EA’s hold over Star Wars games ends with Ubisoft’s open-world announcement

But the same can be said for Ubisoft. At least EA is trying to make a difference, with ironically their two big departures being Star Wars games. Their recent efforts have been a nice change in the right direction.

Ubisoft meanwhile just added microtransactions into their newest SP game, AC Valhalla. Ubisoft has shown zero interest in changing course. So I still stand by what I said earlier.

Ha! Accidents don't make a pattern, surpised to see so many EA supporters here, then again maybe not.

They had decades to do anything with the IP and let it languish, then respawn got a green light and made a decent game. Squadrons is mediocer elevated by lack of product in the segment. I don't share your optimizim.

If EA can be fired, so can Ubi. Renewed focus on star wars games from disney is a good thing, firing ea is a good thing, hiring Ubi is meh but Ubi is undergoing a management shakeup and the board is pressing for a different direction, which is way more than anything that has happened at EA.

Lets agree to disagree, you'll never ever get me to get behind EA in anyform. They've made shit since the 90's, destory IPs, focus on sports games, accidentally release a good title once to twice a decade which is usually the dying gasp of whatever studio they just bought, nothing will change with EA, people just have very short memories.

Last edited:
As long as they stick to the Far Cry model instead of what the Assassin's Creed model has become. I didn't mind Odyssey much, But Valhalla runs (glitches) worse, looks about the same, and you're stuck as a short "viking" with a lisp that's always talking about his feelings and trying to have relations with everything that moves.

"This random hunter girl?" *BOINK*
"Some oversized baker dude with PTSD?" *BOINK*
"My Brother's wife?" *BOINK*

And those are just the people within 30 meters of your bed.

The problem UBI can't even prop up their own proprietary franchises unless it's Rainbow Six Seige.

Far Cry 6

Ghost Recon Breakpoint

Watch Dogs Legion

AC Valhalla

All Lackluster at best good games but what UBI really should do is get back on Steam =)
Star Wars fans are about 50 years old by now so the DIsney movies is still adding to the fan base.

They've made shit since the 90's, destory IPs, focus on sports games, accidentally release a good title once to twice a decade which is usually the dying gasp of whatever studio they just bought, nothing will change with EA, people just have very short memories.

You just described every major publisher/developer though. If you go by those standards, I can't think of a single one that is "good".

If they said this would all be done in house I would've been okay. But farming out to Ubisoft? I can't think of anyone worse. Just look at what Rainbow Six & Ghost Recon have become if you want to look at destroyed IPs. Ubisoft talks big about making changes but then adds in micro transactions and is pushing even heavier SJW nonsense in their games. When they say management change up that is what they are referring to. Ubisoft is going to tune those things up, not down. One only has to look at one of the major reasons for their recent shake up to see why this is coming.

You just described every major publisher/developer though. If you go by those standards, I can't think of a single one that is "good".

If they said this would all be done in house I would've been okay. But farming out to Ubisoft? I can't think of anyone worse. Just look at what Rainbow Six & Ghost Recon have become if you want to look at destroyed IPs. Ubisoft talks big about making changes but then adds in micro transactions and is pushing even heavier SJW nonsense in their games. When they say management change up that is what they are referring to. Ubisoft is going to tune those things up, not down. One only has to look at one of the major reasons for their recent shake up to see why this is coming.

Ubi has a better track record than EA by far, sounds like you just don't like Ubi games.

Origin and Oddessy are good games, WD2 was great, Farcry 5 was fair (on par with squadrons). Valhalla is ok, and I hear good things about that BoTW clone. Rainbow Six Siege is amazing, and the old style of rainbow six has way to small an audience, that style of game is indie dev territory now (I am one of that audience).

Ubi actually releases titles, EA cancels almost everything that isn't Battlefield or Fifa/Madden. EA literally cannot make a good game except by accident, so why do you want it left with EA?

EA is by far the worst publisher, only direct competition they have for that title is Activision.

