EA Stock Plummets by $21 Billion as Battlefield V Sales Disappoint

EA is like the opposite of King Midas. Everything EA touches turns to shit.

It is sad to see what has become of EA (and Activision). I'm old enough to fondly remember Activision being a new studio with some cool releases for the Atari 2600. And EA? How many here are old enough to remember when they were the innovative, new kid on the block with the rave reviews? Games like Dr. J vs Larry Bird, Adventure Construction Set, Bard's Tale - and the list goes on and on.

Now, both companies are more interested in milking every last penny out of gamers than taking chances on innovative new games. It is really a sad state. I remember the video game crash of 1983 very well and am shocked we haven't had another given the "rinse and repeat" formula used by the major studios. Over the last couple of years, I've seriously thought about giving up on modern gaming and returning to classical and retro gaming.

Now get off my lawn!

Wonder if the Battlefield franchise will get shelved at some point like Medal of Honor did.
Highly unlikely as BF1 was the best selling BF game to date.
The problem with BF5 is horrible marketing, too little content and too many game modes. I don't know why Dice is trying to please everybody with their different game modes as it just splits up the playerbase and most of these game modes don't even get played. At most they should have a game mode rotation once a week.

I really enjoy playing battlefield with family and friends, but Dice have made some terrible decisions with this release and that'll cost them.

I have been in since the Alpha of BFV. I wasn't that happy about it, but I did bite the bullet and buy it. When I started playing I just kept getting killed right after spawning and by people in cover you could not spot. I learn now that the spotting model changed and the TTK was futzed. I may go back and I may not. I'll probably try it over Christmas before I give it up or not. I prefer BF4 and BF1, although BF2142 was my favourite.

I remember you guys, both secon and athf! I was in kc|w (cal bf season 5 finalist) and played either season 6 or 7 with Bucktoof. Hung out a lot on the Wisconsin Death Trip server. I went by FumigaTor back then... big name change, I know. :)

View attachment 129593

Ohhhhh the memories! Those were the days for sure :D Ever make it to Louisville for any LW/MML events back then? The clan handle is ringing an old bell

Reactions: Fumz
like this
Easy for me to chill about as i never played any BF game, as none of them ( too ) have been the kind of FPS game i want to spend time on.
1: i cant bother with choosing a class of player, or outfitting my player like in CS
2: i cant be bothered with other players healing me if my health bar are down or me healing them, either i find some health that spawn on the map or there are none of that stuff.
3: i cant bother with games that you have to go up thru ranks to get new features ASO
4: i cant bother with games that just have the same handful of maps, many of which are probably parts of a single player map, i mean come on ? this is 2019 where are the random maps that really would facilitate team-play and realism better than any physics mechanism would
5: And what happened to Capture The Flag ? probably the best game mode for a FPS game, the Control mode of BF never did anything for me.
6: and where are the "always run" tag in the settings, i play fast i cant be bothered with pressing a run button and running out of breath every 100 M, realism are good in moderate amounts.
And a lot of other things.

There are so many good old games, just tweak those a little on grafixs and weapons, spice with a little physics, and add random maps, and you would have a winner again.
I would like to C4 a wall to open up another path on a map, or close a route permanent with a little C4. Sure some games offer up claymores ASO, but that are not what i am looking for.

TBH its not hard to make a good game, at least if you don't have your head up a place where it don't belong.

Last edited:
They need to stop with the stupid franchises and take some risks. You know, create new IPs that are creative and interesting. I stopped buying their franchise games years ago, since I got bored of the same shit coming out every damn year. EA get your shit together and make some new interesting games people want to buy...

I guess this is a great time to buy EA and nvidia stock.

I cannot believe the number of weenies that have issues with "historical accuracy" and women in the game lol. Videos game are not, and have never been purveyors of accuracy of anything, historical or otherwise, they're 100% bullshit and meant just for wasting time instead of being productive with your life, down time to switch the brain off. The single biggest issue with this game is still the netcode which is too inefficient for their servers to keep up, flash back to the release of BF4, but I've come to expect this as the problems it creates is present in nearly every FPS to some degree.

