Early MSI Z170 Motherboard Info

HardOCP News

[H] News
The folks at MSI seem to be pretty Excited about their upcoming next-gen motherboards. In addition to what we see in the slides below, the company says the new motherboards will come in three different series; Enthusiast GAMING, Performance GAMING and Arsenal GAMING. The MSI Z170 GAMING motherboards all come with different types of armor from heavy to light. The MSI X99A GODLIKE GAMING features two USB 3.1 (one Type-A and one Type-C connector) and the new Killer DoubleShot-X3 Pro. MSI has also declared SATA Express is dead, upcoming MSI Z170 GAMING motherboards feature Twin Turbo M.2 NVMe SSD. See all the images HERE.

Last edited:
Reactive armor...just the thing if you need to use your tower to protect against those pesky shaped charge warheads.

Reactive armor...just the thing if you need to use your tower to protect against those pesky shaped charge warheads.
I don't understand why they use names such as "GODLIKE". I don't know, MSI makes really good boards, they couldn't come up with something less childish? And "Reactive armor", that's just not even.. sigh.

I suppose it has paid off for other companies. Gigabyte with their 'Sniper' brand and ASUS with 'Rampage'. It's just a notch above even those.

I don't understand why they use names such as "GODLIKE". I don't know, MSI makes really good boards, they couldn't come up with something less childish? And "Reactive armor", that's just not even.. sigh.

I suppose it has paid off for other companies. Gigabyte with their 'Sniper' brand and ASUS with 'Rampage'. It's just a notch above even those.

I've always thought that MSI doesn't employee any marketing people based on English-speaking countries. Their branding is always terrible. Gigabyte and ASUS are no great shakes either. They still have some serious issues. Remember the slogan "ASUS: Rock solid, heart touching". I still have to see that every time my desktop boots because it's on the boot screen.

Wonder if there will be another gen1 intel chipset flaw. Corrupt sata/usb sleep resume fail, or something new?

Boards look ok visually but my impression is too much red.

M9 sli spacing? Top and bottom are white whereas the rest have two white on the top. PLX chip maybe? Seems like 3 way sli capable

they should sell the 'armor' separately in different color sets, so the people who want it can customize their boards. the people who don't want it can save a few bucks.

As someone who loves MSI products (my GhostPro60 with 970m) I look forward to this, I'm running a Z77 chipset with a 2500k that's getting long in the tooth. If I save up a wad of cash for Skylake, this motherboard looks to be the tits!

I've been wanting to run an M2 SSD setup for quite some time, imagining two 256GB M2 drives in Raid0 -- mmm yes please.

Christ allmighty, I think MSI has beaten Asus in the over the top, flashy, full of graphics and bright colors marketing in your face style. I've never seen so much fluffed up specs and BS filled diagrams in my life

Never played UT? It's a term from a kill streak. Not that I care what my motherboard is called.

Out of all that flash and jazz, what really sold it for me is the fact I can now play Goat Simulator with this new and upcoming board. Finally, a reason to upgrade since Goat Simulator is going to be the de facto standard that all other games and PC hardware will be measured to.

Oh yeah forgot this one. It goes to 11! We all know 11 is better than 10. Did the guy from Spinal Tap design this ad?

I love the looks of black and red builds, but I'm really beginning to tire of them as it seems like that's 90% of the custom builds.

Maybe it's time board makers be sent boxes of crayons so they might realize there are a ton of other colors out there that can be used besides black and red.

Will there ever again be an elegant understated top notch MB? If only SuperMicro or Tyan made decent desktop boards.

Seriously, what happened to a MB looking like a circuit board? Why does it have to look like a hot-rod, or transformer, or spaceship? Why cant it look like a computer component?

You guys are weird. I base my motherboard purchase decision on how busty the cartoon girl is on the box.

Seriously, what happened to a MB looking like a circuit board? Why does it have to look like a hot-rod, or transformer, or spaceship? Why cant it look like a computer component?

because you have to post your PC to reddit to earn reddit points, duh.

You guys are weird. I base my motherboard purchase decision on how busty the cartoon girl is on the box.

You are confusing mobos and video cards.

IMG_6897.jpg

I probably won't ever need 4 SLI slots, but 3 SLI slots maybe. So are there any Z710 boards on the horizon with 3 PCI-e 16x lanes?

I am probably going to go with a cheap Asrock board for Skylake at this point. I've liked MSI boards for a while however shit like this makes me cringe. The EXXXtreme features, super military grade everything, and weapons metaphors are more of a deterrent than a feature for me.

Last edited:
Took some photos of one of the new MSI boards today (and a Gigabyte one) if anyone is interested:

Back