EA Unwittingly Handed Out Free Games Yesterday

HardOCP News

[H] News
I have a funny feeling that, since this screw-up involves EA, no one will really care that people got a bunch of games for free.

A single post on a gaming forum that included a discount code for $20 worth of software from EA's online store sparked a downloading spree, much to the delight of Reddit users after the code made its way to the popular link aggregation site. Not only could the code be used multiple times by multiple users, but due to its $20 tag, 44 games priced $19.99 or lower could be downloaded for free.

People who got the free games ARE PIRATES!!!!!!!!! And should be put on the blocked and raped while the ax comes down!

I actually did the stupid survey and now i cant use my code. fuck the freeloaders and fuck EA for wasting my time.

I couldn't even find the survey link, wanted to do it after using the code to get Darkspore.

*walks away slowly, whistling an airy tune while holding 13 games in his arms*

couldnt they remove everyone's copy that used the code to get a game for free?

I actually did the stupid survey and now i cant use my code. fuck the freeloaders and fuck EA for wasting my time.

Contact EA, then. Don't spout some stupid bullshit like "fuck the freeloaders"... :rolleyes:

It's EA's fuckup.

couldnt they remove everyone's copy that used the code to get a game for free?

Probably, but there may be a small handfull that actually believed it was free, who then will get pissed off and never buy another EA game, so my bet is that EA will just let it be.

Can you picture the extreme shitstorm that would create?

Ubisoft just did that not too long ago, apparently. Accidentally offered a game for free and then revoked it saying "whoops, we made a pricing mistake so we have to revoke your key". I guess people got a 50% off coupon but, still.

That's true, don't forget that EA probably has a whole bunch more people with Origin accounts now, which is not so bad given the gaming community's reception to the service. It's not so bad for me since I already have an account and it's ok, but I know there were and still are holdouts.

Contact EA, then. Don't spout some stupid bullshit like "fuck the freeloaders"... :rolleyes:

It's EA's fuckup.

The people knowingly taking advantage of a code that was supposed to only be given to certain people ARE just as much to blame as EA. They stole from them. I was not able to get what I was entitled to due to them abusing a flaw in EA's system. If you can't see how obvious this is, you are prolly one of the bullshit freeloaders yourself.

Haha, I actually have a friend how got that survey, and of course the $20 credit. I don't use origin much, but wish I had gotten that survey :(.

The people knowingly taking advantage of a code that was supposed to only be given to certain people ARE just as much to blame as EA. They stole from them. I was not able to get what I was entitled to due to them abusing a flaw in EA's system. If you can't see how obvious this is, you are prolly one of the bullshit freeloaders yourself.

Sucks for you then, I guess. You can do one of two things:

1) Actually do something about it by contacting EA and get your coupon code since you did the survey.

2) Whine and cry about it some more.

Hopefully, if the second option, you do it elsewhere.

The only thing I got from that coupon was a game that I already own but know I will be able to download the game instead of installing it with 3 cd's.

The only thing I got from that coupon was a game that I already own but know I will be able to download the game instead of installing it with 3 cd's.

*now.

And I agree with the above, its not our fault EA fucked up.

knowing how bad origin is i'd rather stay away

Can someone tell me whats so bad about Origin?

I play BF3 regularly, beyond a very quick auto login, I actually never have to to touch the interface, and beyond the auto login splash, it's transparent.

Hell I can get into BF3 faster than I could any steam game I have. And my download speeds are faster to Origin than to Steam servers. Don't get me wrong, I love steam, but knowing how bad origin is? Really?

This "deal" was posted on slick deals about 3 days ago. Initially it was live and broken beyond belief allowing people to stack up multiple games on one transaction. It was then taken off line and "fixed" allowing only one per account, then people starting making multiple accounts and just spamming it to get more and more games.

Dunno why Reddit getting it is any more of a news story then the initial people that jumped at it a day prior.

http://slickdeals.net/f/5325376-Dea...ore-from-a-short-survey-YMMV-check-your-email

I bet people are just mad that they couldn't get in on the deal.

