Earth's Black Box Climate Warning Box for Future Generations to Study.

Comixbooks

Fully [H]
211206192226-earth-black-box-climate-change-exlarge-169.jpg

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/07/world/earth-black-box-climate-change/index.html

Every time new climate research is published, news headlines are posted or tweets are shared, a giant steel box perched on a granite plain in the Australian state of Tasmania will be recording it all. With its thick steel walls, battery storage and solar panels, the developers of "Earth's Black Box" say the city bus-sized structure will be indestructible to the climate crisis itself and is meant to outlive humans.Eventually, its creators hope, the black box will tell future civilizations how humankind created the climate crisis, and how we failed or succeeded to address it.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/07/world/earth-black-box-climate-change/index.htm

Maybe they should stick a few Nvidia cards in there to show what we were up against with Crypto Mining.
Or a Tesla. Or a chunk of coal.
My country has pretty much forfeited its future by not harnessing the uptick in the economy we've had since 2016 to invest in nuclear power.

They actually started building yet another fucking coal plant and didn't even finish it. Was scrapped not long ago.
It's too late now, as these are massive undertakings and we're in for a hyperinflation and possibly war.

We're doomed here in Poland and it pains me to know I'll be watching this trainwreck in slow motion, front and center seats.

Yeah, mining crypto eats a massive amount of power.
But it's not like we had a surplus of clean power before that started. It was borrowed time for a while now.

Probably should have used a thermocouple or some other device that creates voltage from a temperature delta instead of solar panels to power it, but cool idea none the less.

I think I will outlive the solar panels on that thing.
Was going to say. How is it supposed to outlive humanity if your average solar panel is only good for 25 years? The batteries that store the excess power are also not going to last forever. Unless they truly believe the world will become uninhabitable by 2050 or whatever year they've decided on this time.

Was going to say. How is it supposed to outlive humanity if your average solar panel is only good for 25 years? The batteries that store the excess power are also not going to last forever. Unless they truly believe the world will become uninhabitable by 2050 or whatever year they've decided on this time.
Yeah, I mean coastal cities underwater by 2000. Didn't you notice how New York is underwater as per the predictions?

Yeah, I mean coastal cities underwater by 2000. Didn't you notice how New York is underwater as per the predictions?
The best part of that is you always only see hysterical pictures of, say, NYC under 20-40' of water, but the actual average annual increase in ocean height is something like 1.4mm in the 20th century.

The best part of that is you always only see hysterical pictures of, say, NYC under 20-40' of water, but the actual average annual increase in ocean height is something like 1.4mm in the 20th century.
Another common tactic I have seen is to show a low tide pic from 1900 then a high tide from current day and go "See? We're drowning here!" :rolleyes:

1.7mm per year in the 20th.

https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/sltrends/sltrends.html

The polar caps were supposed to be completely melted 7 years ago according to Al Gore, resulting in a 20-foot sea level rise.

People need extreme examples to even care though. Preventative maintenance is foreign concept to many in any aspect of life. The pics they use are funny though

My parents threw years of national geographic. I wish they had kept them so I could take a picture and go, we are definitely here now. :eek: lol

climate change is fake news. i know that because i've heard other people say the same things and come up with some very convincing arguments, and it makes me feel good to accept that reality rather than some other one that might challenge my existing beliefs!

beware of Big Solar and Big Wind!

People need extreme examples to even care though. Preventative maintenance is foreign concept to many in any aspect of life. The pics they use are funny though
Problem is if you give unrealistic expectations often enough, people begin to realize that they're being fed a load of hogwash. Not that it's not based on reality, but if you stuck with the facts from the beginning and used realistic numbers in your predictions there would probably be at least the same number of people who believe you, and maybe more who supports your work and research. (Rhetorical "you," not you specifically. Talking about climate scientists, here)

Problem is if you give unrealistic expectations often enough, people begin to realize that they're being fed a load of hogwash. Not that it's not based on reality, but if you stuck with the facts from the beginning and used realistic numbers in your predictions there would probably be at least the same number of people who believe you, and maybe more who supports your work and research. (Rhetorical "you," not you specifically. Talking about climate scientists, here)
that's right. the people are waking up! also you really need to put "climate scientists" in quotes!

