Early Black Friday TV Sales @ BestBuy (Some of it.)

Just helped a buddy set up this TV.. the 65" lg 65UF6450, utter garbage
terrible backlight bleed, poor black levels, motion looks bad, doesn't seem to accept a 4K input over HDMI? (maybe need to mess around with video card settings, but as of now we could only get it to accept 1080p 60hz)

Very noticeable input lag, but didn't have time to try any kind of gaming
just moving the mouse on the screen was a pain, seriously very bad input lag

I will say some professional GoPro studios 4k videos on youtube, and others on netflix via the built in "webos 2.0" apps looked incredible, but if this thing doesn't accept 4k over HDMI, it's trash

Which HDMI port did you use? Only Port 1 is supposed to support 4K@60Hz with HDCP 2.2. You also have to enable HDMI-PC = On to reduce the mouse lag dramatically.

Im going to wait for a nicer samsung. This lg is probably great as a tv, but i was planning on using it as a monitor. And after seeing the rgbw, and less than perfect text, ill have to pass.

Boughted, but from Amazon about $3 cheaper because Best Buy is out of stock.

I had originally been looking for a deal on a new 1080p set to replace my aging LG 42LK450, but at this price it looks like it's 4K for me! I wonder if my GTX 970 is up to the challenge?

I bought this as well; it seems like the perfect budget 4K monitor. 4:4:4 chroma, 4K@60Hz using HDMI 2.0, and an IPS panel. VESA mount, too. What's not to love?

I bought this as well; it seems like the perfect budget 4K monitor. 4:4:4 chroma, 4K@60Hz using HDMI 2.0, and an IPS panel. VESA mount, too. What's not to love?

How are you liking it? I just confirmed my local BB has it so very tempted to go and get it. :D

Which HDMI port did you use? Only Port 1 is supposed to support 4K@60Hz with HDCP 2.2. You also have to enable HDMI-PC = On to reduce the mouse lag dramatically.

Tried both HDMI ports, his GTX 770 wouldn't output above 1080p for either port and claimed that 1080p was "recommended" and the native resolution of the display. We will keep playing with it, and definitely try HDMI-PC = ON as the mouse lag was terrible.

How are you liking it? I just confirmed my local BB has it so very tempted to go and get it. :D

I would give you a review this afternoon but the FedEx delivery estimate went from today to Saturday... It shipped from TN and I live in the midwest. :(

Tried both HDMI ports, his GTX 770 wouldn't output above 1080p for either port and claimed that 1080p was "recommended" and the native resolution of the display. We will keep playing with it, and definitely try HDMI-PC = ON as the mouse lag was terrible.

I don't think the GTX 770 has HDMI 2.0 support. That would be the culprit here.

I may be wrong but I think only the Titan X, 960, 970, 980, and 980ti can do 60hz @ 4k over HDMI 2.0

I may be wrong but I think only the Titan X, 960, 970, 980, and 980ti can do 60hz @ 4k over HDMI 2.0

Yep. I had to switch back to the Green team to get HDMI 2.0 with a GTX 980 on order. Outside of Titan X or the 9xx series, the best you can do is 4K@30Hz over HDMI 1.4.

I don't think the GTX 770 has HDMI 2.0 support. That would be the culprit here.

Yep. I had to switch back to the Green team to get HDMI 2.0 with a GTX 980 on order. Outside of Titan X or the 9xx series, the best you can do is 4K@30Hz over HDMI 1.4.

Well shouldn't his 770 still be able to output 4K at 30hz? That isn't even an option, won't go higher than 1080p 60hz.

Well shouldn't his 770 still be able to output 4K at 30hz? That isn't even an option, won't go higher than 1080p 60hz.

Yes it certainly should, i have a cheap 4k tv (in sig below) and used a 780 gtx with it and it defaulted to 4k @ 30hz

According to this http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-770/specifications , 770 is capable of doing 4K@30Hz over HDMI.

With a R9 290X, both 3840x2160 at 30Hz or 4096x2160 at 24Hz options are available on Linux and Windows.

Make sure the cable has the bandwidth for 4K and HDMI-PC is on. That's all I can think up at the moment.

Ok thanks guys I'll pass along the information to him, but he isn't entirely techy, and with the holiday it might be a few days until I can go back over there and mess with it.

But from what I have seen, 4k input issues aside, I would NOT recommend you buy this TV.
Motion is blurry, backlight bleed, poor black levels, poor uniformity, etc etc.

You get what you pay for, avoid black friday specific models at all costs..

Ok thanks guys I'll pass along the information to him, but he isn't entirely techy, and with the holiday it might be a few days until I can go back over there and mess with it.

But from what I have seen, 4k input issues aside, I would NOT recommend you buy this TV.
Motion is blurry, backlight bleed, poor black levels, poor uniformity, etc etc.

You get what you pay for, avoid black friday specific models at all costs..

