Early access steam games

Do you want to see early access games benchmarked?

• Total voters

5150Joker

Supreme [H]ardness
Steam sells a lot of early access games and some are quite popular like Rust, Day Z, Ark etc. Given the fact that they're still in early development, we rarely see reviews covering their performance with various hardware. Personally I'd like to see these games tested with the caveat that performance can change. How about you guys?

Last edited:
Reviewers have enough work to do without having to do performance reviews of alpha/beta games. How often would these reviews have to be released? Every update? Considering these games are only early access and might not actually ever be released, what games do you decide to review?

The reason you don't see many performance reviews for early access stuff is because it would be a complete waste of time.

Also what use would it be to anybody? All you are leaning is about the performance at that stage of the games development. What benefit would it be?

It wont help you decide on a graphics card,
It wont help with getting good playable settings on anybody's card,
It wont give any reliable indication of the performance of the final game.

And lastly, because its alpha software, the performance the reviewer is getting might not be anything like the performance you will get, even if you have roughly the same hardware and software.

Well with games like Day Z the performance is sadly pretty consistent because it's using the old Arma hybrid engine but it's expected to have a major graphics engine update that will be there until final release. Rust also did a major graphics engine overhaul recently and that is what they will be using in their final build. There are tweaks obviously done after these overhauls but nothing so significant that they'd have to keep re-evaluating them each update.

That's why I think they could bring up the build number of the early access game they're testing at the time so people have an idea of which graphics card utilizes it best but with the understanding that performance can change. For example, games like Rust have a larger following than many retail games and I'm sure many people would like to know how it performs across a spectrum of hardware.

Depends on the game.

Do i want an indie sidescroller benchmarked? No, and no one should.

if fallout 4 was coming out on early access first? Yes.

depends on how "big" the game is and how much GRAPHICS it has. is it challenging to run?

if a intel hd4000 can play it, it doesn't need a [H] benchmark.

i wouldn't say benchmarking persay but maybe just a quick review with some basic performance numbers. doesn't have to be every early access game but maybe 1 or 2 popular ones each month. might be interesting or might just suck, dunno. i really don't pay attention to game releases much these days so forums/reviews are usually where i find my games now.

I'd be more interested in a review that tests performance of tier B games - not AAA blockbusters that are in every review but stuff that doesn't get 1000 of manhours of optimisations in drivers.

Nope. Just imagine Ark getting benchmarked. A POS unoptimized turd that because it's using the garbage unreal engine 4 will never even support SLI or CF.

Back