It's a solid game, the maps are quite good, Russia, America, Japan, etc are not in the war yet, so weapons and maps related to those fronts show up later. It does reward squad play, and you know, flanking, so if you're used to run and gun bullet sponge style you will not have a good time.

Stocks are correcting right now. The main reason is the fed's decision to keep hiking interest rates which pulls liquidity (cash) out of the system. Another big reason is the trade war with china. Smart money keeps selling into the rips while retail investors are moving into cash out of fear the end is nigh but the bull market so far remains in tact, its correcting to the mean after having gone up so much in the last year. EA's drop in value is due partly from these conditions but also because their franchises are failing for obvious reasons and investors don't see the next big game on the horizon. Also investors were pumped on the loot box idea but govs have put the kibosh on that. EA's like a cockroach they'll be back, unfortunately.

3) tank balance, - tanks need to have more splash damage, as do assault RPG rockets/c4. A number of times I've hit a tank with 4 rockets, 2 c4, and the thing moves like nothing happened.
Saw a video from Syria where a T72 was hit by 7 RPGs during CQC and kept driving... practically every hit was clearly visible as it happened. One of the last ones took the external control cable? out that goes to the turret so they couldn't aim but it kept driving and got them home safe. Never understood why that cable was not inside the tank but it was there and it got hit and was mentioned on video.

I cannot believe the number of weenies that have issues with "historical accuracy" and women in the game lol. Videos game are not, and have never been purveyors of accuracy of anything, historical or otherwise, they're 100% bullshit and meant just for wasting time instead of being productive with your life, down time to switch the brain off. The single biggest issue with this game is still the netcode which is too inefficient for their servers to keep up, flash back to the release of BF4, but I've come to expect this as the problems it creates is present in nearly every FPS to some degree.

It's a solid game, the maps are quite good, Russia, America, Japan, etc are not in the war yet, so weapons and maps related to those fronts show up later. It does reward squad play, and you know, flanking, so if you're used to run and gun bullet sponge style you will not have a good time.

welp, i didn't buy this game for the reasons you mentioned. I'm not PC? of course im not PC

There's a HUGE diff between enjoying the shit out of No One Lives Forever 1+2 and Beyond Good and Evil, Tomb Raider...yadayadayada too many examples AND not wanting women just being there for identity-politics and SJW sake.

3) tank balance, - tanks need to have more splash damage, as do assault RPG rockets/c4. A number of times I've hit a tank with 4 rockets, 2 c4, and the thing moves like nothing happened.

This is done on purpose.. tank drivers will cry if one rpg in the back or two mines take them out.. they need their 52-2 kdr.

I'm glad they disappointed. Just like nvidia. Similar to BF1 I feel like Dice could have done something more with the series except re-skin BF4. When I see reflex sights in a WW2 game combined with the let down of no BR mode on release it just felt like a huge opportunity missed. Really annoys me because both BF1 and V look and perform great.

Yeah.. maybe the same old same old games are just getting a little too repetitive!

We want something new and exciting! A new experience! Fresh and fun!

So get out there people and stop playing it safe rehashing the same crap over and over.. take a chance!

Without taking risks we would never of played dragons lair or tetris or the beginning of fighting games with street fighter and mortal kombat! Just think about that..

How can they release this game with 8 maps when the original had 16? They could have redone 8 of the old ones and added 8 new ones? How dumb are they to not see how easy it would be?

How about if they give some attention to a single player game like BFBC3? They are losing many players who are sick and tired of online multiplayer only games.

If game makers move to multi-player focused games and continue to drop single player stuff their profits will continue to drop. Like many (all?) of you, we've played MP and soon realized it got rather boring after a short while, or few were on the server at any given time, or the lag ... oh the lag (quite a few folks in the USA let alone around the globe have better than 10 MB/s connection).