I cannot believe someone is actually arguing that EA isn't the prime destroyer of IP, they lead the way on that and loot boxes, others follow.

It isn't about 'good' its the FACT that EA is the worst, something you seem to fail to grasp.

They can still make star wars games, the fact that the IP is now not restricted is a good thing, I'm sorry you feel Ubi is worse, but this change is the best thing that has happened to Star Wars gaming since LucasArts.

Last edited:
Ubisoft may be guilty of cookie-cutter games, particularly if you look at AC/Ghost Recon being the same game....one with guns, one with melee...(Far Cry being those same games but First Person, perhaps..).....but these are also the only games I've actually worked my way through for tens of hours, both properties, after they got "patched into a workable state".....

And again, if this is Massive, they have MMO chops.....have hope.

Ubi has a better track record than EA by far...

Going by your own criteria, no.

Origin and Oddessy are good games...

Yes, the single player game that features micro transactions with real money to help progress the obscene built in grind. You could've have chosen a worse game to make your case that Ubisoft is a good developer/publisher. It is one of the worst examples of micro transactions in AAA game history. I can't take complaints about Battlefront 2's paid micro transactions seriously if someone puts Odyssey up as an example of a good game. Full price single player games build around paid micro transactions like Odyssey should be illegal, IMO.

WD2 was great, Farcry 5 was fair (on par with squadrons).

WD2 was generic. First game was better although not superb. FC5 was a huge step back from 3/4. Crappy and designed around co-op (examples, spoken dialogue in the game would prefer to multiple people even if playing offline). New Dawn brought Ubisoft's classic crappy grind into the mix. Which is why Ubisoft sucks, they litterally can't make something different even if they tried.

Rainbow Six Siege is amazing, and the old style of rainbow six has way to small an audience, that style of game is indie dev territory now (I am one of that audience).

Siege is trash. And you talk about EA trashing IPs but for some reason give Ubisoft a pass? I'm not sure I understand your logic here.

Ubi actually releases titles...

And as mentioned, they're practically all the same. Even with Break Point they added more crafting nonsense and crap in it from Assassin's Creed. Which is my point and why I am not thrilled about Ubisoft getting the rights to a Star Wars game. Do we really need another reiteration of the same damn game, filled with micro transactions?

I'm not a huge EA fan, but at least they've tried and delivered making some SP games without micro transactions as of late. Ubisoft on the other hand has jumped in head first. It isn't like they just did this with one of their recent AAA games.

I'm not the only one who notices that Ubisoft designs some of their SP games around grinding to nudge people towards buying boosters with real money:

Ubisoft caught a lot of flak for a time-saving microtransaction in Assassin's Creed Odyssey that permanently increased your XP rate by 50 percent. The problem is that a lot of people felt as though Odyssey's grind was specifically tailored to encourage the purchase of the XP-booster.
I cannot believe someone is actually arguing that EA isn't the prime destroyer of IP, they lead the way on that and loot boxes, others follow.

Does Rainbow Six or Ghost Recon ring a bell? Rainbow Six Vegas 1/2 were more Call of Duty than Call of Duty itself. I'm sure Splinter Cell is next on the chopping block once Ubisoft figures out how they can add crafting, grinding an open world and boosters to it. Ubisoft regular drags IPs through the mud and destroys them. They're probably the worst offender still around.

I can't see how someone thinks Ubisoft will do a good job with a Star Wars game when they only have 1 formula applied to their entire lineup of games from the past 5 or so years, and have zero desire to curb their insane level of micro transaction monetization.

You will never convince me of your incorrect opinion, so I'm done.

I love how dense you are though, you do realize this isn't an exclusive deal like EA had (right?!), EA can still turn out that garbage you love (they won't because their EA), and now other developers can get in on the Star Wars IP.

There is a lot of debate over which turd is stinkier. More variety is a good precedent. The more we stop have these games locked to exclusive shops the greater the chance that we have some cherished 3rd dev making an awesome hit.