My parents threw years of national geographic. I wish they had kept them so I could take a picture and go, we are definitely here now. :eek: lol
Same! Mine had every issue since 1974, and sold it at an estate sale a few years back without telling me. Probably 15 linear feet of NGs.

climate change is fake news. i know that because i've heard other people say the same things and come up with some very convincing arguments, and it makes me feel good to accept that reality rather than some other one that might challenge my existing beliefs!

beware of Big Solar and Big Wind!
You know that it's possible to to support reducing pollution AND see AGW as the hogwash it is, right? I mean, it's not like a cyclical climate predates our entire existence as a species. Or that this is the warmest it's EVER BEEN on this planet! Or that the rate of change is UNPRECIDENTED in this planet's history!!
Oh wait, neither of those are true. Never mind.
What's the correct temp for this planet? I can never get anyone to give me an answer on that one.

You know that it's possible to to support reducing pollution AND see AGW as the hogwash it is, right? I mean, it's not like a cyclical climate predates our entire existence as a species. Or that this is the warmest it's EVER BEEN on this planet! Or that the rate of change is UNPRECIDENTED in this planet's history!!
What's the correct temp for this planet? I can never get anyone to give me an answer on that one.
excuse me, you're attacking me for agreeing with your position? We the People need to wake up from this hogwash (great term to describe it btw!) political agenda that these so-called "scientists" are trying to push on us! all they're trying to do is suckle on that grant money teat from the gov't!

Agreed. Could we do things better? Of course and we should but also do it in ways that make sense and it needs incentivized. People water their grass during droughts so that shows how much some care even during short term problems.

Pushing electric cars? Yes that reduces localized pollution but when you are looking at making global efforts you have to look at the net footprint for something like that first.

And building a doomsday vault that is meant to outlast humans just makes me have an "OH FFS" face

Ill end my rant with HOW DARE YOU! lol

When people talk about the "warmest its ever been," I think it's more accurate to say that it's the warmer than it's ever been within the maybe 50 years. Before then, who knows what kind of accurate record keeping about temperatures, etc. was actually taking place.

I had a subscription to NatGeo for a couple of decades, but eventually I found myself rolling my eyes too much at the "stories" they kept telling. 3D Mars was a pretty cool issue though.

I had a subscription to NatGeo for a couple of decades, but eventually I found myself rolling my eyes too much at the "stories" they kept telling. 3D Mars was a pretty cool issue though.
It was good up until around the mid-80s, I'd say.

Maybe they should stick a few Nvidia cards in there to show what we were up against with Crypto Mining.
That would explain a lot. And tell future generations or Aliens that we valued profit and self gratification over everything else.

Put Facebook's logo in it and mark it "The beginning of the end"

That would explain a lot. And tell future generations or Aliens that we valued profit and self gratification over everything else.

Put Facebook's logo in it and mark it "The beginning of the end"

It's funny that people still think that's all crypto is about.

Speaking of aliens...good thing we wasted all those seti@home resources to find some...

It's funny that people still think that's all crypto is about.

Speaking of aliens...good thing we wasted all those seti@home resources to find some...
What's funny is, the way people brainwash themselves into believing something otherwise. Nobody does anything for anyone without thinking of themselves first, that's an ugly truth and somewhat of a survival mechanism, so I can't completely blame the person, its coded in our DNA to do so.

When people talk about the "warmest its ever been," I think it's more accurate to say that it's the warmer than it's ever been within the maybe 50 years. Before then, who knows what kind of accurate record keeping about temperatures, etc. was actually taking place.
To be fair I think we have been taking accurate temperatures for about 120 years or so? maybe a little more, but even then in the grand scheme of things for this planet, that is nothing. Considering Alberta used to be a tropical water way from the ocean down to the gulf and now it is snow capped mountains and gets to -40C in winter....

Another common tactic I have seen is to show a low tide pic from 1900 then a high tide from current day and go "See? We're drowning here!" :rolleyes:
Only common amongst idiots either trying to prove a point or creating a straw man argument

Back