Early Tests Show Xbox Series X Is Loading Games Faster Than PS5

DukenukemX

Supreme [H]ardness
Surprised nobody posted this but so far the Xbox Series X is loading faster than the PS5, but these are all games on the PS4 and Xbox One. So these games aren't using any “next gen optimization”. Still interesting to see that the raw performance of the SSDs aren't that different.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulta...r-than-ps5-with-some-caveats/?sh=6b37a2a31c1d

Red Dead Redemption 2

- Xbox Series X: 1m4s

- PS5: 1m5s

FFXV

- Xbox Series X: 48s

- PS5: 1m10s

Destiny 2

- Xbox Series X: 42s

- PS5: 57s

MH World

- Xbox Series X: 35s

- PS5: 51s

Arkham Knight

- Xbox Series X: 58s

- PS5: 1m7s

For those extra seconds you can stare at it and question who wanted the PS5 to look like it was out in the sun too long and melted.

Is a few second difference in load time really worth writing home about?
When one of the big selling points of PS5 were the super high speed ssd... Then yes, it's a pretty interesting bit of info that it's in fact slower at loading in these cross platform games. If it's slower at loading and slower in general then it's not got a lot going for it besides exclusives and people already stuck with the sony ecosystem.

How are some of these games taking over a minute to load on a ssd? Don't think I coukd play them on a Spinner...

That said, the advantage is supposedly in streaming data while in game, not initial loads, right?

Think I would've preferred a widely available SSD in the PS5 if the speed gains of their faster SSD are minimal.

When one of the big selling points of PS5 were the super high speed ssd... Then yes, it's a pretty interesting bit of info that it's in fact slower at loading in these cross platform games. If it's slower at loading and slower in general then it's not got a lot going for it besides exclusives and people already stuck with the sony ecosystem.
This is all PS4 games, which don’t really take advantage of the new SSD.

This is all PS4 games, which don’t really take advantage of the new SSD.
They are still reading the game from the SSD, and gen if they aren't taking advantage of everything. And some of these differences are pretty substantial. I understand that games optimised for the ps5 I/o system may be better, but these are the direct comparisons without exclusives.

More interested in next gen loading comparisons. Sony’s backwards compatibility has always been average at best (unless it had direct hardware implementation like in the fat PS3). Xbox has always had better BC.

Interesting and potentially a problem until there are more current gen ps5 games to play. Something tells me that Sony will now be looking at a firmware update to tune loading of ps4 games.

If it's slower at loading and slower in general then it's not got a lot going for it besides exclusives and people already stuck with the sony ecosystem.
Isn't that close to 100% of what matter for a hardforum users ?

Where are 10 second loads?!!🤨 taco thought this is next GEN!!
Apparently (if Gears 5 does not end up some exceptional case) You need nex gen optimised games for those:
https://gamingbolt.com/gears-5-takes-less-than-8-seconds-to-load-a-new-campaign-on-xbox-series-x#:~:text=A new single player campaign,on the base Xbox One.

This likely has to do, mostly, with how each system is handling backwards compat. The Xbox is built around it, designed to make older games look and run better. BC games don't make use of the Series Velocity stuff, but they probably still access DirectStorage and the OS seems to just handle it better. BC on the PS5 is...Half-assed. Most games (at least right now) run exactly like they did on the PS4, meaning they're not taking full advantage of the system's IO. It appears like games will require compatibility updates in order to take advantage of the system more. The handful of games that already have patches (God of War, Ghosts of Tsushima, Day's Gone) seem like they load a lot faster.

Of course, there could also be underlying OS issues at play here. It sounds like the PS5's UI might have been assembled last minute and it's quite up to standards, so that could also be getting in the way of things. That said, it sounds like next gen games load almost instantly so this might be exclusive to last-gen titles.

Personally I don't care about load speeds of the PS4 games. I don't think I can even install the 5 or so PS+ collection games I never played, on it cause it probably wouldn't fit. I hope I can use an external USB 3.0 HDD as secondary storage or a PS5 backup/PS4 games drive. That would be fine for the PS4 games IMHO. I have a couple of 3TB 3.5" drives lying around and plenty of shucked USB 3.0 controllers to go with them. ;)

Personally I don't care about load speeds of the PS4 games. I don't think I can even install the 5 or so PS+ collection games I never played, on it cause it probably wouldn't fit. I hope I can use an external USB 3.0 HDD as secondary storage or a PS5 backup/PS4 games drive. That would be fine for the PS4 games IMHO. I have a couple of 3TB 3.5" drives lying around and plenty of shucked USB 3.0 controllers to go with them. ;)

You can for PS4 games. Right now (and at launch) you will not be able to store PS5 games on an external drive.

This likely has to do, mostly, with how each system is handling backwards compat. The Xbox is built around it, designed to make older games look and run better. BC games don't make use of the Series Velocity stuff, but they probably still access DirectStorage and the OS seems to just handle it better. BC on the PS5 is...Half-assed. Most games (at least right now) run exactly like they did on the PS4, meaning they're not taking full advantage of the system's IO. It appears like games will require compatibility updates in order to take advantage of the system more. The handful of games that already have patches (God of War, Ghosts of Tsushima, Day's Gone) seem like they load a lot faster.

