this weeks ago.
why, what could you do about it? a scratch is a scratch

that scratch should be no biggie, if the artic silver 5 instructions say the entire surface area of the chip doesnt need to be covered, what affects would .0000001% of the block have on temps :p but i think i understand where ur coming from im extremely anal when it comes to my things as well :)

scratches can always be lapped out, douges on the other and = time to buy a new block, I would definately not purchase a new block...

It's almost as bad as throwing in a nazi referance in a usenet group... see godwins law.

As for the block... put it on, see how it works. More than likely it's not going to affect the tempuratures, let alone cause your ocmputer to go up in flames. And, if its attached to the card... how can you see the scratch? :D

Back