I would really like this. But I've yet to see a well-done ranking system that really keeps similarly skilled players together. Are you aware of any such games? A lot of players aren't interested in competing in their own skill range. "newbie" servers are regularly populated by pros who enjoy being top-of-the-leaderboard. (Hey, who doesn't?)

In a lot of ways, I think persistent stats such as Battlelog (as cool as it is) defeats a lot of the fun. I really enjoyed CoD 1 where your stats extended as far as the round at hand and were reset for the next one. No one knew how good anyone else was, they just PLAYED the game. CoD 1 is the most fun I can ever recall having with an MP FPS.

With systems such as Battlelog, the actual gameplay is subservient to the RPG-esque stat system which must be carefully maintained, and even padded in most cases. It would be interesting to see how many people would just turn their stats off completely if such an option were given. I know I would.

SC2 ranking isn't too bad, but none of them are perfect. Yet.

It won't be that bad... seems someone got misunderstood on Gamescom, so there is no need for that much panic :D. Here's what Peter Moore, EA COO has to say on his blog:

"Today, most games are 'online' in some way, shape or form. Many games connect in online multiplayer modes; others include online services which allow for periodic content updates, sharing stats or achievements or connecting with friends; and others are games downloaded through digital delivery methods like Origin or the App Store. The reality is, the internet and social connectivity touches every one of our titles today - and has for several years.

"What that does NOT mean is that every game we ship will require an online connection. Many, if not most, of our games include single-player, offline modes that you can play entirely without an internet connection, if you so choose. We know that's something many of our players want, and we will continue to deliver it."

Source: http://www.ea.com/news/a-quick-clarification-on-online-games

It won't be that bad... seems someone got misunderstood on Gamescom, so there is no need for that much panic :D. Here's what Peter Moore, EA COO has to say on his blog:

"Today, most games are 'online' in some way, shape or form. Many games connect in online multiplayer modes; others include online services which allow for periodic content updates, sharing stats or achievements or connecting with friends; and others are games downloaded through digital delivery methods like Origin or the App Store. The reality is, the internet and social connectivity touches every one of our titles today - and has for several years.

"What that does NOT mean is that every game we ship will require an online connection. Many, if not most, of our games include single-player, offline modes that you can play entirely without an internet connection, if you so choose. We know that's something many of our players want, and we will continue to deliver it."

Source: http://www.ea.com/news/a-quick-clarification-on-online-games

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa EA back pedals and fumbles around trying to reword themselves?

aaam so surprised!!!!

Seriously they can't even manage to announce a game with apologizing and back pedaling. EA literally fuels the gaming media.

Last edited:
I know this is probably material for a separate thread, but I would still really like the option to disable stats entirely on a game like BF3. Blank Battlelog page, heck no rank icon is fine with me.

Back