The Boards that run EA and etc want to buy a larger yacht and as long as gamers like myself are foolish enough to keep buying, games will continue to keep getting more boring (case in point, Shadow of the Tomb Raider that has how many 5 minute cut scenes that you can't opt out of?)

I played BF IV single player years ago, got so far into it, the saves corrupted and would have forced me to start clean over. I lost interest after that. I also played about 5 minutes of BF 1 and that was it. What is BFV? ;)

Edit: The corrupt saves issue was a known issue across all platforms and was never fixed.

Oh, this thread again.

I really don't think it is due to revisionism, PC, or or anything of the sort. It's just that not only have we played this game already, we played better versions from the same studio.

Slow the pace down, make some stuff which is truly better or different. Or keep turning the crank and be upset people are tired of the drip feed of sameness.

Couldn’t get into it. Battlefield Vietnam and Battlefield 2 Modern Combat still my favorites.
I don't like everything they do but would hate to see bf shelved. My favorite game by far. EA needs to listen to fans more. Even if a good portion of the PC community can act like total idiots a lot of the time.

IMHO the single player campaigns aren't terrible. They aren't great, but they are tolerable if you are in between good games. The multiplayer - however - for anything in the Battlefield series (or Call of Duty, because let's face it, they are essentially the same game) is complete and utter trash. Fast twitchy nonsense that doesn't resemble anything realistic in the slightest.

People remember the earlier games in the series, like Battlefield 1942 more positively, but I don't think they were actually better. I think it is more a combination of nostalgia, and the fact that they weren't bad for the early 2000's. Games have come a long way since then.

For me Red Orchestra (starting with the Combined Arms UT mod in 2003-2004, later the Ostfront 41-45 game in 2006, and its Darkest hour and Mare Nostrum expansion mods) and finally the Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad game in 2011 have made every other war game feel silly and child-like by comparison. After experiencing the Red Orchestra family, ever other multiplayer FPS feels stupid, twitchy and annoying, lacking in real depth and strategy.

They have since RO2 released Rising Storm (WWII in the Pacific) and Rising Storm 2 (Vietnam). I hear good things. Similar gameplay style based on the same engine fundamentals, but more modern. I haven't been able to get into them though. Something about the Jungle setting just doesn't do it for me. That and Vietnam feels too recent to really get my history senses going.

Either way, my point was that the market has transformed since 2002 when BF1942 was released. It was good for back then, but if BF1942 were released today, with nothing but a 2018 era graphics update, it wouldn't be a very good game. The combination of it being good for its time, and nostalgia has it being rated much higher in peoples minds than it should be.

As far as I am concerned, every last game in the Battlefield and Call of Duty series could disappear and nothing would be lost.

Heck, all of EA could collapse and disappear and I couldn't give a shit. As far as I am concerned, EA haven't released anything of value since the early to mid 90's.

time to skip the annual releases and move to a Biennial release (once every 2 years)

Highly unlikely as BF1 was the best selling BF game to date.
The problem with BF5 is horrible marketing, too little content and too many game modes. I don't know why Dice is trying to please everybody with their different game modes as it just splits up the playerbase and most of these game modes don't even get played. At most they should have a game mode rotation once a week.

I really enjoy playing battlefield with family and friends, but Dice have made some terrible decisions with this release and that'll cost them.

Also there is another reason: BFV is similar to BF1. Yes the gun play is closer to BF4 overall which I like, but to the average customer they're practically the same game. Both are games set in older past wars and the aesthetic looks similar. It didn't help that both BF1 and BFV have an abundance of automatic weapons which make them play fairly similar. Had they went a more realistic route BF1 would have at least played drastically different.

Similar situation with BF3 to BF4. They were similar games so many people skipped BF4. Many people don't buy every game in a series and only buy one that looks fresh or different.

