EA Wants $10 to Unlock Online Multiplayer For Used Games

HardOCP News

[H] News
EA Sports has come up with a plan to charge people $10 for access to basic online services if they bought the game used.

If the code has already been redeemed (i.e. if you bought the game used) additional Online Passes will be available for (you guessed it!) ten dollars. Each game will include a seven-day free trial.

PC games are pretty much useless when used these days. It's lame.

At least they are giving you the option to pay a little (better than the coaster approach you end up with on the PC). I'm surprised that Microsoft would put up with this nonsense on XBL though.

Actually, this might be a good thing. Instead of paying full price, you only have to pay $10 for full multiplayer access. Now I can give EA even less money!

No, this is part of their fight against used game sales. If purchased new, the game would come with a code for the multiplayer part. When purchased used, obviously the code would be used already so the person would need to spend 10 extra dollars to have access to multiplayer.

Pretty large dick move on their part.

Don't forget about rental places like Gamefly - basically any EA games with this new system that you rent you won't be able to play online because they're certainly not going to give out a code for every rental.

Actually, this might be a good thing. Instead of paying full price, you only have to pay $10 for full multiplayer access. Now I can give EA even less money!

No, you have to still buy the game just as you always would, only with this new EA system you'd have to ALSO pay another $10 to go online. You can't just buy the online part for $10 and forgo buying the single player part.

darksonic is right, it's all about corp greed, DLC for $15? multiplayer in used games for $10?? whats next? patches for $5?

Their arguments as always, would be something like: "we are giving you options"... why dont you give us a quality game FULL game????... I miss the good ol'days

Hopefully it fails. Right now it's only EA Sports (a division I've never bought from), but I'd hate for it to spread to other divisions. Oh wait..who am I kidding, I pretty much just play Everquest anyway.

Don't forget about rental places like Gamefly - basically any EA games with this new system that you rent you won't be able to play online because they're certainly not going to give out a code for every rental.

I read that they will have '7 day trials' available as well.

But hey, here's a thought; how about pricing games a little more reasonably, and create games with content and quality that more people are willing to buy new?

Creating a product with a reasonable pricing model and sufficient quality and content to meet and increase customer demand? What a concept!

I am happy to see that the game developers are also taking the time to ruin console gaming too :)

Picked random game from gamespot used list, Battlefield, that I instantly recognized as a EA title.
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=73884
Only a $10 difference between new and old. If you have to pay an additional $10 to use it, I'd rather just buy new.

Yup, this is total BS. Basically, their exploiting the fact that we're "licensing" software instead of buying it. To be honest though, I don't really understand why they've been targeting the PC market with this. Used console games are just as much of a problem, if not more, yet there's nothing being done about that. My first thought was to combat piracy, but if you need a legit code before they'll send you a new one for $10, then that rules that out.

Actually, this looks awesome for families who game together. One copy and $10 per extra player. Much cheaper than one copy per player.

Actually, this looks awesome for families who game together. One copy and $10 per extra player. Much cheaper than one copy per player.

No, again, it requires the same thing as before (a game disc for each console). It's an ADDITIONAL $10 over what you already pay. It won't save you any money.

I somehow doubt they'd let that work. If they detect any of the previous CD Keys, if you will, active in multiplayer it would probably shutdown the extra keys generated from it. Not to mention, it might look a little suspicious if you bought 4 keys on top of that in a short time span from the previous key.

Might work, who knows.

But hey, here's a thought; how about pricing games a little more reasonably, and create games with content and quality that more people are willing to buy new?

Creating a product with a reasonable pricing model and sufficient quality and content to meet and increase customer demand? What a concept!
Dare to dream. :)

Nowadays, if it's not on Steam, I won't even look at it. If it is, I'll wait for a sale. You can get used prices on new software and bargain bin prices on software a few months old.

Well publishers and developers have tried to make illegal the sales of used games by Gamestop because they're not profiting from it. Since Gamestop is allowed to continue sales of used games with no regards to developers, they'd have to come up with another way to make money.

You'd still save a bit of money if you bought a $20 used game and pay $10 to activate it over paying $69 for a brand new copy. So I can't really complain.

