Early Reviews kill video card availability

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nukester

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm starting to think that reviews of video cards that aren't readily available for purchase at or below retail is hurting the consumer. It creates a hyped demand and keeps prices inflated for months after a launch.

We should all refuse to read early reviews. (yeah right).

I'm starting to think that reviews of video cards that aren't readily available for purchase at or below retail is hurting the consumer. It creates a hyped demand and keeps prices inflated for months after a launch.

We should all refuse to read early reviews. (yeah right).

Your approach would be fantastically dumb since you would rather the consumer NOT have any information when the hardware was on the shelf. There is hype and demand because of the reviews. Nvidia has Pascal production cranked to 11 to try and keep up.

Tons of people already have 1080s and will soon have 1070s. There has been very little gouging with the two largest GPU retailers not raising prices. You can get them for MSRP if you do a bit of research on how everyone is getting the cards.

Your approach would be fantastically dumb since you would rather the consumer NOT have any information when the hardware was on the shelf. There is hype and demand because of the reviews. Nvidia has Pascal production cranked to 11 to try and keep up.

Tons of people already have 1080s and will soon have 1070s. There has been very little gouging with the two largest GPU retailers not raising prices. You can get them for MSRP if you do a bit of research on how everyone is getting the cards.

But, you do get the point, even if it is unrealistic. This happens with every new video card.

I've had founder edition cards in my online cart multiple times now and removed them. I still think the founders editions are rip offs. I was bummed I didn't get an EVGA Gaming SC card yesterday from Newegg. The alarm went off and I ran for it but it was too late. I think I would have actually bought that one.

I've had founder edition cards in my online cart multiple times now and removed them. I still think the founders editions are rip offs. I was bummed I didn't get an EVGA Gaming SC card yesterday from Newegg. The alarm went off and I ran for it but it was too late. I think I would have actually bought that one.

It's quite amazing the demand for these things. I mean I have a nice 6700k system with a 970 and I have no desire to upgrade, but, I only game at 1080p. Would I like a 1070? Yeah. Am I willing to pay current and near future pricing? Never.

It's quite amazing the demand for these things. I mean I have a nice 6700k system with a 970 and I have no desire to upgrade, but, I only game at 1080p. Would I like a 1070? Yeah. Am I willing to pay current and near future pricing? Never.

If you're not willing to buy what do you care? Makes little difference at 1080p I have a 6700k system and a 1440p Gsync monitor. I'm using integrated graphics and very ready for a 1080 but I'm still not buying a founded edition on principle

Its being gouged by newegg, talked about within the nvidia forums.

Its being gouged by newegg, talked about within the nvidia forums.

It's true, in the end the retailers get them for the proper cost, then jack them up. They know full well that people will buy them at whatever the cost early on. I quit using Newegg many many years ago. They used to be awesome.

I think you are arguing a catch 22, unfortunately. You are right that higher stock levels may curtail the negative price impact.

But that demand is fueled completely by reviews. Wouldn't it be great if the reviewers said it sucked.

No, because that would be completely dishonest. Even if you didn't do reviews, or even said it sucked, you would still get a bunch of people buying it because of media hype and the fact that it is new.

No, because that would be completely dishonest. Even if you didn't do reviews, or even said it sucked, you would still get a bunch of people buying it because of media hype and the fact that it is new.

I don't know. I put a lot of faith, sometimes too much? into Hard reviews. I haven't gone wrong with them. I'm thankful that more than one person chimes in on the conclusions.

They're only hurting you if you have no patience and NEED NEW SHINY NOW!

Seriously, I read them, think "Huh, neat," and go on about my day. Your priorities might be a little out of whack if a major video card purchase isn't something you can put off for a few weeks to months.

I'll probably buy a 1070... in August or Sept. You know, once all of you silly bastards have calmed down and the market for them matures a bit.

Clickbait title. It's not just [H] doing this, and you don't specify that it's pre-release reviews that are hurting us (if such were even true).