IMHO the single player campaigns aren't terrible. They aren't great, but they are tolerable if you are in between good games. The multiplayer - however - for anything in the Battlefield series (or Call of Duty, because let's face it, they are essentially the same game) is complete and utter trash. Fast twitchy nonsense that doesn't resemble anything realistic in the slightest.

People remember the earlier games in the series, like Battlefield 1942 more positively, but I don't think they were actually better. I think it is more a combination of nostalgia, and the fact that they weren't bad for the early 2000's. Games have come a long way since then.

For me Red Orchestra (starting with the Combined Arms UT mod in 2003-2004, later the Ostfront 41-45 game in 2006, and its Darkest hour and Mare Nostrum expansion mods) and finally the Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad game in 2011 have made every other war game feel silly and child-like by comparison. After experiencing the Red Orchestra family, ever other multiplayer FPS feels stupid, twitchy and annoying, lacking in real depth and strategy.

They have since RO2 released Rising Storm (WWII in the Pacific) and Rising Storm 2 (Vietnam). I hear good things. Similar gameplay style based on the same engine fundamentals, but more modern. I haven't been able to get into them though. Something about the Jungle setting just doesn't do it for me. That and Vietnam feels too recent to really get my history senses going.

Either way, my point was that the market has transformed since 2002 when BF1942 was released. It was good for back then, but if BF1942 were released today, with nothing but a 2018 era graphics update, it wouldn't be a very good game. The combination of it being good for its time, and nostalgia has it being rated much higher in peoples minds than it should be.

As far as I am concerned, every last game in the Battlefield and Call of Duty series could disappear and nothing would be lost.

Heck, all of EA could collapse and disappear and I couldn't give a shit. As far as I am concerned, EA haven't released anything of value since the early to mid 90's.

They aren't. Honestly it doesn't make you sound edgy or cool to say that either. If you spent 15 minutes playing both online you'd see that. Even in TDM/Domination the maps in BF are much bigger than CoD. The last CoD I played online on a freed weekend was very different. Flaming text flew across the screen when I got kills, rock music would play, players could call in air strikes or other "kill streak bonuses", you could make your hands magically reload a gun in half the amount of time if you chose that perk. There was also no server browser.

Ironically you mentioned RO2. I went to BF3 because it was actually more realistic in some ways than RO2. Movement had more realistic momentum. In RO2 you would hover over stairs, in BF3 you would actually walk on each step so movement was realistically slowed. Running speed in RO2 was extremely fast and arcade like. You could shoot bolt action rifles quicker than the animation. Those horrific, cheesy speech lines during battle.

I hated Darkest Hour as well. The suppression system was horrific, the spawning in a bunker and then teleporting somewhere else sucked to.

I like Rising Storm 2 Vietnam because it is much smoother and less cumbersome than RO2. But it isn't as good as Ost Front. I doubt TWI will ever do something as good and ironically, as refined as Ost Front again.

Last edited:
yet you have the time to post asking what it is?! back under the bridge, troll...

Actually no, I am not trolling and I was genuinely curious. However even those links you posted did not really clarify WTF "get woke go broke" really means. I mean, I already understand that this sentence is often used for companies who go overly PC and end up shooting themselves into the foot with it. But it still does not tell me anything WTF that sentence actually means! Get woke! Woke from what? As in awaken from something? What the hell!? That sentence does not mean anything sensible on its own. If someone on the street comes up and says those four words in front of my face I would not have a single fricking clue what he just said.

*edit* Heh, I just realised something. I have been a citizen of the internets for over a decade and this is the first time anyone has ever called me a troll.

Last edited:
Ohhhhh the memories! Those were the days for sure :D Ever make it to Louisville for any LW/MML events back then? The clan handle is ringing an old bell

The record may be incomplete, but it seems we played you guys (secon) at least 4 times: dec 7, 03, cal market garden, march 1, 04, cal liberation of caen, march 7, 04 cal pre-season ural foothills, march 14, 04 cal gazala. I can't find any of the old twl stuff, but we did 8's and 5 man there too, so there may be more.