I have a feeling this is gonna be a headache for families. If they link the code with your gamertag then you run into a problem where someone else in the family won't be able to get online cause the code is linked to your tag. Unless they work it like normal DLC and it is linked to your console but this also has its own issues. Say I buy Madden 2011 and use the code on my system, my son wants to play at his mom's house well guess what he won't be able to get online from her place cause the code is linked to my 360. Its the same problem with DLC and game saves, for example you play Mass Effect 2 and you have some DLC like the Inferno Armor. Then you go to your friends house with your save and he has ME2 but doesn't have the Inferno Armor your game save won't work cause there is missing content. Its all one big pain in the ass.

I have a feeling this is gonna be a headache for families. If they link the code with your gamertag then you run into a problem where someone else in the family won't be able to get online cause the code is linked to your tag. Unless they work it like normal DLC and it is linked to your console but this also has its own issues. Say I buy Madden 2011 and use the code on my system, my son wants to play at his mom's house well guess what he won't be able to get online from her place cause the code is linked to my 360. Its the same problem with DLC and game saves, for example you play Mass Effect 2 and you have some DLC like the Inferno Armor. Then you go to your friends house with your save and he has ME2 but doesn't have the Inferno Armor your game save won't work cause there is missing content. Its all one big pain in the ass.

Wouldn't signing in with your gamertag at your friend's house make the system know you're the legit owner of the game anyways and download the contents?

Yup, this is total BS. Basically, their exploiting the fact that we're "licensing" software instead of buying it. To be honest though, I don't really understand why they've been targeting the PC market with this. Used console games are just as much of a problem, if not more, yet there's nothing being done about that. My first thought was to combat piracy, but if you need a legit code before they'll send you a new one for $10, then that rules that out.

Actually what they're doing is attacking a business that is attacking them, namely used games. In the same way they can claim piracy hurts their sales, the used game market does so as well in a much more visible and legal way. Since every used game represents a game that someone else didn't pay them money for, it's really not that far of a stretch to say they want to get a piece of the pie. Since there's no way they can get $5 or whatever for every sale from gamestop they do the next best thing, simply charge for multiplayer on used games.

If multiplayer is a big thing with a game, I can see it really impacting the gamestops of the world as far as their business model, you as a consumer however might actually save money in the long run since as mentioned if it's only $10 less you might as well buy new, so they most likely would sell used games that are multiplayer for cheaper because no one is buying them.

I really don't blame EA for this especially for games that use any sort of service they provide (i.e. host servers, etc) they still have to pay to maintain that service and if people are not providing funds for it, than is it really fair to use it? This isn't multiplayer like LAN play, or playing on your own network. The other option is to simply have a pay service like WoW that charges monthly then who cares if its used or not.

Did the article specifically state PC or Console gaming? or how they are going to enforce it? I understand how it would work with PC gaming, as all EA games require you to log into their shitty server, but how will this work with services like XBL?

This could work out for the less scrupulous as the single player would be "free" and 10 bucks gets you online

Wouldn't signing in with your gamertag at your friend's house make the system know you're the legit owner of the game anyways and download the contents?

This works if your gamertag is the only one on the console and/or you're the only one that plays that game. Like my Mass Effect 2 example I bought ME2 got all kinds of pre-order bonus stuff popped it into my 360 installed and played. My son played wanted to take the game to his moms place (he has his own 360 there) and his game saves were useless cause he didn't have the DLC on his system. Since the DLC was instalelled under my gamertag he couldn't do what you suggested, however I could.

You also run into a problem if you play at a friend's house they have DLC you don't, your save file will work at his house no problem but if you save your game at his place your save becomes useless. It is a headache cause I have gone through it as well as my son.

Well publishers and developers have tried to make illegal the sales of used games by Gamestop because they're not profiting from it. Since Gamestop is allowed to continue sales of used games with no regards to developers, they'd have to come up with another way to make money.

You'd still save a bit of money if you bought a $20 used game and pay $10 to activate it over paying $69 for a brand new copy. So I can't really complain.

You're not going to find a used copy of a recently released game that is over 60% off, nor are you going to find an older game that still costs $70.

