EA to cannibalize THQ IP's.

I could see EA and WB getting into a bidding war over Volition and maybe Relic. I don't see EA being too interested in anything else THQ has. Speaking of which, what exactly does THQ even have as far as IPs go? The only recent things they have are COH, the 40k license, SR3, and Darksiders. Homefront is owned by Crytek, WWE is likely going to pull THQ's license for their games so that doesn't really seem to leave them much of value.

oh fuck, first they raped WestWood Studios and left C&C for dead, now they're after Company of Heroes :(

MichaelScottNOOOO.gif

Eh. I'm betting EA is only interested in the Saints Row franchise personally. I'm sure WB is just looking for the best bang for their buck.

I'm sure WB is just looking for the best bang for their buck.

Possibly. WB is becoming a very interesting publisher. Any studio or IP they pick up will be worth watching. Wouldn't be surprised if they went after Vigil and the Darksiders IP.

Possibly. WB is becoming a very interesting publisher. Any studio or IP they pick up will be worth watching. Wouldn't be surprised if they went after Vigil and the Darksiders IP.

Darksiders: Arkham City?

I could see EA and WB getting into a bidding war over Volition and maybe Relic. I don't see EA being too interested in anything else THQ has. Speaking of which, what exactly does THQ even have as far as IPs go? The only recent things they have are COH, the 40k license, SR3, and Darksiders. Homefront is owned by Crytek, WWE is likely going to pull THQ's license for their games so that doesn't really seem to leave them much of value.

Metro Last Light...

EA probably wants Homefront as well, so it can shit out even more military shooters.

So much for playing THQ games on Steam if that happens.

I wish someone would just demolish EA.

Like a dummy and against my better judgment I preordered COH2. If it ends up an Origin-only title, there will be trouble.

crytek is making homefront 2. improvement since the first was shit...still under EA though...

oh fuck, first they raped WestWood Studios and left C&C for dead, now they're after Company of Heroes :(

Thats story is always repeated but makes no sense. Westwood sold themselves, then Westwoods main employees all left once they heard of the sale, leaving it as a husk not capable of doing anything. So actually, it's more Westwood screwed EA. :p

Westwood: "Hey want to buy my collection of expensive action figures?"
EA: "Sure here's some millions'
Westwood: "Quick, dude take all the expensive ones and run!"
Dude: "hehe"
Westwood: "hehe"
EA: "What the fuck, theeres nothing here"
Westwood: "A deals a deal fucker!"

There are other examples, but the Westwood one is the worst ever.

fuck fuck fuck!

really wanted COH2

Does it sadden anybody else that Darksiders II and Saints Row III can come out, both good games, and have their publisher file for chapter 11?

Games industry is not looking healthy.

Does it sadden anybody else that Darksiders II and Saints Row III can come out, both good games, and have their publisher file for chapter 11?

It as the crappy Udraw tablet they made. They risked lots of money on a drawing tablet for Wii and other consoles and it didn't sell so well. The other games all seem to have done fine, it was just poor management. :(

I thought someone was supposed to purchase THQ. Now they are going to sell off the IP instead :(
I want Metro and COH

I seriously hope EA stays away from these.

THQ also has the UFC license which a pretty big one. but that'll probably go to some one else since the UFC has a beef with EA.

It's an incredibly lucrative industry to be in, but not without a good marketing budget and with poor leadership. That can work out for indie companies, assuming they can produce solid titles, but it doesn't work for AAA game publishers. THQ never did seem to focus on leading demographics, and that's just a bad business decision for a major industry player.

I obviously don't like the idea of EA becoming any larger. Hopefully Bethesda can continue to do well and become a more substantial player the industry, if only to give EA a little bit more to worry about. Bethesda isn't perfect, but they seem to be doing a better job of things than anyone else in the industry right now, at least from a consumer perspective.

THQ also has the UFC license which a pretty big one. but that'll probably go to some one else since the UFC has a beef with EA.

Dana and EA are already working together now that THQ is down for the count. Here is the official announcement a while back.

http://www.easports.com/news/article/ufc-developed-fight-night-team-ea-canada

Honestly, while EA has rubbed me the wrong way a few years back, I still enjoy games released by them (or whomever they bought out :rolleyes:) Hell, I even use Origin. Looking forward to UFC 4. Hopefully it will be just as good or better than UFC3.

License was already sold to EA a while ago.

I thought someone was supposed to purchase THQ. Now they are going to sell off the IP instead :(

Judge intervened and voided the transaction on behalf of the creditors.

I obviously don't like the idea of EA becoming any larger. Hopefully Bethesda can continue to do well and become a more substantial player the industry, if only to give EA a little bit more to worry about. Bethesda isn't perfect, but they seem to be doing a better job of things than anyone else in the industry right now, at least from a consumer perspective.

Something interesting to follow would be how much money EA actually has to spend on IP. The past 3-4 years have been brutal on them (think they lost around $2.5billion) and they have not fared well. IMO the CEO might try to push a purchase but I ultimately think EAs current CEO won't have his job come January 2014.

Considering how poorly THQ did with these IP's I honestly don't see how EA , its fucked in the head cousin could do a lot worse.

We'll just wait and see.

Fuck EA.

They destroyed Westwood and killed E&B. :mad: Never forget. Never forgive.

Like THQ would not ruin those IPs themselves.... First they allowed Soulstorm to ruin all good feelings people had after Dark Crusade, then they changed Dawn of War from good and proper RTS into a pisspoor tactical game and finally they released Space Marine.

Goodbye THQ I won't miss you

I'm so disillusioned. :(

Go buy BF3 premium and i'm sure you'll be forgiven. :D

Like THQ would not ruin those IPs themselves.... First they allowed Soulstorm to ruin all good feelings people had after Dark Crusade, then they changed Dawn of War from good and proper RTS into a pisspoor tactical game and finally they released Space Marine.