I didn't do the lan circuit. The girl who would eventually become my wife didn't like the idea of me running around the country playing video games... strangely. :) However, LeGun from the team did. After kc|w he went to HOT and they did a bunch of good things and won some nice coin. If there was a lan with money, they were there.

Give me a good modern shooter. Not some tactical thing but not too arcady. I don't know of anything else that compares. Not sure red orchestra fits the bill. Haven't played but remember not being impressed when I checked it out.

I can't do all the sci fi space fake stuff.

welp, i didn't buy this game for the reasons you mentioned. I'm not PC? of course im not PC

There's a HUGE diff between enjoying the shit out of No One Lives Forever 1+2 and Beyond Good and Evil, Tomb Raider...yadayadayada too many examples AND not wanting women just being there for identity-politics and SJW sake.

lol, you mean attempt to sell and attract more female gamers, and sweaty nerds that like to play as female avatars, don't pretend it's anything else, recognize it, and move on with your life. The fact you even care enough to not want women in the game is just beyond me...don't be such a weenie.

Do we have an option to turn women off the game? I've played it a while maybe 2 maps since I've owned it prob over a month and I kept hearing women voices in the game.. I'm like seriosuly?

I just didn't buy it because I wasn't sure I'd play it. I bought 3 copies of BF1 and barely played it. It was alright, I just didn't get into it. Same with titanfall 2. It seemed fun but I got busy with life. I really enjoyed BF2/3/4. I played a little 1942, vietnam, etc, but not enough to really have an opinion on them. I thought BF4 (once the crashing bugs were fixed) was a tonne of fun.

BF5 I bought a copy on sale for one of my kids, we'll see how it goes. I think the issue is just that so many Battlefield games have come out that they're kinda old news. My kids are liking Fortnite and R6 Siege and Overwatch. I'd rather play Battlefield than fortnite anyday, but fortnite is what the kids are playing and I think companies don't realize that free-to-play, low requirements, and full cross-platform is a winning recipe. They all seem to think battle royale is what made it popular and I think it's the ease of access and silly stuff like dances, shopping carts, golf carts, building battles, paragliding, etc. Kids eat that stuff up. And free... I've easily spent hundreds on fortnite buying season passes for multiple kids and other things, but that's what they want to spend money on.

Played over 1700 hours of BF4.. played 50 hours of BF1 and uninstalled. Pre-ordered BF5 and it's an ok game. Has it's issues but it's way better than BF1 and I needed a change from BF4.

Don't much care for the dev injecting his SJW crap into the game and telling those of us who have carried the franchise to suck it if we don't like it... but his ass got sacked. Oh.. and you might want to tread lightly on the EA forum... I got warned nearly immediately in a post about lackluster sales for mentioning Söderlund's comments as a possible reason people decided not to purchase the game. Was told it was just a tweet... and I quote "exaggerated and taken out of context over and over again".

45% huh? Sounds like telling your customers not to buy your product was a pretty fucking stupid thing to do then. Maybe now, EA, you'll understand that if you want to succeed in business YOU GIVE THE CUSTOMER WHAT THEY WANT.

Wonder if the Battlefield franchise will get shelved at some point like Medal of Honor did. That was ea's big vision several years back, a yearly rotation of MOH one year and BF the next. MOH Warfighter shit the bed and led to the franchise getting shelved, then replaced with Battlefront. After the outrage about Battlefront 2 last year and now Battlefield 5 this year, it's not looking good for either franchise right now.

Maybe if EA actually ya know...let the devs make the game without some bullshit "October to Christmas" deadline constantly they would end up with a better product. Imagine "shipping" a game when it's complete instead of releasing it in a beta state then patching it to completion with multiple

gigabytes of "updates". Battlefield is too big and complex of a game to have an iteration every 2 years and that's even with them recycling a lot of ingame assets.

Oh wait, i seem to be rambling like a madman :cautious:

Battlefield and DICE died a long time ago. As a diehard battlefield fan since 42 its time for both to go.