With that said, fuck this bullshit and fuck EA. I've hated non-free DLC and "micropayments" since their inceptions, while you had others saying it was a cool thing. It was so glaringly obvious where it was headed and anyone who didn't expect to get ripped off by greedy corporations deserves this, quite frankly. The idea that they call your game a license, yet refuse to let you transfer it to a new owner after you relinquish the disc is robbery.

Welcome to the future, where everything that rips you off is a "Good Thing"™. What, don't you like Choice™?

This could work out for the less scrupulous as the single player would be "free" and 10 bucks gets you online

You'd still need a legit disc and console to be safe from bans. Anyone already using pirated games wouldn't benefit from this, as far as I know.

You're not going to find a used copy of a recently released game that is over 60% off, nor are you going to find an older game that still costs $70.

With that said, fuck this bullshit and fuck EA. I've hated non-free DLC and "micropayments" since their inceptions, while you had others saying it was a cool thing. It was so glaringly obvious where it was headed and anyone who didn't expect to get ripped off by greedy corporations deserves this, quite frankly. The idea that they call your game a license, yet refuse to let you transfer it to a new owner after you relinquish the disc is robbery.

Welcome to the future, where everything that rips you off is a "Good Thing"™. What, don't you like Choice™?

You'd still need a legit disc and console to be safe from bans. Anyone already using pirated games wouldn't benefit from this, as far as I know.

Why "fuck EA"? Why not "fuck Gamestop and any other game stores that drove developers and publishers to create DRM and find other ways to make a profit"?

Game developers and publishers acknowledged a thousand times already that DRM wasn't meant to curb pirates. Pirates always find a way around it. DRM is the result of stores like Gamestop.

If I make a game and find out that I'm not selling multiple copies to 5 people because those 5 people are reselling them to each other, I'm out 80% of my profit.

what next? I sell my TV and have to give samsung $250 for the next guy to turn it on?

Fucking ludicrous.

What these companies don't realize is they're just making some people stop buying games. I used to buy roughly 4 games a month. This year, I've bought supreme commander 2 and battlefield BC2. I used to buy a game "just because" but now i only buy blockbusters... I plan on buying StarCraft 2 and Diablo 3 this year, and thats about it...

what next? I sell my TV and have to give samsung $250 for the next guy to turn it on?

Fucking ludicrous.

What these companies don't realize is they're just making some people stop buying games. I used to buy roughly 4 games a month. This year, I've bought supreme commander 2 and battlefield BC2. I used to buy a game "just because" but now i only buy blockbusters... I plan on buying StarCraft 2 and Diablo 3 this year, and thats about it...

Whew, for a second there I was afraid someone would use car analogies instead of television. :rolleyes:

Why "fuck EA"? Why not "fuck Gamestop and any other game stores that drove developers and publishers to create DRM and find other ways to make a profit"?

Game developers and publishers acknowledged a thousand times already that DRM wasn't meant to curb pirates. Pirates always find a way around it. DRM is the result of stores like Gamestop.

If I make a game and find out that I'm not selling multiple copies to 5 people because those 5 people are reselling them to each other, I'm out 80% of my profit.

By that logic it would be like every time I buy a car I would not only have to pay the person I am getting the car but also all the people that owned it before them. It would be just an other tax that makes me by few cars in the long run.

I only game on PC and buy off steam so this is already gone to me anyway. But one of the advantages I saw with Coucels was the ability to buy games that would other wise sat on a shelf. Just like the Steam sales where you can pick up games for cheap the developers should use this as an oprotunity to promote their brand and sell me on there next project.

So all these game publishers are just more greedy as they develop and profit off of games. The industry hasn't matured, they're still profiting like crazy. Putting DRM doesn't drive innovation creativity.

I'm glad you're not making games then. Gamers will support you if you put out games at a reasonable price. Don't you remember sharing or trading games with your friends? So you're saying this should not be allowed now? That's like saying you have a movie you purchased, and you're not allowed to show it to anyone besides you -- not your wife, not your kids, just you. Or you purchased a record/cassette/dvd and now it's worth a fortune because it's a collector's item -- BUT you can't sell it. Give me a break! You purchased a license for you to use the software, you should be able to give up that license and hand it to someone else. Which is why the authenticity is the package you purchased. If they can figure out how to handle DRM transfer, then that's cool -- but as of right now. I'd have to say that this is stupid, and that's why I refused to download/purchase music online and just buy a physical media.

