Early Reddit Database Was Hacked and User Information Accessed

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Hackers accessed the 2005 - 2007 Reddit databases and potentially stole email addresses and old encrypted passwords. They also had access to 2018 email digests. The Reddit spokesperson suggests that users enable two factor authentication (2FA) to keep their accounts safe and reassured users that they are working with law enforcement. Emails have been sent to those affected by the breach.

What information was involved?
All Reddit data from 2007 and before including account credentials and email addresses.

In such cases it always seems more disconcerting for the 'victims' that the US authorities get involved and might get access to the info rather than the hackers having done so.
Or at least additionally to the hackers having the access.

2FA is a total pain, but it's becoming a necessity to have on important accounts these days.

This is what the log-in activity for my Microsoft account has looked like for the past many months:

X4HHbZm.jpg

And it's not just from European countries, but from everywhere: Germany, Vietnam, China, Japan, USA...

I guess somebody is trying to brute-force hack my sign-in username and password.

Somebody used to do that to my Origin account too - but when they finally got the password they discovered that there's 2FA on the account. Haha, little bitches.

I'm glad I used a very simple password for Reddit that I don't use for any of my other accounts.

Reddit appears to be down right now. I can't log in.

I can see us all needing fingerprint scanners, iris scanners, or face ID in the future. Way too much stuff getting hacked.

I'm glad I used a very simple password for Reddit that I don't use for any of my other accounts.

I can see us all needing fingerprint scanners, iris scanners, or face ID in the future. Way too much stuff getting hacked.
You sure that's a good eye-dea? ;)
simonphoenixeye.jpg

Really got to hand it to you though! :D
handscanner.jpg

im glad I use a password manager
- long uniqie poassword for every single site/service
- hotkey for autofill make it alot faster than having to type a regular password

What ar you gonan do when you fignerprints data gets leaked.
replaced you hand,

Biometirc as a password is in itself a horrible idea and securly worse than correct password.
Tou are basiclay leaving you password everywere and now have the same password on every site/service.

Biometric are for lazyness not security

Why does Wesley Snipes always play the black guy??

Because for some reason he doesn't make a convincing white guy?

Lets not get carried away, Morgan Freeman and Denzel Washington also sometimes play the black guy

Password managers have been hacked also, which would reveal all your passwords in an instant. You should have a local access only manager.

Password managers have been hacked also, which would reveal all your passwords in an instant. You should have a local access only manager.

yeah, those make me shake my head.. the purely online ones.

I also "enjoy" the browser trying ever so to be helpful, asking me if i want to store my CC info with it when making a purchase online..:mad:

That not a problem with password managers. But data storage
Can you Inform of a case where the password was retrieved in a way that does not apply to any other sitation without password manager?

its important to understand the conception and logical difference when asserting risc and safety.
You logic bassical falsl down to. someone once got hit by a card going over for green so its better not to do it while the light is gren for you.r
Correct comparison has to be made to have a valid argument.

Online password managers are a hackers wet dream. One location to compromise to open up so many possibilities. Personally use a local password manager and unique password for each site. I always enable 2fa when ever I can and prefer an authenticator vs text message/email.

I agree with biometrics comment that eventually face/finger/eye will leak out and then its useless. Conventional passwords with 2fa are they way to go.

If you have not yet it might not be a bad idea to sign up for https://haveibeenpwned.com. Its free and notifies you when something has been compromised using your details.

That not a problem with password managers. But data storage
Can you Inform of a case where the password was retrieved in a way that does not apply to any other sitation without password manager?

its important to understand the conception and logical difference when asserting risc and safety.
You logic bassical falsl down to. someone once got hit by a card going over for green so its better not to do it while the light is gren for you.r
Correct comparison has to be made to have a valid argument.
Onelogin and Lastpass was hacked online, Keepass can be locally hacked using an app called Keefarce... etc.

Onelogin and Lastpass was hacked online, Keepass can be locally hacked using an app called Keefarce... etc.

You didnt answer the question at all. "hacked" is a very wide terminology.
Was any password compromised ?

Keeface has to be run on the machine io assume
how is that diffrent from a simple keylogger. that now logs all your data.

None of these points show any weaknes compared to not using a password manager.
you ar stil lrelaying on a hole that would work against the scenario of not using a password managers as well.
aka irrelevant for comparison.

basicla argugin that you should not use atruck over a bike for moving big loads because a if the driver gets sick you can move the load in the trucks... well the same applies for the bike. So the point is a nul at best

You didnt answer the question at all. "hacked" is a very wide terminology.
Was any password compromised ?

Keeface has to be run on the machine io assume
how is that diffrent from a simple keylogger. that now logs all your data.

None of these points show any weaknes compared to not using a password manager.
you ar stil lrelaying on a hole that would work against the scenario of not using a password managers as well.
aka irrelevant for comparison.

basicla argugin that you should not use atruck over a bike for moving big loads because a if the driver gets sick you can move the load in the trucks... well the same applies for the bike. So the point is a nul at best
Yes all passwords were compromised that were in the service.

Back