EA750w sufficient for my upgrade?

Jimi_Shuffler

[H]ard|Gawd
hey folks, I'm curious if the new rig I am currently building will work just fine on my current psu.

I currently have a Antec EA750 earthwatts

and I would like to run it with;

storage: 2x 750gb Spin point, 1x 1tb wd

video: 2x 5870 in CF

ram: 16gb DDR3 ripjaws (4x4gb)

cpu: FX-8120

mobo: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

optical: just a regular sata dvd burner

sound: asus xonar dg

usb devices: 1x webcam, 1x keyboard, 1x mouse, possibly an external HDD, and a card reader

misc: gaming headset

cooling: 2x 120mm led fans, 1x 140mm led fan and 1x 200mm led fan.

I do not plan on doing any overclocking at all.

Your current Antec should be fine but if you do run into any problems you might consider the below as a replacement that is Gold Rated:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182071

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=266
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guru Quote:

Recommended Power Supply

So here's my power supply recommendation:

Radeon HD 5870

The card requires you to have a 500 Watt power supply unit at minimum if you use it in a high-end system. That power supply needs to have (in total accumulated) at least 40 Amps available on the +12 volts rails.
Radeon HD 5870 CrossfireX

A second card requires you to add another 188 Watts. You need a 700+ Watt power supply unit if you use it in a high-end system. That power supply needs to have (in total accumulated) at least 55~60 Amps available on the +12 volts rails.
For each card that you add, add another 200 Watts as a safety margin.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Provided you dont plan on performimg any overclocking as mentioned you should be fine, otherwise consider a 850 watt.

Regards, ;)

Last edited:
thanks for the tips. still on the fence about doing the FX 8120, but 5870 CF is something I want to do for sure. I may just grab a 1000w psu later

750 watts is more than enough to power 5870 crossfire, and overclocking as far as you can go. You can do 580 SLI, which pulls ~50-100 watts more for each card than 5870s.

200 watts extra headroom is worthless advice. You only get that much headroom if you plan to add a third graphics card.

Back