Fucking ludicrous.

Yep, and when you stop buying games do they realize that it's their constant pushing for more and more money that caused it? Nope. They immediately say "Oh, it must be piracy I bet!"

Fucking ludicrous.

I would recommend buying indie games and not supporting the big companies. I did buy BC2 but also got Mount and Blade: Warband.

If they are going this route and obviously "licensing" games to people, why can't I get a digital download cheaper than the retail box copy? Bandwidth cost less than printing s physical copy and putting retail markup on it. If they went entirely digital distribution there wouldn't be any issues with used media being resold.

Actually what they're doing is attacking a business that is attacking them, namely used games. In the same way they can claim piracy hurts their sales, the used game market does so as well in a much more visible and legal way. Since every used game represents a game that someone else didn't pay them money for, it's really not that far of a stretch to say they want to get a piece of the pie. Since there's no way they can get $5 or whatever for every sale from gamestop they do the next best thing, simply charge for multiplayer on used games.

If multiplayer is a big thing with a game, I can see it really impacting the gamestops of the world as far as their business model, you as a consumer however might actually save money in the long run since as mentioned if it's only $10 less you might as well buy new, so they most likely would sell used games that are multiplayer for cheaper because no one is buying them.

I really don't blame EA for this especially for games that use any sort of service they provide (i.e. host servers, etc) they still have to pay to maintain that service and if people are not providing funds for it, than is it really fair to use it? This isn't multiplayer like LAN play, or playing on your own network. The other option is to simply have a pay service like WoW that charges monthly then who cares if its used or not.

If you see the people that trade in their games you'll see them bring in 3-4 games, trade them in, and then immediately take that credit and buy a new game. The game company is making money off that new sale. Meanwhile, you have the morally questionable people who buy used copies, who might otherwise be pirating the game altogether if it wasn't for the fact they wanted to play online.

You're cutting off both that person who wants to trade in their games because their trade in value will be severely diminished by this, and you're cutting off those people who were willing to buy the used games (thereby providing the money for that 1st guy to buy a new copy) purely so they could play online.

People pay Microsoft $50 a year to handle the backend networking of online play. If EA wants to make their own servers so they can do things like serve advertisements and cross promote more then that's their own decision. They don't have to do that though, and it isn't an excuse to demand another $10 for people to use what they're already bought.

darksonic is right, it's all about corp greed, DLC for $15? multiplayer in used games for $10?? whats next? patches for $5?

Their arguments as always, would be something like: "we are giving you options"... why dont you give us a quality game FULL game????... I miss the good ol'days

EA doing this does not surprise me.

They are still the same old Evil Empire, they have gone from crushing studios, to crushing fans.

So all these game publishers are just more greedy as they develop and profit off of games. The industry hasn't matured, they're still profiting like crazy. Putting DRM doesn't drive innovation creativity.

I'm glad you're not making games then. Gamers will support you if you put out games at a reasonable price. Don't you remember sharing or trading games with your friends? So you're saying this should not be allowed now? That's like saying you have a movie you purchased, and you're not allowed to show it to anyone besides you -- not your wife, not your kids, just you. Or you purchased a record/cassette/dvd and now it's worth a fortune because it's a collector's item -- BUT you can't sell it. Give me a break! You purchased a license for you to use the software, you should be able to give up that license and hand it to someone else. Which is why the authenticity is the package you purchased. If they can figure out how to handle DRM transfer, then that's cool -- but as of right now. I'd have to say that this is stupid, and that's why I refused to download/purchase music online and just buy a physical media.

Except in all of your examples, you're sharing your media with family and friends. Of course I did too.

In this situation however, it's not sharing, and it's not with family members and friends. It's reselling and reselling again for profit to people you'll never know. It's not even remotely the same thing.

Lawsuit, Class Action, coming soon to a Lawyer near you.

Back