Goodbye THQ I won't miss you

Soulstorm wasn't so bad, it's just people got all weird about it because the original makers didn't do it. DoW2 would have probably been better if it wasn't called DoW, but the actual game was decent, and the storymode was much better than DoW. It' wasn't really a DoW title however. But the co-op was great and the last stand mode is fine. One thing that THQ suck at (this is the same with Space Marine) is that their multiplayer browsers suck terribly.

Space marine was a great game, and actually more or less captured the atmopsohere of the games. It wasn't perfect (and they never released the co-op mode), but it is a fine singleplayer and mostly great multiplayer (the multi vs isn't so good, but the last stand vs CPU mode is fun, even if the match browser is terrible). :D

Well excluding EA, the alternatives aren't great:

1. Activision: Does everything cheaply. +1s everything. "Lowest common denominator", mostly crap games.
  2. Bethesda: Buggy bug bug. Only has 2 ideas and does neither of them perfectly. Everything is Xbox exclusive, but has mods... Mostly good though buggy titles, with the occasional absolute PoS.
  3. Blizzard: Blizzard already ripped off the licences THQ have, so you know. :D
  4. Capcom: DLC overload. Has a wide variety of game quality.
  5. Namco: Has done GW licences before, but isn't really a PC developer. Most games are ok/good.
  6. Sega: Does strategy games and quite a few PC titles. Has a fairly wide range of titles.
  7. Square Enix: Does a wide range too. Games can be terrible though and doesn't do strategy.
  8. Ubisoft: Terrible DRM. They can do decent PC ports however. Loves the addons and +1ing everything (though thats true of THQ). Most games are more than less ok.
  9. Valve: Dated graphics, take 300 years to release anything, everything uses that trash DX8 engine, their only games are corridor FPS with 2 hours playtime then multiplayer, and have never done a RTS etc. All Valve games have crap communities and idiotmorons playing them. Mostly overhyped mediocre games with the occasional good release.
  10. Warner Brothers: Can do decent PC games, mostly good games with a few exceptions, though they don't really release that many, nor have they done strategy.

6 is probably the best fit...but none of them are great. :D

I see lots of EA hate. EA has put out some good games and some shitty games.

The problem with EA is when they make a bad game, its not like RAGE bad or Dead Island bad which you could still pick up at a discount later on and get something out of it.

EA's bad range from turning Sim City into what's practically a MMO game, to making C&C a F2P game. The only thing worst than C&C4 is a F2P version. What a disappointment that was for those of us who was hoping for a proper Generals sequel.

1. Activision: Does everything cheaply. +1s everything. "Lowest common denominator", mostly crap games.
  2. Bethesda: Buggy bug bug. Only has 2 ideas and does neither of them perfectly. Everything is Xbox exclusive, but has mods... Mostly good though buggy titles, with the occasional absolute PoS.
  5. Namco: Has done GW licences before, but isn't really a PC developer. Most games are ok/good.
  6. Sega: Does strategy games and quite a few PC titles. Has a fairly wide range of titles.
  7. Square Enix: Does a wide range too. Games can be terrible though and doesn't do strategy.
  8. Ubisoft: Terrible DRM. They can do decent PC ports however. Loves the addons and +1ing everything (though thats true of THQ). Most games are more than less ok.
  9. Valve: Dated graphics, take 300 years to release anything, everything uses that trash DX8 engine, their only games are corridor FPS with 2 hours playtime then multiplayer, and have never done a RTS etc. All Valve games have crap communities and idiotmorons playing them. Mostly overhyped mediocre games with the occasional good release.
  10. Warner Brothers: Can do decent PC games, mostly good games with a few exceptions, though they don't really release that many, nor have they done strategy.

1. Yep.
2. Bethesda Softworks would be the one purchasing games and studios. Bethesda Game Studios is the development side of the company, they likely wouldn't have anything to do with it. Let's not forgot Bethesda owns Arkane and they published Dishonored.
3. Blizzard doesn't buy IPs or studios anyway.
4. They are trying to push more into the western market but I wouldn't expect them to get into the bidding.
5. Yep.
6. Sega is not doing so hot themselves right now, they probably can't afford much.
7. SE is also not doing the best but I could see them maybe trying to grab something cheap. SE has shown to be willing to expand into other genres and markets, especially as they own Eidos.
8. By horrible DRM you mean a single activation that doesn't require an internet connection after that?
9. Don't see Valve caring at all.
10. Just because they haven't done strategy yet doesn't mean they're not willing to. They seem to like swooping in and picking up cheap studios with some potential.

Your list is based solely on internal studios doing one specific genre, but it's more than IPs up for sale. All of THQ's assets are up for bidding, that includes the studios. Publishers are likely to look at picking up an entire development studio and all of their IPs together depending on the price.

Actually Sqare Enix done the strategy games on PC. It was Order of war - ww2 RTS. Quite hard and challenging, but also very fun.

Though, from the companies you mentioned, I'd most love Sega to get the IP and make Total War:WH40k :) and hopefully it won't be Activision. It would be like making Horus an Emperor :)

SR3 was terrible. I know i'm the minority here, but SR2 and SR3 were horrible in comparison to SR1.

The only thing I think THQ has worth anything is Company of Heroes and even then Men of War is/was better.

I'm actually for this move if EA can come through and scoop them up.

Well, the game industry has focused too much on creating blockbusters, and its killing the small studios one by one. Any FPS? Compared to CoD. And so on for every type of game.

You are seeing what is normal for a Capitalist economy: The big eating the small.

Back