Early Benchmarks of the Intel Core i7 7700K on Linux

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
The open source enthusiasts over at Phoronix have some early review data of Intel's new i7-7700K. It's less of a review, and more like an early dump of benchmarks, but if you have been looking for some solid data on how this chip performs in some common Linux applications, this should do the trick. You can check out our reviews of the i7-7700K here, for reference.

I'll have up a proper Core i7 7700K Linux review in the days ahead compared to various other CPUs. For this comparison I am using Intel's Clear Linux distribution as the base. So far today though I do have some fresh Kabylake comparisons from Clear Linux using the Core i3 7100, Core i5 7600K, and Core i7 7700K. So while waiting on the complete results, you can check out these early numbers:

Looking very promising, perhaps I should update from an x5675 at last....

Looking very promising, perhaps I should update from an x5675 at last....

Yeah, I'm thinking about what's next for my 3930k. I don't necessarily NEED a new system right away, the 3930k is still plenty fast, but it's really feeling old.

I'm going to see what Ryzen brings us, and then try to decide.

With all of that FUD in the media about "it only runs Windows 10", I bought a Skylake i7 instead. You'd think Intel would have made a clarification statement or something. Yes, I do feel stupid. :p

The Skylake i7 runs Linux extremely well though. It idles AND plays 1080P Netflix at 22 Watts on the IGP too. I'll probably dual boot Windows when I put in the nVidia 1070 vid-ee-oo card.

With all of that FUD in the media about "it only runs Windows 10", I bought a Skylake i7 instead. You'd think Intel would have made a clarification statement or something. Yes, I do feel stupid. :p

The Skylake i7 runs Linux extremely well though. It idles AND plays 1080P Netflix at 22 Watts on the IGP too. I'll probably dual boot Windows when I put in the nVidia 1070 vid-ee-oo card.

Well, you have to view it through a Microsoft lens.

To them, there is nothing except Windows for consumers, so to them, not having drivers for previous versions of Windows and "only running on Windows 10" are the exact same thing :p

Last edited:
Reactions: DPI
like this
Well, you have to view it through a Microsoft lens.

To them, there is nothing except Windows for consumers, so to them, not having drivers for previous versions of Windows and "only running on Windows 10" is the exact same thing :p

I see it the same as the NVIDIA or AMD stuff in the beginning of games or on the boxes. Just a ton of marketing to make it look like it's shit on the competition.

I still think Microsoft is going a bit (well, more than a bit) too aggressive with their Windows 10 push.

I was thinking of upgrading my PC, but going in with the expectations for a higher end workstation rather than a simple Word/Web/Email/Gaming PC. Tons of RAM, lots of fast storage, lots of cores. Be able to run a few VM's for labbing if needed.

(I hate it when someone quotes me before I re-read and discover my stupid grammar mistakes and fix them. :p )

Back