Ouch not sounding that good now. I may not drive to get it then :/

Well I tried it and its odd. Yes Black levels are weak but photos for example look fantastic and give a lot more impact than looking at them on my 27".
Lag its noticeable for sure but my main issue is...browsers look like crap. The text looks horrible and images in Flickr look horrible too even though menus looks super sharp form the desktop so now sure why this mixed issues.

Well I tried it and its odd. Yes Black levels are weak but photos for example look fantastic and give a lot more impact than looking at them on my 27".
Lag its noticeable for sure but my main issue is...browsers look like crap. The text looks horrible and images in Flickr look horrible too even though menus looks super sharp form the desktop so now sure why this mixed issues.

Try turning OFF all the gimmicky features. Recommended PC mode settings:

HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color = On
HDMI-PC = On
Picture Mode Settings:
Backlight 92
Contrast 98
Brightness 49
Sharpness 0
Color 60
Advance Controls - Gamma = High1 (this is the most crucial setting)
Picture Options - Black Level = Low

Any PQ improvement?

Yeah sorry, I did use those options and it looks pretty good to me. The issues I saw were only related to windows scaling so changing it to 100% everything looks sharp.
With a lower black level and without the lower corners having such bright light leaks I would seriously consider keeping it cause looking at my photos again there and now back to the Qnix is like I just want to go back to the LG :D

Shaolin, which version did you get? Being edge-lit, it's harder to avoid brighter corners and lighting non-uniformity in general on larger screens. I was specifically warned by a friend on this. I find the 49" very acceptable in this regard.

As for the black level, it is an IPS panel. I don't know better though since I have always used IPS LCDs. Never tried alternative TN, PVA, etc. :D

Shaolin, which version did you get? Being edge-lit, it's harder to avoid brighter corners and lighting non-uniformity in general on larger screens. I was specifically warned by a friend on this. I find the 49" very acceptable in this regard.

As for the black level, it is an IPS panel. I don't know better though since I have always used IPS LCDs. Never tried alternative TN, PVA, etc. :D

:D
I got the 43UF6430. Looks like my wife wants to keep it for the bedroom for the internet features it has if I dont keep it for my computer. :eek:
I have not been able to do the 1440p @75 or 1080 @ 120 that some are claiming so far.
Anyone having luck with that?

With a lower black level....

Unfortunately that's one of the characteristics of an IPS panel, but you get better color and a wider viewing angle with less distortion as a tradeoff for the 'not so black' blacks. It's kind of a catch 22...

My 43UF6430 arrives Monday according to Amazon, I'll let everyone know what I think for sure.

I find it pretty funny how lots of people on AVSForums and even here are referring the the UF6430 as cut down 'black friday' version of the UF6400 series. If that's true then they are sure going about it in a funny way seeing as the UF6430 actually has 3 HDMI ports versus the UF6400's 2 HDMI ports. I've also seen several people say that they are Best Buy specific holiday builds which obviously isn't true at all since Amazon, Kohls, HHGregg, etc are selling them as well.

Now it may very well suck. I may get it and hate it... but I prefer to keep an open mind until it's here in front of me, and I will admit that coming from a 4 - 5 year old 1080p LG 42" IPS panel my expectations might be somewhat behind everyone elses. Honestly for $400 I'll be happy if it does 4K@60hz and is at least somewhat uniform in terms of backlight bleed - chroma be damned.

Unfortunately that's one of the characteristics of an IPS panel, but you get better color and a wider viewing angle with less distortion as a tradeoff for the 'not so black' blacks. It's kind of a catch 22...

My 43UF6430 arrives Monday according to Amazon, I'll let everyone know what I think for sure.

I find it pretty funny how lots of people on AVSForums and even here are referring the the UF6430 as cut down 'black friday' version of the UF6400 series. If that's true then they are sure going about it in a funny way seeing as the UF6430 actually has 3 HDMI ports versus the UF6400's 2 HDMI ports. I've also seen several people say that they are Best Buy specific holiday builds which obviously isn't true at all since Amazon, Kohls, HHGregg, etc are selling them as well.

Now it may very well suck. I may get it and hate it... but I prefer to keep an open mind until it's here in front of me, and I will admit that coming from a 4 - 5 year old 1080p LG 42" IPS panel my expectations might be somewhat behind everyone elses. Honestly for $400 I'll be happy if it does 4K@60hz and is at least somewhat uniform in terms of backlight bleed - chroma be damned.

I don't have back light bleeding, unless I am blind I can't see any back light bleeding.

I am not praising this TV as if it's the best 4K tv ever but I am very impressed with it simply because of the image/color quality at this price point. Do take note I have the 43" and I think it looks absolutely amazing for what I paid ($390).

RGBW or not I don't care. Just play a game such as Project Cars and simply admire the quality.

Got the 49" version yesterday. The display output in PC mode and TV mode is very good (to me anyways). No obvious banding issue. No noticeable mouse lag in PC mode. There are multiple confirmations of HDMI Port 1 support for 4K@60Hz (4:4:4 chroma) with HDCP 2.2 using Roku 4.