I'm good actually. Just wanted to let others know that there was an actual valid way to get this deal but it wasn't 100% EA's fault.

"I didn't do anything wrong. If the store owner didn't want me to take his stuff, he shouldn't have left the door unlocked. It's all HIS fault!"

Rationalization is a helluva drug.

I'm good actually. Just wanted to let others know that there was an actual valid way to get this deal but it wasn't 100% EA's fault.

"I didn't do anything wrong. If the store owner didn't want me to take his stuff, he shouldn't have left the door unlocked. It's all HIS fault!"

Rationalization is a helluva drug.

Actually, if the store owner processes your transaction at the register and then gives you a receipt for your $0.00 purchase... yea its free and a legal transaction. All these people completed EA's checkout process. EA could have revoked the deal but they decided to let it go as it was their mistake.

Nothing illegal or immoral happened here. Business is business and all these people make legal purchases and the company selling the product agrees.

I actually received the survey, who knows why since EA can die in their own piss IMO and had the opportunity to get free games once I saw the slickdeal thread, but even free, it wasn't a good deal.

Can someone tell me whats so bad about Origin?

I play BF3 regularly, beyond a very quick auto login, I actually never have to to touch the interface, and beyond the auto login splash, it's transparent.

Hell I can get into BF3 faster than I could any steam game I have. And my download speeds are faster to Origin than to Steam servers. Don't get me wrong, I love steam, but knowing how bad origin is? Really?

Exactly, everyone just copies everyone elses bullshit. Once someone says something is bad you get the rest of the people who jump on it because they think it is awful as well.

You guys need to realize something, this shit is all just for PC games. All these games pretty much have zero resale value and you couldn't pay me money to play ME1/2 on PC, even with the Xbox controller.

There is such a minority out there that has a badass computer in their living room with a controller connected to it. Hell I would rather just buy the disc copies.

So for EA it isn't going to affect the Xbox/PS3 copies of these games.

You guys need to realize something, this shit is all just for PC games. All these games pretty much have zero resale value and you couldn't pay me money to play ME1/2 on PC, even with the Xbox controller.

There is such a minority out there that has a badass computer in their living room with a controller connected to it. Hell I would rather just buy the disc copies.

I think the whole ecosystem of Console players and PC players is very different these days. Your statement's hints at this. Physical media is silly, and beyond slow.

There's a pretty big market of people trading Steam Games, for other items, be it other games, or real money. All digital.

With that said, I picked up Spore and Mirrors Edge. Empire Total War was also on the list of $19.99 and under, but I already own it. But anybody that got in on that, well that game is well worth the price of free, or anything there above including MSRP

knowing how bad origin is i'd rather stay away
What is it with some of you and this hate towards EA's Origin software? The software works, it allows me to manage my games (install, uninstall, purchase, etc), and it hasn't failed to get the f'k out of the way when I launch a game. No issues here.

As far as the OP is concerned, someone got free games, yay! You can rationalize the situation all you want but I would be pissed (even if only for a very very short while) if I had to jump through hoops to use a coupon code because it was raped by slickdeals/reddit/whatever users being greedy. Oh well, such is the internet.

Yes this is all for PC games. So what? What does having a PC in the living room with a controller connected to it have to do with anything?

Sorry but after having played ME2 for the XBOX 360, I can't agree with you. I found that experience painful. I just can't do shooters on consoles because of the controller being so imprecise and slow. The power wheel sucks too. I can use hot keys on the PC version or use the mouse and shift menu as you would the wheel anyway. The PC versions may be ports but they look better on a PC monitor and the keyboard and mouse worked just fine. Not to mention we can mod our games and improve the graphics. Something that can't be done as easily (if at all) on the console versions.

People who got the free games ARE PIRATES!!!!!!!!! And should be put on the blocked and raped while the ax comes down!

Well the good news is that most of those pimply-faced basement dwellers will finally know what sex feels like.

I think ploys like this are designed to get people who have refused to do so up until now, to use Origin.

I agree. I don't think they anticipated the glitch. But once they saw the amount of traffic I think they milked it just like everyone that milked the free games.

Back