early 2000s case for sleeper/retro build.

my retro rig built in a 15-20yr(i forget) old lian li pc65 silver(see link). q6600, asrock somethin somethin 965 mb, 8gbs elpida ddr2 6400 memory, nvidia 8800gtx, evga 450bt psu, 250gb ssd, deepcool gammax cpu cooler, pair of blue led 80s in front and one in the back. 2 yate loon 120 lows blue led, win10 pro nvr updated. modded the top fan to a 120mm and added a 120mm to the door many moons ago. fucker surfs the web like a champ! this is what she looked like new
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112024
i just cant make myself get rid of it.

Chen ming is the Chinese manufacturer that made ALL of the millions upon millions of antec, thermaltake, chieftec, koolance etc etc cases back in the late 90s early 2000s. everyone slapped their case badge on em and they sold like hot cakes.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811125426
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811125436

mine was the super turbo big ass black koolance pc2- 901bw wcing monster. after i finished installing the highest rpm sunon 92 and 80mm fans i could find, she would flyyyy. the wcing system was complete shit but i loved that sob like it was my first born. they still have pics of it hahaha!
https://koolance.com/pc2-901bw-liquid-cooling-system-black

That's an awesome retro rig. I'd keep it until forever, especially if it will keeps going. (y)

Pretty interesting about Chen ming--doesn't surprise me at all though as how can a bunch of companies come up with the exact same design at the exact same time. :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, I remember water cooling was like, "WHAT?!?", and today you can get an aio for almost anything with incredible reliability. How far we've come...

i had the TT giant X case back in the day...I never new why I bought the thing.. hated the"X" from day one..
TT_X.jpg

2007~ replaced it with a Gigabyte mid tower that I got at Compusa going out of business sale.. much much happier with that case.. my wife's computer still resides in this case.

IMG_2467.JPG

I went from an Antec case, then buying the front face with silver stripe here
DSCF0278.jpg

Cold cathodes were definitely cool for the time.

Went to a few cases between :
This hideous thing....

IM002561.jpg

CM Stacker and Antec case side by side:
MyLoves.jpg

My CM 810 Stacker:
DSC00768.jpg

To Macs for work, and my gaming rig....

Office2018.jpg

Attachments

• MyLovely2018Build.jpg
    MyLovely2018Build.jpg
    507.4 KB · Views: 0
Mmmmm. My first ever build was in an Antec Lanboy.. Athlon XP 2800+ on an A7N8X Deluxe with a 9800 Pro.. those were the days.

I am after something similar.
I would like to get hold of a Chieftec Dragon.
Do these cases still get around?
Anyone got one they would like to sell?

I am after something similar.
I would like to get hold of a Chieftec Dragon.
Do these cases still get around?
Anyone got one they would like to sell?

I check craigslist and offer up from time to time to see whats out there, but these don't seem to be around anymore. I'd love to get one of the mid-tower versions of the dragon.

I check craigslist and offer up from time to time to see whats out there, but these don't seem to be around anymore. I'd love to get one of the mid-tower versions of the dragon.

Best i can find is
http://www.atic.ca/index.php?page=showall&man=95&cat=25

I cant even buy from there because they don't ship to Australia.

I found more on grooves land. But they never reply to your questions.
They have one with a picture of a Chieftec case with NO PSU, and in the description is for a 550w psu.
So it is confusing, i dont know if its the case or if its the power supply. and they wont answer and questions i ask.

Now i am just signing up to forums and asking around.
I dont care if its new/old black/beige/pink. anything will do! haha

The one I got was about to be thrown away and I actually missed another complete build that must have gotten tossed. :(

I've been holding on to an old aluminum Antec LanBoy for a decade now thinking that I'll find a use for it.

Last time I used it I was running heavily overclocked NetBurst Penitum 4's and Celerons with a Radeon 9800 Pro.

diagonal.jpg

I had one of the giant purple chieftec dragon cases that look just like the OP one. Thing weighed a ton. I gave it away for free with a power supply at a garage sale about 5 years ago. It was replaced by an Antec Sonata g1, which I had until maybe 9 months ago and finally tossed it (used it with a broken door and jacked front panel as a test/bench case for years). Once I went Sonata, everything else was too loud. Totally been into silent running since then.