Hey Dice, how's that Battlefield V(agina) working out for you? huh? (you know if it bleeds every 28 days it's a female , but if it bleeds 24/7 it's terminal )
Though EA's business model:

Step 1: steal underpants
Step 2: ????
Step 3: profit

Certainly isn't helping. They should just go full retard and hire 'Rian the boat maker' to seal the fate of the company more quickly.

People on the far left extreme of the political spectrum which have as a fringe group been dubbed sjw's and or npc's share a core philosoyphy ( that is not well thought out and more often than not, very naive ) which stems from these people's belief that they ( and thier idealism ) is an out growth from them having attained a higher level of consciousness; having been "awakened".
They describe themselves as being 'woke' and use this "woke-ness" as a justification for why their ideas are the correct ideas ( and why any ideas different from their's are the wrong ones and are bad-think ) Over the last few years these Social Justice Warriors ( that's what they called themselves until the term SJW took on a decidedly pejorative cast ) types have tried very very hard to force their philosophy onto everyone by gaining control over various media forms and subverting whatever existing paradigm's were there by replacing it with their own

Some of the more notable examples of this philosophical subversion destroying franchises and losing investors money ( hence 'get woke go broke' ) are:
Ghost Busters 2016
Lucas film ( and the star wars franchise after/because of TLJ )
Marvel comics ( since about 2014 )
Mass Effect Andromeda
Star Trek Discovery
Doctor Who

An antecedent to the term ' get woke go broke ' is how these far left extremists treat people that do not conform 100% to their way of thinking. That treatment is unbridled rage and resentment, they insult and decry customers and fans for ANY criticism or critique and blame the fans /customers for poor returns citing 'fan toxicity' as THE reason their respective IP transformation failed .

Finally! Thank you! So the Woke is more like a name they have taken because they see themsleves "Awakened ones" or "ascended" or something like that. Really, how ridiculously arrogant and juvenile can they be... :ROFLMAO: but anyway, now that I know the Woke is a name the sentence makes more sense now.

It is sad to see what has become of EA (and Activision). I'm old enough to fondly remember Activision being a new studio with some cool releases for the Atari 2600. And EA? How many here are old enough to remember when they were the innovative, new kid on the block with the rave reviews? Games like Dr. J vs Larry Bird, Adventure Construction Set, Bard's Tale - and the list goes on and on.

Now, both companies are more interested in milking every last penny out of gamers than taking chances on innovative new games. It is really a sad state. I remember the video game crash of 1983 very well and am shocked we haven't had another given the "rinse and repeat" formula used by the major studios. Over the last couple of years, I've seriously thought about giving up on modern gaming and returning to classical and retro gaming.

Now get off my lawn!

Me too....except I have resorted to starting my own indy studio and making games I want to play :p

BFV is trash and a disgrace of the franchise. I'm glad they are feeling it in the wallet.

As for myself, I'll never forgive EA for what they did to Westwood Studios and the Command and Conquer series.

Don't forget Maxis and Sim City series.

Why wouldn't the weapons and maps show up earlier? I mean, we apparently don't care about historical accuracy, right?

I play ARMA 3's Iron Front for its historical accuracy. I wouldn't play a WW2 game unless it was faithful to historical content. WW2 and WW1 are very important historical subjects to me. My 100 year old Grandfather served in WW2 and hearing about his experiences is something incredibly important to me. WW2 still feels kinda recent to me. I wouldn't enjoy playing this game if I wanted a WW2 game faithful to history. We were a lot more racist and sexist back then, and we shouldn't try to gloss that over. I want my history, warts and all.

I love history regarding WW1 and 2 and I could talk about it all day. Making recreations of events on ARMA is a lot of fun for me and my WW2 ARMA group. A lot of the members are veterans who served, and playing ARMA is a great way to deal with that stress for them because it is very realistic.

At the same time, I can enjoy playing Call of Duty Nazi Zombies, but at that point, it is no longer a WW2 game to me.

Back