They're only hurting you if you have no patience and NEED NEW SHINY NOW!

Seriously, I read them, think "Huh, neat," and go on about my day. Your priorities might be a little out of whack if a major video card purchase isn't something you can put off for a few weeks to months.

There's always the waiting game that one can play. I've not upgraded GPUs in 4 years and sure I understood the issue with the FE cards and that better AIB cards would be coming. But I have three games right now that I really started to like, Doom, Tomb Raider and Quantum Break and they just really weren't kickin' it with my old 680s. So not everyone is in the same boat and at some point you can wait until that's all you do.

Clickbait title. It's not just [H] doing this, and you don't specify that it's pre-release reviews that are hurting us (if such were even true).

Yeah, I wouldn't mind the moderators deleting the thread at this point. My point didn't come across quite right.

I don't think there is any difference from how it's been in the past. I remember reading the first Geforce reviews (on paper, no less) at least a month before the card was available. If anything I'd like the reviews to be out farther in advance. Sure Nvidia not having enough stock is annoying, but it's not the reviews that are at fault there.

There's always the waiting game that one can play. I've not upgraded GPUs in 4 years and sure I understood the issue with the FE cards and that better AIB cards would be coming. But I have three games right now that I really started to like, Doom, Tomb Raider and Quantum Break and they just really weren't kickin' it with my old 680s. So not everyone is in the same boat and at some point you can wait until that's all you do.

I'm not talking about waiting forever. I'm talking about waiting for the supply issues and price gouging to calm down.

I'm not talking about waiting forever. I'm talking about waiting for the supply issues and price gouging to calm down.

I figure by this fall prices will be where the SHOULD be. AMD will hopefully fix that for us.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind the moderators deleting the thread at this point. My point didn't come across quite right.

What if the mods decide to keep it as a testament to the damage caused by badly thought-out thread titles ?

The thread would make a little more sense if [H] was the only review website, but its not. Also no one is forcing you to buy the new card as soon as its out. I look at reviews as research for future purchases unless i am already currently in the market for a new gpu or cpu.

The thread would make a little more sense if [H] was the only review website, but its not. Also no one is forcing you to buy the new card as soon as its out. I look at reviews as research for future purchases unless i am already currently in the market for a new gpu or cpu.

Once again I think the point is completely messed up by the thread title. It's about early reviews completely shattering the supply chain because the manufacturers aren't ready to release products.

Once again I think the point is completely messed up by the thread title. It's about early reviews completely shattering the supply chain because the manufacturers aren't ready to release products.
Then the people getting affected are the "need it now" types and early adopters always pay more for the convience of getting it first.

The OP point is valid. Positive reviews will increase demand keeping prices up. Of course, negative reviews will tend to curb demand, pushing prices down. I prefer the world where we get the information and can choose what to do. Very few folks are forced to buy that new video card today.

The OP point is valid. Positive reviews will increase demand keeping prices up. Of course, negative reviews will tend to curb demand, pushing prices down. I prefer the world where we get the information and can choose what to do. Very few folks are forced to buy that new video card today.

And with this post, what I was trying to say in a simpler fashion has been accomplished. The Angels may now ascend to heaven and we are now at peace.

Thanks for that!

The ops point and your point make no sense.
[H] reviews do exactly what you want.
The point of an honest review is to give you the information so you can choose what to do.

The ops point and your point make no sense.
[H] reviews do exactly what you want.
The point of an honest review is to give you the information so you can choose what to do.

Exactly, the problem for OP is that the 1080 is basically difficult to purchase because of low availability and insanely high demand, the alternative would be for nvidia to essentially delay the launch. The perception alone of low availability is good for sales, just ask Apple, go on youtube and watch people beating each other over who gets to buy an iphone first, OP.

If it wasn't for reviews you wouldn't just have to fight a rabid horde to get your damned videocard, you'd do it completely ignorant of how it performs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back