Given the direction Disney keeps taking Star Wars, I am pretty sure it doesn't matter who makes the games at this point if they are inclined with the films, they are going to suck.

I like ubisoft games. So I'm more likely to buy it. I've also never paid a dime extra to beat them either.
That's me too.

I know they aren't everyone's cup of tea, but I find I like the formula. I LIKE exploring nooks and crannies of amazing virtual worlds (and Ubi has really incredible world artists). As odd as it might sound, the game mechanics aren't really the most important thing to me. I like the story, the visuals, the ride.

Looking forward to what they do.

Going by your own criteria, no.

Yes, the single player game that features micro transactions with real money to help progress the obscene built in grind. You could've have chosen a worse game to make your case that Ubisoft is a good developer/publisher. It is one of the worst examples of micro transactions in AAA game history. I can't take complaints about Battlefront 2's paid micro transactions seriously if someone puts Odyssey up as an example of a good game. Full price single player games build around paid micro transactions like Odyssey should be illegal, IMO.

WD2 was generic. First game was better although not superb. FC5 was a huge step back from 3/4. Crappy and designed around co-op (examples, spoken dialogue in the game would prefer to multiple people even if playing offline). New Dawn brought Ubisoft's classic crappy grind into the mix. Which is why Ubisoft sucks, they litterally can't make something different even if they tried.

Siege is trash. And you talk about EA trashing IPs but for some reason give Ubisoft a pass? I'm not sure I understand your logic here.

And as mentioned, they're practically all the same. Even with Break Point they added more crafting nonsense and crap in it from Assassin's Creed. Which is my point and why I am not thrilled about Ubisoft getting the rights to a Star Wars game. Do we really need another reiteration of the same damn game, filled with micro transactions?

I'm not a huge EA fan, but at least they've tried and delivered making some SP games without micro transactions as of late. Ubisoft on the other hand has jumped in head first. It isn't like they just did this with one of their recent AAA games.

I'm not the only one who notices that Ubisoft designs some of their SP games around grinding to nudge people towards buying boosters with real money:

Does Rainbow Six or Ghost Recon ring a bell? Rainbow Six Vegas 1/2 were more Call of Duty than Call of Duty itself. I'm sure Splinter Cell is next on the chopping block once Ubisoft figures out how they can add crafting, grinding an open world and boosters to it. Ubisoft regular drags IPs through the mud and destroys them. They're probably the worst offender still around.

I can't see how someone thinks Ubisoft will do a good job with a Star Wars game when they only have 1 formula applied to their entire lineup of games from the past 5 or so years, and have zero desire to curb their insane level of micro transaction monetization.
You will never convince me of your incorrect opinion, so I'm done.

I love how dense you are though, you do realize this isn't an exclusive deal like EA had (right?!), EA can still turn out that garbage you love (they won't because their EA), and now other developers can get in on the Star Wars IP.

Lets just agree that EA and Ubi are equally shit companies and that the last good Star Wars game was Republic Commando.

/end thread.

Lets just agree that EA and Ubi are equally shit companies and that the last good Star Wars game was Republic Commando.

/end thread.

They are both pretty crappy. But I'll give EA the nod because they have proven they have changed course, even if temporarily. Ubisoft, I'll believe it when I see it.

All that aside, I'm tired of every Ubisoft feeling the same. Even if you went back 8-10 years ago Assassin's Creed was still Ubisoft's bread & butter but they had games that were notably different. Even if not perfect, they had HAWX 1/2 and Splinter Cell Blacklist. Since then everything else has moved onto the same basic formula.

Given the direction Disney keeps taking Star Wars, I am pretty sure it doesn't matter who makes the games at this point if they are inclined with the films, they are going to suck.

If that lunatic 3rd wave feminist Kathleen Kennedy has anything to do with these games or her "writing group",more like propaganda group,I wont touch any of these titles with a ten foot pole.

Back