Eagle 1 - Drone 0

HardOCP News

[H] News
Earlier this week a it was a fisherman taking down a drone. Before that it was a ram, then a hawk, followed by a kangaroo and a chimpanzee. Today, we have an eagle whipping some drone ass. :D

Interesting. Did it actually attack it or just fly into it? I would assume one of the propellers broke by the way it crashed so fast. Would that have likely injured the bird?

Yeah that looked like straight up attack mode the Eagle was doing, talons out ready to catch whatever the fuck that thing is and eat it.

When the robot apocalypse starts, we better have our animal army ready! It seems to be the only effective defense against the overlords.

Wait 'til you see one downed by the smaller predators. When i started flying helicopters, i thought i had something in my eye coz there were always dots behind my 450. Turns out it was being chased by insects.

Persistent little buggers.

Overall, these events aren't all that unusual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_Adb1HMXTM

You can hear the hawk(?) chasing this guy, and occasionally see the bird as he gets behind it.

No comments on how the eagle was being an asshole like the fisherman? I mean, it was a private public place? :D

Stupid drone pilot.

I hope the eagle is okay... I can see drone regulations becoming much tighter as more animals get injured.

Interesting. Did it actually attack it or just fly into it? I would assume one of the propellers broke by the way it crashed so fast. Would that have likely injured the bird?

The bird knocked off the camera that was filming (gopro or mobius most likely). You would have heard the quad attempting to right itself or at least stalled motors when it was on the ground. As for injuring the bird, yes its possible. You don't often see carbon props on smaller gopro sized crafts so killing the bird is rather unlikely but it could have been hit by the props in the legs/claws.

No comments on how the eagle was being an asshole like the fisherman? I mean, it was a private public place? :D

Stupid drone pilot.

There is nothing to show this drone pilot is piloting in an unsafe manner. It's likely he had no knowledge of the eagle and possible nest in the area. Wild animals will be wild animals. Are airline pilots stupid for suffering a bird strike?

There are lots of unlicensed pilots who do stupid things with their drones. For the short clip you can't call this pilot one way or the other.

Every time I have flown my drone, it attracts birds. I have a photo I took where there were about 10 birds circling it. Some will attract them either by noise or curiosity. I have had a hawk make passes at it but usually would back off when getting close to it. No collisions so far but I personally would rather not see or experience that.

Haha, here is a bird putting up good effort:
https://youtu.be/GN6DYLQzVww?t=22

I've seen a couple hawks start watchign my quad, usually if you just burst up in the air they realize its not something they're interested in and will leave it alone.

There is nothing to show this drone pilot is piloting in an unsafe manner. It's likely he had no knowledge of the eagle and possible nest in the area. Wild animals will be wild animals. Are airline pilots stupid for suffering a bird strike?

There are lots of unlicensed pilots who do stupid things with their drones. For the short clip you can't call this pilot one way or the other.

I guess you didnt see the fisherman vs drone clip....

Animals hate drones too. :D

I wonder how that hawk feels about Google Glass.

It sounds like either the bird is hurt at the end or the drone is trying to do something.

Animals hate drones too. :D

I wonder how that hawk feels about Google Glass.

That'd be a great concept for a game, if done right. Flying around terrorising people for their dip-shitti-ness, GTA style of course. Mission one: shit on bank exec's new car, everyday, udriving him to suicide :D

Every last one has been standard animal behavior, if you see a smaller animal than you that seems to move slow and is loud as fuck you will try to get it to STFU in the best case, in the worst, you will see if it is tasty.

Wow that went down fast lol. I think you can see that a blade cracked, unless that's just part of a leaf or something.

If that was my drone I would not even be mad, that's awesome footage to get. I'm assuming it's not totalled and can probably be fixed up.

How about drone pilot gets fined for harassing wildlife, possibly endangered species (actually I don't know if that particular Eagle is or not :D). I know in Hawaii if you "harass" a sea turtle they can fine you $1000, and that means just trying to swim after one.

How about drone pilot gets fined for harassing wildlife, possibly endangered species (actually I don't know if that particular Eagle is or not :D). I know in Hawaii if you "harass" a sea turtle they can fine you $1000, and that means just trying to swim after one.

Looked like a bald eagle or a golden eagle. Bald just made it off the endangered list gold still is.

As it seemed he was not intentionally looking for the bird unless he was in a preserve that does not allow drones I don't see an issue where he is running it.

I don't know where all this hate for them comes from i have always wanted a remote control airplane or chopper that was good. I can see the issue of privacy with the cameras but overall I don't get why people have raging jealousy hardons over drones...

every one of you if you owned one you would be doing similar things...

wonder if this would violate the protection act under the 'disturb' clause?

I don't know where all this hate for them comes from i have always wanted a remote control airplane or chopper that was good. I can see the issue of privacy with the cameras but overall I don't get why people have raging jealousy hardons over drones...

every one of you if you owned one you would be doing similar things...

Yep. PPL and animals hating on drones these days. An important difference from airplanes and helicopters is that damn near any idiot can fly a quadcopter. And many idiots do. I've been flying RC airplanes since the mid 70's and helicopters for about 3 years. Did the quadcopter thing last spring. By August I had learned to flip it and was bored with it.

Back