Early Office 2010 Sales 'Disappointing'

Zarathustra[H];1035944937 said:
At the very least they should ahve offered a menu option to chose wheter to use the ribbon interface or classic menus.

A perfect example is why not is the outcry over the loss of the Windows 95 style menu in Vista/7. Even with computers nowadays having so many programs installed that the list takes up the entire monitor people are still upset over not having it. If the idea was to simplify everything to make it easier for the average person, then keeping the old wouldn't help because 95% of the people will just immediately turn the old version on.

If they didn't cripple the web version it probably would be the perfect vehicle to get more people to give it a chance, but on the other hand if they gave it too much power why would you buy office? I guess a better solution would be to offer the ad supported version as a free download for average people instead of keeping it OEM only.

If they didn't cripple the web version it probably would be the perfect vehicle to get more people to give it a chance, but on the other hand if they gave it too much power why would you buy office? I guess a better solution would be to offer the ad supported version as a free download for average people instead of keeping it OEM only.

The web version does pretty much everything all the people clamoring about Office bloat say they want or need.

And honestly you're never going to get a web client, even an HTML 5 one to replace the most powerful rich client apps like Office.

I'm just saying use it as a tool to convert the "2003 will be taken from my cold dead hands" crowd. As it stands those people won't see it unless they use the web version to open up a 2010 file. Even then, I'm not completely sure if the web version will show all features that were added, like the keynote like graphic acceleration in powerpoint for instance.

So you use the newest version? I'm curious, what prompted you to buy the upgrade?
Office 2010 from an MSDN account at home.
Office 2003 at work heheh.

I know where everything is in 2003 and am very comfortable with it. I fear that switching to 2010 at work will cause me more frustration than the upgrade is worth.

Office 2010 from an MSDN account at home.
Office 2003 at work heheh.

I know where everything is in 2003 and am very comfortable with it. I fear that switching to 2010 at work will cause me more frustration than the upgrade is worth.

Times that by several thousand users having to deal with the difference and you see why companies aren't upgrading... :)

Times that by several thousand users having to deal with the difference and you see why companies aren't upgrading... :)

We upgraded one of the largest private deployments of Office in the world from 2003 to 2007 last year. Overall it has been a success and there was no long term drop off in productivity. If you stick with it most people learn to like this interface be as productive as ever from our internal surveys. This just i

As I was saying this just isn't as a problematic update UI wise for most people as some are making it out to be. You may not love it but you will eventually be working with it just fine.

As I was saying this just isn't as a problematic update UI wise for most people as some are making it out to be. You may not love it but you will eventually be working with it just fine.

For the techie types, sure. For the "I hate computers" crowd (which for us, includes all upper management) they won't learn anything new. We look at the cost, the cost of downtime/lack of productivity (or people making excuses which still cuts into productivity) and what we are receiving (new features we'd actually use) for the amount of cash laid out and its just not a wise way to spend money. Especially in todays economy where every last fraction of a penny is scrutinized, at least for our business. If theres some new feature or whatever you need than sure it makes sense to upgrade. So far, for us anyway, its just not there.

For the techie types, sure. For the "I hate computers" crowd (which for us, includes all upper management) they won't learn anything new. We look at the cost, the cost of downtime/lack of productivity (or people making excuses which still cuts into productivity) and what we are receiving (new features we'd actually use) for the amount of cash laid out and its just not a wise way to spend money. Especially in todays economy where every last fraction of a penny is scrutinized, at least for our business. If theres some new feature or whatever you need than sure it makes sense to upgrade. So far, for us anyway, its just not there.

Not just the techie types. The VAST majority of people that use office are non-techies that need to get work done. As I said, we rolled out about 300,000 deployments of Office 2007 last year and our surveys indicate that the vast majority people adapted, they were motived since it was their job, and aren't having issues.

Who's spent $500 on a word processor?

No one. But not only that who pays $500 for Office?:confused: There may be some poor sap that doesn't know any better but I don't know ANYONE who does that or has done that is many a years.

No one. But not only that who pays $500 for Office?:confused: There may be some poor sap that doesn't know any better but I don't know ANYONE who does that or has done that is many a years.
Good point, and I haven't. The Ultimate Steal was too hard to pass up. :p

Good point, and I haven't. The Ultimate Steal was too hard to pass up. :p

Office 2010 is EASILY worth $80. Think about it this way. If you were to buy equivalent apps for the iPad they'd cost you $10 a pop for a total of $70. So a copy of Pages costs you $10 and a copy of Word 2010 costs you $11.40?:confused:

Yeah, totally worth $80.

We upgraded one of the largest private deployments of Office in the world from 2003 to 2007 last year. Overall it has been a success and there was no long term drop off in productivity. If you stick with it most people learn to like this interface be as productive as ever from our internal surveys. This just i

Probably just a short term adaptation period, in which poor people stay late to get their work done, so you are inconveniencing everyone in the organization, and forcing some poor guy to stay until 8pm cursing at his monitor cause he can no longer figure out how to attach his presentation to an email, when you coiuld have just not upgraded and everything would just have continued to work smoothly...

Yes, long term people adapt. As a species we are very good at this. This is still not a reasonable justification for inconveniencing thousands of users. Why should we HAVE to adapt, when we are doing njust fine as we are? If there were a real benefit to changing, then by all means do it, but with the relatively limited benefits of going to 2007 (or 2010 for that matter) the aggravation just isn't worth it.

that and I get pissed off every time somoene emails me a retarded .docx or .xlsx file. Im tired of going to the stupid MS site and trying to find the compatability layer for every computer I use...

I'm going to start emailing these people .odf, .odp and .ods files and when they can't open them, I'll just keep sending the same file again, and again and again. :D

Zarathustra[H];1035948393 said:
If there were a real benefit to changing, then by all means do it, but with the relatively limited benefits of going to 2007 (or 2010 for that matter) the aggravation just isn't worth it.

Yeah, thats my point too. I think he just doesn't want to look bad for wasting so much of the companies money. ;)

Back