I can't even remember what i did with my old chieftec. I had this one "http://www.chieftec.eu/en/marketing/archive/big-tower-detail.html" I don't remember selling it to anyone, i think I may have just tossed it in the bin. Who knows. I remember turning it on what like a jet plane starting up.
I have a friend who lives in the states, i think i am going to get her to order it for me then send it to me. Shipping will cost a fortune but i want the case so bad lol. I am considering getting x2 of them just so i have a spare lol.
I found some pictures of it recently, it is so embarrassing. No cable management, so messy. Looks so bad lol

Last edited:
I still have a Lian Li PC-60 and a PC-7. I have two retro rigs going in them. One is an Intel P III 800 Slot 1 on a Tyan 1854 motherboard. The other one is an AMD 2500+ on an Abit NF7-S motherboard. Both will be getting 3Dfx video cards.

Nice. I remember those Lian Lis.
Does anyone remember the Thermaltake Shark cases? Never had one but i used to think they looked pretty cool

I've been holding on to an old aluminum Antec LanBoy for a decade now thinking that I'll find a use for it.

Last time I used it I was running heavily overclocked NetBurst Penitum 4's and Celerons with a Radeon 9800 Pro.

View attachment 130902

ENVY. I still have mine from my first build but its all beat up. I saw a NIB one on ebay last year but I didn't pull trigger. *facepalm

I discovered my old ThermalTake Tsunami case whilst getting the house packed for moving. It's still somewhere in transit from Indiana to Arizona... :eek:

I have found 2 options for the chieftec case i have been looking for. one supplier wants $400 for the case and $100 shipping. (from uk)
second option is from canada, and i will see if my friend in the states can buy it then ship it to me. will cost roughly $300 if they post to her.

I wish i never got rid of my old case! lol never thought it would be so expensive to buy. There is one on youtube and they had links to buy them for $25 Canadian lol ()

I discovered my old ThermalTake Tsunami case whilst getting the house packed for moving. It's still somewhere in transit from Indiana to Arizona... :eek:

Yess i remember the thermaltake tsunami. i did a build for a friend over 10 years ago. Was a pretty good case to work with at the time. Not a fan of thermaltake anymore though. They feel so flimzy

11-125-268-01.jpg

I think i just ordered this one. Not sure if they will ship to australia, but i have mailed them and they wont answer, so i will find out soon

Cleaned out my classic old school, Cooler Master case. Put brand new fans in, new PSU, and did a full wash inside clean as a whistle.

Now my new system build is inside;.

i7-9700K
32GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaw's
MSI Z390 Mobo
500GB Samsung 560 SSD
750watt EVGA Platinum PSU

Kept the rest of the [H]ardware I already had that was running good.

Attachments

• 00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20181228205513358_COVER.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
Sorry meant to post a reply to your pics. Man the speakers LOL frigging loud I bet? Funny the early pics show regular computer speakers, then bam full on ear bleed setup.

Yeah used to go pretty hard. I bought those speakers after i finished school in 2008. Sold them earlier this year and bought a newer set of the logitech speakers lol. 10+ years ago i had the old logitech ones (z5500) and the new ones are the (z906) they go pretty good for the size they are. I need to get some new home theaters again some time too.

Cleaned out my classic old school, Cooler Master case. Put brand new fans in, new PSU, and did a full wash inside clean as a whistle.

Now my new system build is inside;.

i7-9700K
32GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaw's
MSI Z390 Mobo
500GB Samsung 560 SSD
750watt EVGA Platinum PSU

Kept the rest of the [H]ardware I already had that was running good.

looks good

Is your start bar up the top of the screen? haha

LOOOOL. i just noticed the old red Nokia and the roll up keyboard. THEN i spotted a Beige DVD drive, I am chasing one of those for my new build! hhaha

Oh god and look at alll the Icons an the desktop and at the startbar area hahaha oh lordy. AND I WAS ON MSN. damn i miss those days!

looks good

Is your start bar up the top of the screen? haha

Start bar at the top of the screen, isn't that the only way it comes?

I love my old Cooler Master case brought back to life. The minimal almost Frank Loyd Wright design is timeless

Back