Here are the settings I've found to yield high contrast for desktop use:

HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color = On
HDMI-PC = On

Picture Mode Settings:
Backlight 92
Contrast 98
Brightness 49
Sharpness 0
Color 60
Advance Controls - Gamma = High1 (this is the most crucial setting)
Picture Options - Black Level = Low

Originally I wanted the 55", but 49" is really pushing it as a monitor, unless you want to move your chair constantly in order to focus on different parts of the desktop. :D

Also note that being an edge-lit LCD, lighting uniformity is harder to maintain the larger the screen.

I am running off of those settings and they look good to me but tweak them as you please, use it as a starting point. I thought the TV looked great already when it was on the Vivid preset.

Decided I'm going to pass on all these BF-only HDTVs, its like Samsung/LG and everyone else crank out these subpar panels just for BF using inferior components and specs. Already seeing some reviews from Slickdeals and people are showing buyer's remorse and general disappointment.

You have to be careful with LG year round. I like their TVs but they introduce a model with an IPS panel and then as the product cycle wears down they replace the IPS with a lesser panel and start selling the TVs substantially cheaper to pull buyers back in.

You have to be careful with LG year round. I like their TVs but they introduce a model with an IPS panel and then as the product cycle wears down they replace the IPS with a lesser panel and start selling the TVs substantially cheaper to pull buyers back in.

Proof of this? Not doubting you but I'd like to read where you got it from.

Proof of this? Not doubting you but I'd like to read where you got it from.

They've definitely done it in the past, but I haven't heard a lot of chatter about it in a couple of years at least. But there were definite 'panel lotteries' in years past - in fact with the LG 42LK450 I'm using now you had to look for a certain character in the serial number to ensure you got an IPS and not a P-MVA panel. That was back in late 2010 and early 2011...

But like I said I haven't heard of that happening with recent models. I think LG hypes their IPS technology so much these days that most of their lineup are IPS panels through and through now.

Does this prove that it does 4:4:4 and 60fps just fine?
If I am doing something wrong with the test do let me know please so we can get answers about what It can do and what it cannot do.
Regards!

Sam's club: online
58" 4k Vizio $700 free shipping
65" 4k $999

Which 58 is that? What model? The vizio in trying to snag at some point today or tonight is the m60 c3 4k. It's supposed to be 799 at Dell and Amazon and a few other places i believe.

Which 58 is that? What model? The vizio in trying to snag at some point today or tonight is the m60 c3 4k. It's supposed to be 799 at Dell and Amazon and a few other places i believe.

D58u-d3. Looks like a cheaper variant for sales. I'm also waiting for the m60 c3. Where did you see it would be listed for $800

Does this prove that it does 4:4:4 and 60fps just fine?
If I am doing something wrong with the test do let me know please so we can get answers about what It can do and what it cannot do.
Regards!

Hard to tell by your pics...it looks like 4:4:4 is working (are the bottom two rows of the quick brown fox test image as sharp and legible as the rest, or do they have artifacting/fringing?).

Here is arguably a better test image. Save it and make sure you're viewing it at 100% original size (also critical with any test image). If you're running at reduced chroma, 4:4:4 will be "hidden" (I say hidden; it's still visible but much less prominent than 4:2:2). If you're running with full/proper chroma subsampling, the 4:2:2 will be obscured in the image and 4:4:4 will clearly appear.

Also, here is a link that may be of some use to you guys. It gives a chart of various 2015 TV sets and what they support. It's not all-encompassing (I don't see the LG UF64xx on there) but it's fairly comprehensive.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-usage/pc-monitor/best

Click "Show All Reviews" to show the full chart.

Here is arguably a better test image. Save it and make sure you're viewing it at 100% original size (also critical with any test image). If you're running at reduced chroma, 4:4:4 will be "hidden" (I say hidden; it's still visible but much less prominent than 4:2:2). If you're running with full/proper chroma subsampling, the 4:2:2 will be obscured in the image and 4:4:4 will clearly appear.

Click "Show All Reviews" to show the full chart.

Keep in mind that you need to make SURE you view the image linked above at 100% (ie not zoomed or shrunk). A lot of the time people have their browser set to zoomed in and don't even realize it and it will screw up the intended purpose of the image.

Also, here is a video showing how RGBW LCD and OLED panels can screw with chroma and text clarity. I think it's probably highly biased but at least this will give those of you considering the purchase something to pause and think about. (I'm still glad I bought it and can't wait for it to get here!).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfIn5O-4hJU

It's also worth noting that this set probably has the same ~50ms lag that all of the UHD LG sets seem to. If you're into super competitive twitch gaming it may not be for you...

D58u-d3. Looks like a cheaper variant for sales. I'm also waiting for the m60 c3. Where did you see it would be listed for $800

Supposed to be dell,amazon, bestbuy and Walmart. Possible there are more offering it as well.

Back