Of course, there could also be underlying OS issues at play here. It sounds like the PS5's UI might have been assembled last minute and it's quite up to standards, so that could also be getting in the way of things. That said, it sounds like next gen games load almost instantly so this might be exclusive to last-gen titles.
Would not surprise me (the UI). It was pretty terrible for the ps3 (and got worse with later updates...although the later revisions of the consoles ran much better, so maybe also a hardware issue), and pretty bad for the ps4 (but much better now).

These are all BC titles and thus aren't optimized for SSDs and loading times will vary depending on the console's BC software and methods. Not much else to say and I still suspect native next-gen titles will load just as fast or faster on PS5.

Just a note on people talking about Back Compatibility , you do realize that PS5 and Xbox Series S/X are pretty much the same O/S as prev. gen right?
its not like moving from Cell or from IBM CPU to Jaguar. I'm guessing its pretty much as straight forward like running as same gen , maybe needs some driver tweaks, but probably that's it

Last edited:
Isn't that close to 100% of what matter for a hardforum users ?
I mean, depends, I'm a fan of technology, not lock in... But to each their own. Also a lot of people play games on thes systems, not just [H] users. If I'm talking to someone non technical that just wants to play games (not just exclusives) it's good information to know.

I mean, depends, I'm a fan of technology, not lock in... But to each their own. Also a lot of people play games on thes systems, not just [H] users. If I'm talking to someone non technical that just wants to play games (not just exclusives) it's good information to know.

I'm a fan of games, so of course I buy consoles for their exclusives and have a PS5 on the way to my house right now. Xbox doesn't appeal to me much outside of playing BC 360 and OG Xbox games since it literally has no exclusives from PC and my existing PC is already more powerful than it. I'll prolly still get one at some point, but for now my Xbone X can keep collecting dust until I see a deal on Series X in the next year or two.

But the Dual Sense features and Pulse headset/Tempest audio seems pretty intriguing to me as well and I'm excited to try them out given all the positive reviews of them so far. I hope Sony releases an updated PS VR as well at some point, ideally one that's compatible with PC (wishful thinking, but possible I think).

I'm a fan of games, so of course I buy consoles for their exclusives and have a PS5 on the way to my house right now. Xbox doesn't appeal to me much outside of playing BC 360 and OG Xbox games since it literally has no exclusives from PC and my existing PC is already more powerful than it. I'll prolly still get one at some point, but for now my Xbone X can keep collecting dust until I see a deal on Series X in the next year or two.

But the Dual Sense features and Pulse headset/Tempest audio seems pretty intriguing to me as well and I'm excited to try them out given all the positive reviews of them so far. I hope Sony releases an updated PS VR as well at some point, ideally one that's compatible with PC (wishful thinking, but possible I think).

Well, be careful because, for now, there is no internal SSD upgrade support, no support for external drives and no 1440p support, for now.

Well, be careful because, for now, there is no internal SSD upgrade support, no support for external drives and no 1440p support, for now.
Tracking. I'll be good with the 667GB or whatever is left of the internal SSD and my 2TB external I'll move over from my PS4 Pro (which PS5 does support external drives for PS4 games already) for now and I'll bet they allow you to archive PS5 games on an external at some point. I'll get a 3rd party NVME drive to stick in it as soon as they're available and you can bet they'll be considerably cheaper than MS's proprietary $220 1TB SSD cards if not at launch but soon after ones are available on the market. 1440p would be nice for my PC monitor for the occasional times I do like to move my console to my office to play, but my current 120 Hz 3440x1440P monitor is bottlenecked by its HDMI 1.4 input anyways (only supports up to 1440P 60hz input) and I'll be trying to replace it with the first ~42" 4K OLED TV/monitor on the market I can get (LG's current 48" is still a bit too big for me and my desk).

But I'm looking forward to finally putting my C9 OLED to good use at 4K/120Hz in games that support it, as well as VRR that the PS5 supports but apparently doesn't have any settings for in the display menu. But I really hope that devs start supporting VRR in general this generation instead of trying to hard cap games at 30/60/120 Hz.

You guys always make such a big deal about these things, which is very [H], but it will all come down to the games like it always seems too.
Interesting results nonetheless.

I have a 1440p 144Hz monitor I wanted to hook up my PS5 to. I'm sure it will still work.

Yeah, I know, but I was pointing out that 1440p support would be nice even if there are no 1440p TV's.

Does your monitor support 1440p at 144 Hz via HDMI though? Because my 3440x1440 Ultrawide only does via Displayport since its HDMI port is only 1.4a.

When I hook my PS4 Pro up to it, it only outputs 1080p/60 to it, which actually still looks decent to me the few times I've done it. The PS5 will do exactly the same thing at least for now. Both consoles will do Supersampling though (if enabled in the settings) at least so it will look a bit cleaner and render at its maximum output still.

Does your monitor support 1440p at 144 Hz via HDMI though? Because my 3440x1440 Ultrawide only does via Displayport since its HDMI port is only 1.4a.

When I hook my PS4 Pro up to it, it only outputs 1080p/60 to it, which actually still looks decent to me the few times I've done it. The PS5 will do exactly the same thing at least for now. Both consoles will do Supersampling though (if enabled in the settings) at least so it will look a bit cleaner and render at its maximum output still.

Good catch. I doubt it now that I think about it. It's a 1st gen FreeSync. I have my PS3 and PS4 hooked up to it at various times and it worked ok. 1080p I'm guessing. Maybe 720p on the PS3.

Back